“Amazing Experience!”

Hotel Family Home
Ranked #6 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
“Amazing Experience!”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I have nothing but amazing things to say about these accommodations. The staff were incredible, and we have left there with close friends whom we are still in touch with. Providing the most optimal living conditions ensuring we were always happy, the staff at hotel family home were truly a family to us while we stayed. I plan to go back to Nepal as I fell in love, and this place had a lot to do with why I had such a great experience. Sleeping and living conditions can make or break an experience, and this was such a plus in my travels to Nepal!

It was so close to everything we needed- grocery store, shops, food places and local bars. One of the greatest things was having complimentary breakfast every morning.. waking up to the smiling faces of the staff there, who eventually got to know what we ate every day. Wifi was also included and was actually pretty fast considering the area!

Room Tip: Higher floors are closer to the rooftop patio for early morning breakfasts :)
3 Thank Maaandss
hotelfamilynepal, Manager at Hotel Family Home, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Lovely Guests….
I have no words to start and give thank you for this review you drop on tripadvisor,thank you is not enough but still the same way to thanking you ,It was really our pleasure to have you all in our home as a guest and finally the member of family home ,I didn’t fell like you guys were staying with us for a month ,all of you were so friendly and smiling all the time which motivated all of our staff for their work and hospitality ,I am sure you had a very very great time at our place
On the day you were leaving was soo sad to say you good bye and got your hugs ….i was looking you guys on the way can until I could see you …and had a full of tear in my eyes ,I know its normal to have the guest in the hotel and say good bye when they check out but I could not accept it this time easily because of my personal touh with you all as my good friend
Anyway thank you very much for the sweet words you drop on tripadviosr about the family home and service and I really home to see you again at hotel family home
Mukti and family home team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
NY
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I spent a week in Nepal with my wife and daughter to view the area and see Mount Everest. When we arrived in Kathmandu we stayed at the Hotel Family Home in Thamel where we were greeted by Mr. Mukti Pandey. The hotel is conveniently located in the busy streets of Thamel which is walking distance to restaurants and shopping areas. We were able to arrange a room for the night and a package for the week which included a driver, airfare, reservations at hotels, and the tour guides at various sites. The package was thorough and included Pokhara, Bhaktapur, and the beautiful Nagarkot in the mountains. The staff was excellent in the Hotel View Point where we saw the Himalayan range from the roof. The Mountain Flight was arranged for the second day but it had to be canceled and rescheduled and this was done successfully by Mr. Mukti Pandey. The tour that he arranged for us is what we wanted to see and do, and was made with our interests in mind as well as our safe travel with drivers meeting us at airports. The drivers are always on time, courteous and most of all friendly with an attitude to help us navigate thru the city and country. We especially want to mention Deepak our tour guide. He is knowledgeable and an excellent driver. We saw Mount Everest from a Mountain Flight before we left and the vacation was complete with thanks to Mukti and Deepak for treating us like family.

Jack Dougherty and family

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Levita D
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Hotel living arrangements mean everything to me when I'm traveling and the staff at Hotel Family Home did an excellent job in making sure we had a great experience. The cost per night is more than reasonable. The hotel is conveniently surrounded by restaurants, souvenir shops, grocery stores and bars for nightly entertainment - all within walking distance. My stay at Hotel Family Home will be unforgettable because the staff were super friendly and accommodating. Let's also not forget about their delicious complimentary breakfasts. My special each morning was the over-easy eggs with a side of potatoes and 2 pieces of toast. Yum! The rooms were spacious and clean. I've had the opportunity to stay at both Hotel Family Homes in Kathmandu and Pokhara. Definitely recommend them. The view from the hotel in Pokhara was stunning as you looked out to the Himalayas in the morning. I can honestly say, the hotel experience definitely contributed to my fond memories of Nepal!

3 Thank Tiny_jd10
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed in Hotel Family Home for 2 weeks and it was great! Good location - 5 minutes from grocery stores, bars, bus stations, and cheap restaurants. Had airport pick up and drop off arranged. They also arranged our stay and travel to Pokhara. Staff were so friendly and nice. There was always a guard at night so I felt very safe. The rooftop morning complimentary breakfasts were such a treat - potatoes, paratha, eggs, porridge, and many different drinks. Views from the rooftop were gorgeous! The rooms had double beds and clean, dry sheets. The rooms also had a large cabinet that you could lock. We opted not to have A/C and just had a fan and we were comfortable. Wifi worked better in the hallways or on the 7th floor as that's where the router is. It was very fast and I regularly updated Facebook with tons of photos without having to wait very long. As there were regular power outages (normal in Nepal) the hotel offerred power in the hallways in case you needed to charge electronics.

Room Tip: 7th floor as it's closest to the wireless router.
2 Thank mafer7
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We booked at Family Home Annex and was brought here mistakenly- which was not bad as this was a better location. The staff were amazing and major reason for our going back there on our return from Pokhara. The Hotel however could use a little renovation (the walls had moss)- and sheets etc needs to be replaced. The bathrooms were clean. Would recommend this place definitely.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AnkanSiddiquee
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Was picked up at the airport and upgraded to a deluxe room. Found it a really nice place to relax and escape from the madness of thamel. Very central location, reasonably priced and clean rooms.
I would recommend this to friends.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank maggallagher
hotelfamilynepal, Manager at Hotel Family Home, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Guest
Namaste and regards from Kathmandu,Thank you very much for the wonderful review you drop us on the tripadvisor,we would be very please to see you again in our home ,
Mukti & Family home group
India
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Very delayed review since I have been busy travelling extensively last couple of months. We stayed at the Family Home Annexxe in February 2012.

- Rooms at the Annexxe are new, very well furnished and very clean. No bathtubs, but nice beds and very spacious rooms.

- They offer a free airport pickup, a drop back to the airport costs NRs 500 which is pretty much the going rate.

- Rooms have flat screen TV, air conditioning and free WiFi access. Due to the nearby dance clubs, some rooms are a bit noisy in the evenings till about 11pm.

- Breakfast is up on the roof and is nice enough. At the time we stayed there, there was no restaurant facility and having a restaurant on the roof would be great!

- What struck me the most and the reason I recommend this place is because of the personal interest that Mr. Mukti Pandey, the owner, takes in the daily running of the hotel. He took time to speak to us, ask suggestions etc. Very much appreciated and will definitely return to this hotel whenever I travel to Kathmandu.

- In summary, very nice and clean hotel, affordable rates, polite staff and a owner who's involved and working to make your stay comfortable.. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the dance clubs since they are noisy in the evenings till late night!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TechieDoc
hotelfamilynepal, Manager at Hotel Family Home, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Guest ,Namaste and thank you so much for the time you manage to write a review about your stay in our home ,Its been really our pleasure to serve you in our home as a guest and we all are glad to read your wonderful review ,Thank you very much for your comments about the rooms,staffs and breakfast
We are waiting for you to well come in our home again
Mukti and family home group