“Excellent.”

Ranked #16 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Newmarket, Canada
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights after going to Everest Base Camp. I had stayed at two hitels prior and this was by far the best. The rooms are modest but good for the price. The staff and location are excellent. Highly recommened.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tyler C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed for 4 days in this hotel, and it was very good for me. Althought they need to improve a bit the accomodations, the crew was very helpful, their manager Sunil, arranged every activity for me, so i didnt have to worry. The breakfast was very good and the location was awesome. I will repeat my stay anytime.

Luis from Panama

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Luis R
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Spent a few days here recently on my first trip to Nepal. The staff were helpful friendly and arranged a day tour of temples and a short Trek for me during my stay. They recommended eating places when I asked. The rooms are big and have everything you need. Taking into account this is a budget hotel, it's hard to be critical and the breakfast served on the roof is a great way to start the day. There are 6 floors and no elevator. Not really a problem as the staff carried my bags but I think it's good to know this. Recommend this hotel based on my time there.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank steven f
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel Backyard is an excellent choice in Katmandu. Located in the heart of Thamel near restaurants, cafes, shops and everything you need. This budget hotel is clean, comfortable and safe with super friendly and helpful staff. Mr Sunil (manager) and Mr. Durga (owner) are always around to make your stay more pleasant. They can also arrange all your travel needs in other parts of Nepal. This is the only budget hotel in the area with its own clean water supply. I have checked most of the hotels in Thamel area and this is by far the best.

هتل بک یارد یکی از بهترین انتخاب های موجود در کاتماندو است . این هتل در قلب شهر تامِل ، در نزدیکی رستوران ها ، کافه ها ، مراکز خرید و سایر اماکن مورد نیاز برای تفریح ، خرید و سرگرمی واقع شده است . این هتل با مالکیت آقای دورگار و مدیریت آقای سونیل ، مکانی آرام و راحت با فضایی دوستانه و سرویس دهی مناسب ، از قیمت های مناسبی نیز برخوردار است . همچنین این هتل می تواند تمامی سفر شما به نپال را مدیریت و برنامه ریزی کرده و در اختیار شما قرار دهد . من هتل های بسیاری را چک کردم و این هتل با فاصله ی بسیاری ، بهترین هتل آن منطقه است .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Farzad K
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just a month ago, I was very pleased with the services provided by the Backyard Hotel. Working staff were so humble and polite. Food was really nice. Nice and clean room which make me feel like my home. I have the best time in Backyard Hotel. Nice view of the capital city from the hotel and budget room really worth the price. Thank you Backyard Hotel for the awesome service.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last summer. The hotel is very near the main road in Kathmandu Thamel, but in a parallel street so it is quiet.
At the time of my stay there was no generator so blackouts were frequent. The structure is run down. The antenna and the wi-fi had occasional troubles. The personnel has always been very kind. I left because I found a bed bug and was terrified.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Jappd
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
We have no idea how we can respond to this review. This is a clear example of the negative parts of TripAdvisor. We might say this review to be fake because we believe we have had no such issues in the past or, the reviewer is trying to give you a wrong information, but this way we are also creating confusions about the excellent remarks being real. So, it is the duty of TripAdviosr to investigate on this if they are really keen on providing good service to their audience and customers.

On behalf of the hotel...we would say, The review is suspicious. If the review is REAL and is from a REAL EXPERIENCE of our guest, we are shocked to know that one of our guest faced this problem in the past, and sad that, we or any of the review readers got to know this only today via this doubtful review with no contacts, AFTER A long YEAR, and the reviewer took a long time thinking to write this review or not, also visited one of our competitor hotels twice between the interval, reviewing them immediately both the time. We are not sure. If this is our competitor writing this review, they must have had a master plan. They must be a professionals. The reviewer has also posted a picture if the bathroom, but it is really clear, especially to us ,from the evidence in the picture, it to be a recent one, more than 10 months after the reviewer has mentioned to have stayed at our place.

Nepal faces maximum blackouts everyday, which has been a big problem not only for the nation but also for tourists. Being a small budget hotel, we have tried not to use generators not only to make our room prices be on budget but also to avoid the loud noise all day and night. So we have been rather using batteries since the start to provide power for lights to our rooms and keep the Wi-Fi working 24 hours, which kind if very hardly goes off. And there is always this facility to charge batteries for your electronics at the lobby. This is the other reason the review being suspicious.

Until TripAdvisor makes the decision, we are afraid to suffer from this doubtful message and so will our valued customers, THOUGH WE ASSURE YOU FROM THE HOTEL'S SIDE, YOU WILL FACE NO PROBLEM LIKE THIS. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Backyard Hotel
Marseille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was happily surprised by this Nice Hotel located in the city center. I emailed them really late for the airport pickup and they managed to send someone. The staff is really friendly and helpful. The room are clean and you feel like home. Breakfast is good. I had the budget room which is really worth the price. the bathroom is outside but you dont share it with anyone. Its really easy to walk around and there are restaurant at few meters. I needed the wifi to work and it was really fast and reliable. I totally recommend this place. I hope it helped you in your decision..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo