“Best hotel in the best location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Family Home

Hotel Family Home
Ranked #3 of 190 Hotels in Kathmandu
Bangkok, Thailand
“Best hotel in the best location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Our group spent 3 nights in this hotel. The hotel itself is located in the heart of Tamel. The big clean room is equipped with good quality mattress. Staffs are friendly and helpful. I really like the rooftop restaurant. If you are looking for the good hotel with reasonable price, I highly recommend this hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelfamilynepal, Manager at Hotel Family Home, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Bua and Team,
Thank you very much for your time to drop this review,we were really proud to have you and your group in our hotel as a guest ,it was our pleasure to provide all service as our rutting ,
once again thank you very much for your great comment about the staffs/services/location and quality of the Family home
we look forward to seeing you again at hotel family home
Mukti Pandey & Family Home team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I took the trekking trip to ABC last month with this company. They arranged the trip, planned for trekking route, prepared accommodation, food and local transportation very well. I and every one in the group were very enjoy. This was my first time in Nepal. I needed the company that was very helpful and reliable. Great that I found Hotel Family Home. I was very impressed with their great service. For sure, I will go with this company to another trekking route. If you will trek in Nepal for the first time, try Hotel Family Home.

Dear Tid and friends,
It was great to read your words on trip advisor this morning , once again your review has been encouraged our team to be more careful about the service at the hotel family home for the future guests and get the fantastic recommendation like you have done
we are really happy to hear that you like our services ,and thank you very much for the great comment about our trip arrangement for your group which was our pleasure ,we really happy to know that you had enjoyed your trip to ABC as well which we had arranged for you ,we really look forward to seeing you again at Family Home
Mukti Pandey & Family Home Team
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I spent in this lovely hotel 2 nights on my arrival in KTM and 2 nights before departure.

I was the tour leader of a group of 8 people who were there for an Expedition in Khumbu (3 passes + Island Peak). Hotel is clean and the room are really big the personell very friendly and also the breakfast rich and good. I can define it a cheap and friendly place.

You can leave your baggage there during all the trek period....it is in Centre of Thamel, very close to main stores (North face, Sonam, Montain Gear).

I reccommend....

Luca

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I do not mind about not having hot water or the power cuts, this is to be expected and you take this in your stride. I did however expect the bedsheets to be cleaned- they were not. My partner and I slept in our sleeping bags. The room is very very noisy. Don't expect to get to sleep before 11pm and be expected to get woken at around 4am from all the noise.

Given the excellent reviews on this hotel, I was expecting the staff to be very friendly and I have to say, I was disappointed. They were not particularly friendly although they were not rude. What I found particularly annoying however was the over the odds price they charged us from the hotel to Nagarkot- $70 one way. Be prepared to get ripped off by this hotel where they can!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Celene29
hotelfamilynepal, Manager at Hotel Family Home, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Celene,
Thank you very much for your time to write this review,I really appreciate that you have given us the notice which we should improve
At the same time I would like to make clear about some of your complain which is totally nonsense
Firstly about the transport to Nagarkot:
When you have had asked the transport our staff have told you clearly that this is going to be expensive, because there was the “Strike” going on in the city because of the election ,there was no transport at all on the road and we had arranged you the special transport just for the tourist with high risk which is of course expensive then other time ,and you had agrred with it and finally you wanted to pay less which was not possible ,
I am pretty sure this is the only reason that you did not like our hotel ,if you just going to be emotional with such small things and write the bad things about the hotel we can not say anyting ,we must accept it …I hope all the travellers who read this review understand it
About the friendly staffs/clean/hot water/ and all there are over 50 guest everyday in our hotel none of them have the problem ,I am surprise how did you get the trouble
Even you had the such a problem I appolige from our team and we premise you all that we will maintain the better service
About the power cut off yes we have this problem in whole country but we still have the back up for important things
About the noise it is bit noisy in Thamel until 10 pm after that is not noisy ,there was the night club next door before now that has been moved as well
Anyway we are here for make your stay wonderful
With best regards
Mukti & Family Home Team
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I just finished 9 weeks in Nepal, mostly trekking. We originally chose Hotel Family Home, because they were linked to a Tourist bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara. They also offered trekking organisation, from porters, transport, TIMS card, the lot. Their prices were good. For the first 3 weeks we had friends join us and we did Poon hill and Langtang in a group of ten. Their service was excellent. I could not imagine a better guide. My wife and I latter did Annapurna base camp, Annapurna circuit and part of the Helambu track. I priced other companies for transport etc but Family Home in Pokhara and Kathmandu were cheaper. The staff were very friendly and relaxed. Nothing was ever a problem, they looked after us so very well. You can find cheaper accommodation in Pokhara and Kathmandu, but this was great value for the price. I would definitely recommend them and use them again. Mukti runs the trekking side of things, he was originally a porter, then guide. His experience is invaluable , he runs his business well. Kevin and Mary Ann from Australia.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms in Pokhara have better views,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bacolod, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for only 1 night mid October. Me and my friends arrived 2 days earlier than our reserved date. We had to make an on the spot decision the day before to fly to Kathmandu directly from Lhasa as the China-Nepal highway was impassable due to the snowstorm. They were still able to accommodate us even in this situation. Very friendly, very efficient. They offered us some tour options to fill in our time which were also good but we decided to just add to our already reserved itinerary with socialtours.

We took 2 budget rooms, one triple and one double and they were all very spacious. Having no air-conditioning was ok since the weather was starting to get colder. Our stay also included a wonderful breakfast set at the rooftop.

In terms of location, Family Home is easily accessible, being adjacent to Thamel and smack dab in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city. If you wanted time to shop or eat something, just go out of the hotel and everything is available. Very convenient and a highly recommended budget stay in Kathmandu.

1 Thank wt1986
Yomitan-son Nakagami-gun, Okinawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Hotel Family Home was more than an excellent hotel, they bent over backwards to accomadate us. After breaking my ankle in Shanghai running away from the chinese mafia, I thought my Nepal trip was shot.(Never get the massages in Shanghai) After all who goes to Nepal and doesn't hike?!? I was determined however to visit Nepal and experience this beautiful country. Hotel Family Home met me and my friends at Kathmandu airport, let me use their hiking stick as a crutch the entire two weeks we were there. Set us up with a guide, a private jeep, and set up our outings. The manager even went rafting with us! Granted he almost drowned but he was a good sport about it. (Phil says sorry for cutting your hands from the lifeline...) They even went so far as to set us up with a home stay with thier family in the mountains. This turned out to be a misadventure due to the muddy mountain roads in Aug. but they made their best attempt and now we have some amazing memories getting the jeep stuck in the mud looking down into the valley. If I ever return to Nepal Hotel Family Home is my Family in the foothills of the Himalayas.

Room Tip: showers are heated by solar power so if you want a hot shower wait until later in the day.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends