“Traveller's dream”

The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here many times during my time in Nepal, I loved the staff, loved the tasty authentic cooking and it seemed to attract a lot of cool, relaxed, interesting Traveller's from all walks of life. Definitely recommend it to switched on Traveller's and backpackers.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hostel turned out to be below our expectations to be honest. We booked the room online and called after to confirm and schedule the airport pick-up. Yet, upon arrival to Kathmandu, there was nobody waiting for us at the airport.. It was quite difficult to find the place as it's away from the center and all people we asked for directions had no idea about this place. The room was big, but poorly lit, no hot water (as it was mentioned on the website), wi-fi wasn't working. The food in the restaurant was not tasty. We met some nice people though who gave valuable tips on our travels around the country. I would say, if I ever happen to be in Kathmandu again, I would definitely choose other place to stay in. Cheers!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mr_lina_lina
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at the Sparkling Turtle multiple times when I came to Kathmandu, and always had a great experience. The people there are really what makes it so awesome. The hostel workers are friendly, funny, crazy, and they are also very helpful and really care that you enjoy your time. The place attracts really cool guests from around the world too. So if you go alone, you will never feel lonely because the workers and the guests will be your new friends. The food is good, the rooms are nice and very clean, and the location is great. Swayambhu is walking distance from Thamel, so you can still get to the shopping area easily without being bothered by it at night. It is a few minutes walking distance from the Swayambhunath monkey temple, which is one of the best places to visit in Kathmandu. And there are monkeys right outside the hostel. The best thing about the Sparkling Turtle (in my opinion being a lone traveler) is it's a great place to meet people and you are guaranteed to make new friends, whether they are foreign or Nepali. I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank chelsea_keti
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Such a great location in Kathmandu. Away from the hustle and bustle of Tamel, the place was a winner in my eyes. Everyone who works there are full blown legends. Just the thought of Moti's cooking sends shivers down my spine, f@$%in loved it. A really great vibe around the place, it's as though the great staff attract the best travellers.
The place is a perfect balance between party and bull$hit (it's bull$hit that i didn't get to stay there longer!). I've been back twice in three months and its a home away from home. To be honest i restricted myself from writing this because i thought the place might loose its flare, But every good person who comes to Kathmandu deserves to stay at a place like this.
Enjoy it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fabianphucks s
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I traveled throughout Asia for 3 months and The Sparkling Turtle hostel was easily the friendliest, most comfortable and well managed place I stayed. The hostel has fantastic communal areas, inside and out, which provide great places to meet other travelers and enjoy a meal of either local or western cuisine prepared in the kitchen in the hostel.

The food is wonderful and travelers are able to organise just about any kind of adventure through the staff who work there. The rooms are comfortable and well priced and there is a definite sense of security in the hostel.

I will stay at the Sparkling Turtle every time I travel to Nepal!

Hamish Gibson-Smith

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hamishgs
The Sparkling T, Owner at The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Hamish Namaste,
It is our pleasure that we had the great opportunity to provide you our services. We feel very glad and excited that we had added one more valuable customer in our satisfied customer list. We are any time ready to provide our full effort to make our customer happy. You are heartily welcome.
next time in our Hostel.
Hostel Team !!!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed in this hostel for 4 nights just after Nepalese New Year 2013.They have a good chef and big kitchen provided local and western food.The rooms are clean and tidy.There is hot water for shower day and night. The most important is they do have a comfortable living area for travellers to hang out.AND they do provide free wifi.

Hostel is near the monkey temple in Swoyambhu..I personally like the fresh air compare with Thamel Area.The staff is really nice and helpfull. AND the price is value for money.

I definitely will go back to the same hostel if i travel to Nepal again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank abbyli
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in The Sparking Turtle for 4 nights across my visit to Nepal. I was travelling alone and I would really recommend this hostel for people in the same situation as there is a large roof terrace, kitchen and living area which means it is easy to socialise and meet other travellers.

The hostel is run by exceptionally friendly and helpful local people. They really look after you and make you feel very at home. There is local and western food available freshly cooked at the hostel which is cheap and high quality. The staff also play traditional Nepalese music on instruments which is interesting to see.

The rooms are clean and very importantly the showers deliver hot water! (something I found to be quite hard to find in Nepal!)

The owner KP organised all of my trips for me. I had 10 days in Nepal and wanted to see as much as possible and he organised everything: guides, accommodation, meals, transport etc. I was exceptionally happy with all of the trips and was amazed at the value for money. He has excellent link with the best guides and travel companies so it is well worth booking your trips through the hostel while you are staying there!

I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Kathmandu, which I hope to!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kimberley S
The Sparkling T, Owner at The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Kimberly Namaste,
welcome next time in our Hostel.
Hostel Team .