“Friendly and helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nepalaya

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Nepalaya
Ranked #47 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Friendly and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

-The staff are good. Very Helpful.(Kumar & Ramesh in particular)
-The rooftop restaurant is good. Nice view.

-Power cuts are annoying and stop the elevators sometimes.
-Thamel is a conjusted location. Small roads and lots of traffic.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Avinashpai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

A comfortable stay. definitely get the air con option!

The deluxe rooms aren't exactly 'UK deluxe' but still nice and very much worth the £14 a night we paid. A bargain!

The customer service was excellent. I lost my purse when I was leaving, a quick phone to them and they'd found it and kept it safe for me to collect on my return to Kathmandu.

The food was nice and the views from the rooftop restaurant were amazing! A good choice for when you first arrive.

I'd recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: If you've booked a room the mountain views just double check that's what you'll get...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Karla J
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My friend and I stayed in Hotel Nepalaya before and after our trekking experience and had a great time! The staff was courteous, and the rooms were clean and include comfortable beds, hot showers, and free wifi. The wifi was not super fast, but no wifi is super fast in Nepal - overall it was good enough to use skype. We enjoyed sitting in the rooftop restaurant, especially for the complimentary breakfast that is included in the meal. The breakfast includes eggs, toast, tea/coffee, porridge or yogurt, and fruit (all of which are safe for tourist tummies). I am gluten intolerant, and they were even willing to switch out my toast for more yogurt!

The location of this hotel is great - they are right off one of the main roads in Thamel, but in the middle of everything so you can have some peace and quiet. Guests can easily walk to shops, a supermarket, restaurants, and travel companies, or find a taxi to see other Kathmandu attractions. Hotel Nepalaya has a travel desk, although I will say it was more expensive than the other options we found in Thamel. The staff was very professional at the front desk - our flight to start our trek was cancelled multiple times, however the staff worked with us to save a room and hold our extra belongings in their store room while we were gone.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place and would certainly stay there again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank blackbeltsms
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Family friendly hotel nice room clean good room rooftop garden restaurant free wi fi delicious breakfast overall good hotel with good location we arrange adventure tour here with good price got traditional fare well departure hope to see stay at this hotel Again

1 Thank Kazu K
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I found Hotel Nepalaya on Booking.com and gave it a shot based on favorable reviews. I'm glad I did! The airport pickup was right on time and easy to locate. The staff is very courteous. The included breakfast is delicious, and the rooftop restaurant is a nice place to hang out, especially in the clear, cool mornings. Our room and bathroom were both clean and comfortable. The WiFi was adequate for Skype voice calls and never cut out (it's backed up with battery during typical Kathmandu power cuts). It's not the very cheapest place in Thamel but I feel like we had a good value for the money.

We ended up checking in and out of the hotel 4 times due to our flight to Lukla getting cancelled. They were more than happy to accommodate us and held on to our belongings securely in the time we were gone. They also helped us navigate our options for getting to the airport under the threat of a transportation strike.

The location is a bit out of the center of Thamel, but I actually appreciated being tucked away from the noise and stink of the center of town. It's just a quick 5 minute walk to the main tourist restaurants, "supermarket," etc.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank bbrelje
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

It is central located hotel in thamel we stayed here several time it has provided us fully money valued service, good location free wifi all room good breakfast most beautiful things is rooftop garden resturant becsuse of we enjoyed best valley view with langtang himalayan region overall good hotel for domestic and international standard tourist we will stay here again

2 Thank sandiip_sth
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel purely because of the good reviews I read from here. But apart from the location and the rooftop restaurant/bar I will never stay here again nor recommend it to my friends. My experience at this hotel was uncomfortable and there were times I felt unsafe. I was travelling alone and on my first night I was touted to buy a tour/trek from them while I was having dinner at the rooftop. It was the manager and he was being rather pushy about it. The following morning at breakfast I was approached again but this time by his brother. This went on for days until I finally ran out of time and caved in. I bought a short trekking trip from them and the manager ripped me off hard. Lesson learnt. But if you are a female and travelling alone, beware. There are a few of them working together. They'd even watch and comment on your activities on the internet and Facebook. As for the room I found it outdated, damp and I even had a stained linen! And the walls are thin. On the second night I didn't sleep well because of noisy neighbours coming home drunk banging doors and talking loudly. Although my review is not a nice one, some of the staff are nice and friendly.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo