“Great place to relax before/after a trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Nepalaya

Hotel Nepalaya
Ranked #43 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Seattle, Washington
“Great place to relax before/after a trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I found Hotel Nepalaya on Booking.com and gave it a shot based on favorable reviews. I'm glad I did! The airport pickup was right on time and easy to locate. The staff is very courteous. The included breakfast is delicious, and the rooftop restaurant is a nice place to hang out, especially in the clear, cool mornings. Our room and bathroom were both clean and comfortable. The WiFi was adequate for Skype voice calls and never cut out (it's backed up with battery during typical Kathmandu power cuts). It's not the very cheapest place in Thamel but I feel like we had a good value for the money.

We ended up checking in and out of the hotel 4 times due to our flight to Lukla getting cancelled. They were more than happy to accommodate us and held on to our belongings securely in the time we were gone. They also helped us navigate our options for getting to the airport under the threat of a transportation strike.

The location is a bit out of the center of Thamel, but I actually appreciated being tucked away from the noise and stink of the center of town. It's just a quick 5 minute walk to the main tourist restaurants, "supermarket," etc.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bbrelje

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

It is central located hotel in thamel we stayed here several time it has provided us fully money valued service, good location free wifi all room good breakfast most beautiful things is rooftop garden resturant becsuse of we enjoyed best valley view with langtang himalayan region overall good hotel for domestic and international standard tourist we will stay here again

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank sandiip_sth
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel purely because of the good reviews I read from here. But apart from the location and the rooftop restaurant/bar I will never stay here again nor recommend it to my friends. My experience at this hotel was uncomfortable and there were times I felt unsafe. I was travelling alone and on my first night I was touted to buy a tour/trek from them while I was having dinner at the rooftop. It was the manager and he was being rather pushy about it. The following morning at breakfast I was approached again but this time by his brother. This went on for days until I finally ran out of time and caved in. I bought a short trekking trip from them and the manager ripped me off hard. Lesson learnt. But if you are a female and travelling alone, beware. There are a few of them working together. They'd even watch and comment on your activities on the internet and Facebook. As for the room I found it outdated, damp and I even had a stained linen! And the walls are thin. On the second night I didn't sleep well because of noisy neighbours coming home drunk banging doors and talking loudly. Although my review is not a nice one, some of the staff are nice and friendly.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank L0stInWanderlust
Kathmandu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

What a pleasant stay at this hotel! I booked on the reference of my friend for two nights in this hotel which is located on central tourist hub of Thamel. The room was clean and comfortable and the best part of this hotel was buffet breakfasts with over 20 items at roof top.

I especially enjoyed the whole Kathmandu valley view from the roof top with beer. I found the impressive hospitality from all staff and boss of the hotel. They give me entire feelings of home. I felt like my home during my stay. Only one thing I regret that I didn't had enough nights to enjoy in Kathmandu.

Client caring style, friendly respectful beehive and smiling staff are the main worth of this hotel. There is no any complain from pick up to drop services. I highly recommend this place to any one visiting Kathmandu. I bet, you will have comfortable, peaceful stay and memorable time.

Good luck!

Room Tip: Choose above rooms of 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank RabindraKathmandu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

the manager / tour organizer is quite pushy and will make u review the hotel in front of him before you check out!

overall the hotel is quite nice - clean, hot water showers, air conditioning (electricity is always cutting out but that's everywhere in Nepal), staff are friendly and helpful. There was construction in the lobby when i was there but that must be complete by now.

Great sunsets from the rooftop bar.

The place is a bit hard to find but once found, is in quite a convenient location - away from the hustle and bustle but right in the heart of Thamel and the shopping streets

Room Tip: the two rooms we stayed in - regular and suite - both smelled quite damp but were there just after t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Andrea M
Innsbruck, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My son and I stayed in Hotel Nepalaya for three nights, it was really nice not only because of the really great rooftop restaurant but also because the staff was nice and very helpful! We lost our photo camera in one of the thousands taxis in Kathmandu, we got it back with their help! The rooms are clean and it is very good placed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We ended up at the Hotel Nepalaya by accident. While on my way to Kathmandu I found out that the hotel I was booked at had overbooked and I no longer had a room. We were advised to try to find accommodations at the Nepalaya. The staff at the Nepalaya were so helpful. They found rooms for us and even contacted our tour company to tell them where we were. We had a hot shower, western toilets, and comfortable beds. Breakfast at the rooftop restaurant was a perfect way to start our day. We were able to store luggage there while leaving for a trek. I wound definitely choose the Nepalaya again if/when I return to Kathmandu.

Stayed March 2014