“a 'home away from home' ın Thamel....”
Review of Hotel Red Planet

Hotel Red Planet
Ranked #169 of 433 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Istanbul, Turkey
“a 'home away from home' ın Thamel....”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been come to Red Planet for over 3 years now, and always return to the warmth of this hotel! The staff ıs all trustworthy, I am a jeweler, and vısıt Thamel ın order to make various expensive gemstones items, AND NEVER WORRY ABOUT LEAVING ANY OF THEM IN MY ROOM. (I live ın Thailand, and cannot say the same about that country), The price ıs fair, and the owners wıll always remember your name upon your second and third arrival into their beautiful country. Unlike other hotels ın the area, their entire family takes the time to get to know their guests, and they try to make you feel at home. İ love and mıss RED PLANNET!!!!!! .

Room Tip: The room behind the front desk has a wrap around balcony!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We came to Nepal to trek the Himalayas. We arrived at midnight, without reservation and were given a room immediately without fuss (or check-in - we checked in the next morning). The next day we learned that flights had been grounded to Lukla for four days previously, but Niti still managed to arrange our flights for the very next day.

On our trek, we called ahead to change the date of our flight back to Kathmandu and, despite sparse telephone availability in the mountains, a short telephone call to the Hotel was enough - the staff took care of the rest and we returned to Kathmandu with no problems. Niti even came Pashmina shopping with us to help us find the good stuff and get a fair price. The accomodation was clean, well presented and extremely comfortable. The hotel was a relaxing escape from the chaotic bustle of Thamel, with cheap and tasty breakfast and a great bananna lassi.

Some say we were lucky on this trip, but really, it was mostly the friendly and wonderful service of the staff at Hotel Red Planet.

Word of warning: Don't mix this place up with the Red Planet Guesthouse!! It's not the same place, and some taxi services try to take you there instead. Show them the phone number and insist they take you to Hotel Red Planet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I felt at home at hotel red planet, niti (owner/manager) was fantastic. Stopped at nothing to assist in making my stay wonderful. The rooms are clean and very reasonably priced. Staff are so friendly and extremely helpful organising, tours, taxis and local knowledge to the best buff momos and town! Also if you are keen to learn ask niti for a one on one cooking lesson, the best dal bhat. Fantastic place wouldn't stay any where else in Kathmandu!!

• Stayed October 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Thamel can be a super confusing place. Hotels, restaurants, shops that sell endless trinkets, it can all be a little overwhelming at first. Luckily, Red Planet is a refuge in the chaos of it all. The staff is so amazingly accommodating, the rooms are great value for the price, and the whole hotel has a great vibe to it. One of my favorite features was the open lobby. It is totally common to find a fellow traveller relaxing there and I made multiple friendships by just staying in the lobby and chatting for hours. It is located really conveniently in Thamel and Durbar Square is only a 20 minute walk away. I really can't recommend this place enough! The owner Mahedj, his daughter Niti, and her husband Sanjiv, are special people. Stop by!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 June 2013

After many years, away from Kathmandu..a disappointing return. Noisy, chaotic and polluted.
I would endure it again, to return to this hotel!

Mahedj, the owner, Niti, his daughter and Sanjiv(?), her husband, were a delight. Friendly and very helpful. Absolutely no issues, with sevice, hot water, wifi etc. My room overlooked a garden
and given this is Tamel, was as good as it gets..noise-wise!

Highly recommended, as a centrally located budget hotel. Probably my best hotel experience.

Room Tip: Choose your room, carefully..noise could be an issue, at the front
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Horst, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this hotel in Kathmandu for the first nights of my 2,5 month's travel. I came back to Kathmandu several times (after trekking, after visiting other countries etc.) and it was a pleasure to be back at this hotel all times. Simple didn't feel the need to search for another place! The staff is very friendly and will always help you when needed. Very welcoming. The rooftop terrace is nice to have breakfast. Wifi is available for free and has decent reception in the main areas; for some of the rooms and the rooftop, the signal is somewhat weak. Although there are powercuts in Kathmandu, wifi always worked! If you're out for trekking (must do!), you can easily store the luggage you don't need at this hotel for free. I'll definitely visit Nepal again and Hotel Red Planet will be the starting point again!

N.b. Don't confuse this hotel with Red Planet Guest House! Reviews from guests who stayed there were not very positive...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I found out about this guesthouse from another trekkers I met during my EBC trek. First time around I got the room on the same floor with the reception, a bit dark and the window is facing the inside.

Third time around I got the single room with nice balcony, inside bathroom, nice window with light coming to the room and quite spacious room for myself.

What I love about this place the staff are so friendly, they treat you like your own family. No matter what time or whoever in the reception they always smiling and help you with their heart. One year after I came back, the lady recognized me. From then I keep coming back and hopefully I'll come back soon in the near future.

Oh did I tell you about the strategic location? :-) Oh and did I tell you about probably the hottest and the strongest shower in the whole Nepal??

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo