“Red Planet... Stay There or Be Square”
Review of Hotel Red Planet

Hotel Red Planet
Ranked #177 of 458 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Thamel can be a super confusing place. Hotels, restaurants, shops that sell endless trinkets, it can all be a little overwhelming at first. Luckily, Red Planet is a refuge in the chaos of it all. The staff is so amazingly accommodating, the rooms are great value for the price, and the whole hotel has a great vibe to it. One of my favorite features was the open lobby. It is totally common to find a fellow traveller relaxing there and I made multiple friendships by just staying in the lobby and chatting for hours. It is located really conveniently in Thamel and Durbar Square is only a 20 minute walk away. I really can't recommend this place enough! The owner Mahedj, his daughter Niti, and her husband Sanjiv, are special people. Stop by!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 June 2013

After many years, away from Kathmandu..a disappointing return. Noisy, chaotic and polluted.
I would endure it again, to return to this hotel!

Mahedj, the owner, Niti, his daughter and Sanjiv(?), her husband, were a delight. Friendly and very helpful. Absolutely no issues, with sevice, hot water, wifi etc. My room overlooked a garden
and given this is Tamel, was as good as it gets..noise-wise!

Highly recommended, as a centrally located budget hotel. Probably my best hotel experience.

Room Tip: Choose your room, carefully..noise could be an issue, at the front
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this hotel in Kathmandu for the first nights of my 2,5 month's travel. I came back to Kathmandu several times (after trekking, after visiting other countries etc.) and it was a pleasure to be back at this hotel all times. Simple didn't feel the need to search for another place! The staff is very friendly and will always help you when needed. Very welcoming. The rooftop terrace is nice to have breakfast. Wifi is available for free and has decent reception in the main areas; for some of the rooms and the rooftop, the signal is somewhat weak. Although there are powercuts in Kathmandu, wifi always worked! If you're out for trekking (must do!), you can easily store the luggage you don't need at this hotel for free. I'll definitely visit Nepal again and Hotel Red Planet will be the starting point again!

N.b. Don't confuse this hotel with Red Planet Guest House! Reviews from guests who stayed there were not very positive...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I found out about this guesthouse from another trekkers I met during my EBC trek. First time around I got the room on the same floor with the reception, a bit dark and the window is facing the inside.

Third time around I got the single room with nice balcony, inside bathroom, nice window with light coming to the room and quite spacious room for myself.

What I love about this place the staff are so friendly, they treat you like your own family. No matter what time or whoever in the reception they always smiling and help you with their heart. One year after I came back, the lady recognized me. From then I keep coming back and hopefully I'll come back soon in the near future.

Oh did I tell you about the strategic location? :-) Oh and did I tell you about probably the hottest and the strongest shower in the whole Nepal??

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I made Hotel Red Planet our base for our recent travel around Nepal.
It is very centrally located. The family is extremely nice and helpful and the hotel arranges bus tickets and other travel and activity bookings.
Niti took us to a paschmina shop and the shop owner explained all the materials to us and was extremely honest regarding what is on the label and what is actually in the shawl/scarf and gave us really good prices.
The breakfast on the roofterrace was delicious and very well priced.
The hotel also has a water refill station which reduces the purchases of plastic bottles and helps out the environment.
The rooms were clean and bright - if you want to reserve / book online please use agoda.com as the other link leads to the red planet guesthouse which is NOT the red planet hotel and your money will go somewhere you might not want to stay.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay with this genuine and heartwarming family and felt very welcome here. We will return on our next visit to Nepal :):)
Thank you again for your wonderful hospitality and all your help and advice.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 16 April 2013

we came to Thamel, Kathmandu without any booking and no idea where we gonna stay. This was after 3 weeks of traveling in India and Nepal. Red Planet guest house was a first choice since the receptionist was very nice, friendly and helpful. Price was OK too. Rooms are clean and although we did not get the room with the window to the garden we did not mind. It is bit off the main road so it is relatively quite. One of the best place we stayed in our travels.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel Red Planet during two separate visits to Kathmandu. The rooms are clean, the internet works, the food prices at the rooftop cafe are a bargain, and the open aired ambiance of the lobby and facility keep the place cool and fresh. The staff go out of their way to assist their guests and are extremely friendly. Paid 800 rupee for a great double bed with attached bathroom. Great location in the heart of Thamel.

Room Tip: The family room is a great bargain if you're traveling in a group. It includes a corner balcony...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple