“Pretty average to be honest ”

The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel
“Pretty average to be honest ”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Didn't exactly exceed expectations. I'm not going to complain too much about something that only cost me 4 dollars a night but there isn't a whole lot about this place to really like. The place has a pretty serious mozzie problem and another annoyance was that my three bed dorm only had one room key.... Pretty silly really. Staff are mostly pretty good but often switch between distant and unresponsive/lazy and too pushy about their own agendas. The main toilet adjoining the common room was blocked for an entire day and despite staff being made aware nothing was done about it. A lot of the taps don't work properly. On the plus side the common areas are ok, especially the rooftop which provides a nice view. If management spent a little money further furnishing these areas it could be really nice. Overall don't regret staying here but probably won't be back

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Eindhoven
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Sparkling Turtle is a great hostel, very good to meet new people to do a trekking with. All the staff speak English very well, clean and open atmosphere hostel.
Location is a bit out of the city center, which is a positive aspect in my opinion, however it the famous Thamel area is within walking distance.

Recommending this hostel to everyone who wants to meet new people and like the comfort but like the beautiful area of Swayambhunath.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank wjense
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here many times during my time in Nepal, I loved the staff, loved the tasty authentic cooking and it seemed to attract a lot of cool, relaxed, interesting Traveller's from all walks of life. Definitely recommend it to switched on Traveller's and backpackers.

• Stayed April 2014
New Delhi
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hostel turned out to be below our expectations to be honest. We booked the room online and called after to confirm and schedule the airport pick-up. Yet, upon arrival to Kathmandu, there was nobody waiting for us at the airport.. It was quite difficult to find the place as it's away from the center and all people we asked for directions had no idea about this place. The room was big, but poorly lit, no hot water (as it was mentioned on the website), wi-fi wasn't working. The food in the restaurant was not tasty. We met some nice people though who gave valuable tips on our travels around the country. I would say, if I ever happen to be in Kathmandu again, I would definitely choose other place to stay in. Cheers!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mr_lina_lina
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at the Sparkling Turtle multiple times when I came to Kathmandu, and always had a great experience. The people there are really what makes it so awesome. The hostel workers are friendly, funny, crazy, and they are also very helpful and really care that you enjoy your time. The place attracts really cool guests from around the world too. So if you go alone, you will never feel lonely because the workers and the guests will be your new friends. The food is good, the rooms are nice and very clean, and the location is great. Swayambhu is walking distance from Thamel, so you can still get to the shopping area easily without being bothered by it at night. It is a few minutes walking distance from the Swayambhunath monkey temple, which is one of the best places to visit in Kathmandu. And there are monkeys right outside the hostel. The best thing about the Sparkling Turtle (in my opinion being a lone traveler) is it's a great place to meet people and you are guaranteed to make new friends, whether they are foreign or Nepali. I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chelsea_keti
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Such a great location in Kathmandu. Away from the hustle and bustle of Tamel, the place was a winner in my eyes. Everyone who works there are full blown legends. Just the thought of Moti's cooking sends shivers down my spine, f@$%in loved it. A really great vibe around the place, it's as though the great staff attract the best travellers.
The place is a perfect balance between party and bull$hit (it's bull$hit that i didn't get to stay there longer!). I've been back twice in three months and its a home away from home. To be honest i restricted myself from writing this because i thought the place might loose its flare, But every good person who comes to Kathmandu deserves to stay at a place like this.
Enjoy it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fabianphucks s
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I traveled throughout Asia for 3 months and The Sparkling Turtle hostel was easily the friendliest, most comfortable and well managed place I stayed. The hostel has fantastic communal areas, inside and out, which provide great places to meet other travelers and enjoy a meal of either local or western cuisine prepared in the kitchen in the hostel.

The food is wonderful and travelers are able to organise just about any kind of adventure through the staff who work there. The rooms are comfortable and well priced and there is a definite sense of security in the hostel.

I will stay at the Sparkling Turtle every time I travel to Nepal!

Hamish Gibson-Smith

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hamishgs
The Sparkling T, Owner at The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Hamish Namaste,
It is our pleasure that we had the great opportunity to provide you our services. We feel very glad and excited that we had added one more valuable customer in our satisfied customer list. We are any time ready to provide our full effort to make our customer happy. You are heartily welcome.
next time in our Hostel.