“Dodgy manager beware!”

Ranked #43 of 201 Hotels in Kathmandu
Sydney, Australia
“Dodgy manager beware!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel purely because of the good reviews I read from here. But apart from the location and the rooftop restaurant/bar I will never stay here again nor recommend it to my friends. My experience at this hotel was uncomfortable and there were times I felt unsafe. I was travelling alone and on my first night I was touted to buy a tour/trek from them while I was having dinner at the rooftop. It was the manager and he was being rather pushy about it. The following morning at breakfast I was approached again but this time by his brother. This went on for days until I finally ran out of time and caved in. I bought a short trekking trip from them and the manager ripped me off hard. Lesson learnt. But if you are a female and travelling alone, beware. There are a few of them working together. They'd even watch and comment on your activities on the internet and Facebook. As for the room I found it outdated, damp and I even had a stained linen! And the walls are thin. On the second night I didn't sleep well because of noisy neighbours coming home drunk banging doors and talking loudly. Although my review is not a nice one, some of the staff are nice and friendly.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank L0stInWanderlust

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kathmandu
Reviewed 19 June 2014

What a pleasant stay at this hotel! I booked on the reference of my friend for two nights in this hotel which is located on central tourist hub of Thamel. The room was clean and comfortable and the best part of this hotel was buffet breakfasts with over 20 items at roof top.

I especially enjoyed the whole Kathmandu valley view from the roof top with beer. I found the impressive hospitality from all staff and boss of the hotel. They give me entire feelings of home. I felt like my home during my stay. Only one thing I regret that I didn't had enough nights to enjoy in Kathmandu.

Client caring style, friendly respectful beehive and smiling staff are the main worth of this hotel. There is no any complain from pick up to drop services. I highly recommend this place to any one visiting Kathmandu. I bet, you will have comfortable, peaceful stay and memorable time.

Good luck!

Room Tip: Choose above rooms of 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank RabindraKathmandu
Reviewed 15 June 2014

the manager / tour organizer is quite pushy and will make u review the hotel in front of him before you check out!

overall the hotel is quite nice - clean, hot water showers, air conditioning (electricity is always cutting out but that's everywhere in Nepal), staff are friendly and helpful. There was construction in the lobby when i was there but that must be complete by now.

Great sunsets from the rooftop bar.

The place is a bit hard to find but once found, is in quite a convenient location - away from the hustle and bustle but right in the heart of Thamel and the shopping streets

Room Tip: the two rooms we stayed in - regular and suite - both smelled quite damp but were there just after t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Andrea M
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My son and I stayed in Hotel Nepalaya for three nights, it was really nice not only because of the really great rooftop restaurant but also because the staff was nice and very helpful! We lost our photo camera in one of the thousands taxis in Kathmandu, we got it back with their help! The rooms are clean and it is very good placed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We ended up at the Hotel Nepalaya by accident. While on my way to Kathmandu I found out that the hotel I was booked at had overbooked and I no longer had a room. We were advised to try to find accommodations at the Nepalaya. The staff at the Nepalaya were so helpful. They found rooms for us and even contacted our tour company to tell them where we were. We had a hot shower, western toilets, and comfortable beds. Breakfast at the rooftop restaurant was a perfect way to start our day. We were able to store luggage there while leaving for a trek. I wound definitely choose the Nepalaya again if/when I return to Kathmandu.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Megan L
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Very friendly staff, clean rooms, very good breakfast at rooftop restaurant, in town centre of tamel - near to Durban Square and souvenir-shops all around. We got a nice gift (white scarves) by leaving the hotel as memory! Very fair room-prices at all!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ACMilan1984, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Nepalaya, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear valuable Guest!
Thank you for your valuable time to share your experience on TripAdvisor about our property, It was our great pleasure to welcome you at Hotel Nepalaya, Your words are extremely helps us for more encourage for better service in future. Our mission is to keep our guest satisfactory we will be trying our best in all kind of services for valuable guest in future too. we are all so happy that you enjoyed to stay with us and liked our Rooftop garden Restaurant ,cleanliness , friendly staff and location as well. Once a again extremely thank you for your feed back . we fully optimistic that your memorable experience will brings us in future.
wish you a wonderful time.
Milan Adhikakri
Hotel Nepalaya &Family
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It was nice to be in Hotel Nepalaya. though Manager's communication was horrible but other staffs were so friendly and helpful. we had a nice room but in 1st floor. with some unexpected problems it was very nice in Nepal and in Hotel Nepalaya. The Chef Mr Susil and driver Prince was very much friendly and helpful. There easy behavior made our journey smooth and funny. thanks

Room Tip: Plz Request for upper floor room as sometime there is electricity problem and you would have to clim...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends