“Don't set your expectations high”
Review of Hotel Annapurna

Hotel Annapurna
Ranked #60 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Don't set your expectations high”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel is probably one of the most expensive hotels in Nepal. We have decided to stay here as Hyatt was fully booked. We were given a standard room first. It was like a 2 star hotel room. They were helpful at the reception though and upgraded our room to a deluxe room. They tried to charge extra $30 the next morning. That was another argument that I needed to make. They waived the charge at the end. They wanted to charge extra $15 (per day) for the internet even though it was stated as free on the website. I had to argue with them once again to get it free. It was a challenge to get regular 4-5 star facilities at this hotel. There are some positive sides to the hotel though. Employees at the reception were helpful. I believe they are used to similar guest reactions. Breakfast was also good. Location of the hotel is excellent. I believe they need to lower room prices as anyone would expect better quality for the amount paid.

Room Tip: I can't compare this hotel to others as it is my first time in Kathmandu but if you decide to st...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Namaste!!!
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.
We are sorry to read about your recent experience with us. I have personally reviewed your feedback with my team, please allow us to clarify that your reservation was done through a travel agent in our Heritage Rooms - so we are not sure how much the agent must have charged you, and there is a difference of rates in our Heritage & Deluxe Rooms and am glad that you decided to take our Deluxe Rooms. Our Wi-Fi is free under our corporate packages but for other packages we do charge a very minimum charge for the internet, let me also inform you that our Heritage Rooms will be undergoing extensive development which is scheduled to happen very soon.
I m glad that you have noted our positive sides as well let me reassure you that our team is dedicated to upholding and delivering the premium service expected of our hotel. We will continue to work on improving our service and your valuable feedback helps us in this respect.

Should you visit Kathmandu again in the future, please let me know sampurna.pande@annapurna.com.np ,so that I can personally look after your reservation.

Thank you again for your review.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a nice place located in the most happening part of Kathmandu - Durbar Marg. The staff is very friendly and look after the guests well. I stay here every time I visit Kathmandu and love this place. Room service is also very quick. Food is great. Breakfast is at the coffee shop and is excellent. Wi-Fi works great, speed is good and connectivity is not an issue. Overall a nice comfortable place to stay in Kathmandu.

1 Thank Pulkit K
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Greetings from Annapurna!!!!

Thank you for your appreciation of our hotel and services of our staff. We are very conveniently located right in the heart of Kathmandu and very near to major points of interest in the city.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you again and again.

Warm regards,
Sydney
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel on 3 occasions recently. Each time the staff looked after us well and all our meals were taken at one of the hotel's restaurants.
On each stay our room got better, with our final checkin giving us a lovely suite overlooking the grassed area and pool.
We have nothing but praise for the staff, service and food we experienced while staying there, but would advise anyone to avoid the gift shop opposite reception at all costs.
We purchased a number of items, all of which we found out later were so much cheaper elsewhere. e.g. T-shirts that we paid US$10 for, we found exactly the same product for US$2.50 elsewhere. We were also charged $100 more than the quoted price on a necklace, which wasn't discovered until we returned home and checked our credit card statement. Add to this the exchange rate we were given, which was very poor. Unfortunately we were in a bit of a rush as our driver arrived early and we needed to leave for our next destination. With the charged amount in rupees, we were unaware that we had been overcharged.
We realise we should have been more diligent at the time, but everything else about the hotel was good and we didn't expect to get ripped off.
We did email the hotel about what happened but received no reply.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Namaste!!!
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the overall service and the ambiance of our hotel,and were happy with the rooms and the food served at the restaurants.
We continually strive to provide the highest standards of service. Safety and security of our guest is our main concern, allow me to inform you that we have not yet received any of your e-mails till date regarding the gift shop, if you could mark a copy of the e-mail to me sampurna.pande@annapurna.com.np - I will personally look into it.

Mumbai
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was my third visit to Annapurna to attend a business meeting held in the hotel. The hotel offers comfortable rooms, smiling service and two excellent restaurants as well as a coffee shop. I stayed in 2057- which was quiet, the wi fi worked, amenities were very good and the mattress excellent- very comfortable sleep. This is a deluxe room- and worth it at about 110 USD. I do not recommend the standard rooms on the ground floor near the lobby. what really stood out were the two restaurants- we had business dinners and I especially liked the Chinese restaurant which also had healthy steamed offerings. Breakfast every morning at the coffee shop was unremarkable- the Indian fare on offer is unrefined and avoidable. But with fruit and an omelette - no major complaints. The gym is basically a small room crammed with machines- overlooking the pool. However the treadmill works, there are basic weights and a couple of other machines on offer. Located a 7 minute walk from Thamel on Durbar marg- it is easy to nip into Thamel for different kinds of food or shopping. I would not stay here on holiday as the hotel lacks old world charm or modern sophistication - but will certainly be back for business.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor. It is worth paying the supplement for a deluxe room over a standard...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn that you were satisfied with the food and services at our Ghar e’ Kabab (Indian) & Arniko Room (Chinese) and have also noted your comments of our Indian breakfast - we have choice of one South Indian and one North Indian Dish which is being changed on regular basis, and on guest request we do serve from our a la carte menu also. We are glad that your stay in our Deluxe Room was comfortable and you slept well; let me also inform you that our Heritage Rooms and the Fitness Centre will be undergoing extensive development which is scheduled to happen very soon.
I am happy to note that you enjoyed your overall experience at our Hotel Annapurna. Do give us an opportunity to be of your service again in future. Thank you once again.
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Deerwalk's executives have been staying at Hotel de l'Annapurna whenever they visit Kathmandu and all of them have commended the great service provided by the hotel. Rudra Pandey, Executive Chairman of Deerwalk, has this to say on the experience: "I am thankful to the entire crew of Hotel de l'Annapurna for the excellent hospitality that they have been extending toward me and my colleagues."

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Greetings from Annapurna!!!
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your guest at our hotel. Would also like to thank Mr.Pandey for his encouraging comments about our service - your comments has encouraged the whole team to strive for better.
Our entire team would like to thank you for your comments. It is our pleasure to have your guests stay with us, and I truly hope to have this privilege always.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I went to Kathmandu on work. A lot of my colleagues who went to Kathmandu stayed in Annapurna and when it was time for me to go there, they recommended that I choose the same hotel. I booked the hotel online. The booking is hassle free with correct charges mentioned. They sent us all the responses over email promptly and our booking was done in no time.

I landed in Kathmandu at about 10 in the night. It was freezing cold in the month of December and the international airport was deserted. Annapurna sent their cab for pickup on time as they promised. I didn't have to wait for even a minute and I was on my way to the hotel. The hotel is located on Durbar Marg (King's way) which is a very nice place to hang in Kathmandu. It very nicely decorated and the ambiance was nice and warm. The front desk was extremely courteous and welcoming. I was given my room and all the things including my luggage was taken care of. I enter my room and I find a note on my table welcoming me to stay with them, nice flowers in vase, fruits and cookies laid on the table. Very nice touch!

Complimentary Breakfast: The breakfast was complimentary. The breakfast was buffet type and there were variety of options to choose from. Starting from South Indian to American, everything was available. The service was prompt and the staff was very well trained.

Wednesday pool side party: This was a very unique thing done by Annapurna team. Every Wednesday, they organize a pool side party and invite all the guests. There is a theme for the snacks and alcohol is being served. The entire management of Annapurna gets together and interacts with every guest to talk to them in general and see if they can be served better. It is a great event and guests have a great time. I usually had lot of work and hence missed most of their events but I did make it to two of them and they were amazing!

Housekeeping: I would specially like to mention about their housekeeping staff. Extremely friendly and adorable ladies! They almost cried the day I checked out after staying there for a month!

Pricing: The standard rooms are charged at 100USD/night. A little too high if you plan to stay for long but the service is at par with the rates asked.

All in all, a great experience because of all the pampering and special attention! :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amrita_Banerjee
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, 13 February 2014

Greetings from Annapurna!

Thank you very much for your lovely review, we appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.
Here at Hotel Annapurna, we try to make sure that all our guests feel right at home from the moment they enter our premises, to the time they leave. We continually strive to provide the highest standards of service but it means a great deal to learn from you that we have succeeded in some measure to do this.
On behalf of all of us at the Annapurna, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here during two of my trips to Kathmandu city during last December. This hotel is well situated in the heart of Durbar Margh with walking distances to chain restaurants and Thamel itself! I stayed in the Deluxe room and although the rooms were big enough, it didn't project the feel of a deluxe room a 5 star hotel would project. The amenities were adequate and the layout was ok but nothing much. The club rooms are way better, expensive it may be but it is definitely worth trying out! The staff in the club lounge were excellent.
I would definitely recommend the Juneli bar in the evening. Apart from selling the single malt imported whiskeys the whole feel to the bar is great - welcoming and at the same time gives you the posh feeling that you are somewhere other than Nepal!
One minor complain I would also point out - Wifi connection! In today's world and the need for internet plus looking at the hotels' stature, they still dish out Wifi coupons. Common'! This needs serious looking into.
Apart from that quiet, luxurious and a fruitful experience at Hotel Annapurna!
I would definitely come back but take a room in the Club lounge!

Room Tip: Club rooms!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Namaste!!!
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are delighted to know that you were happy with the services of our Club Floor and have also recommended our Juneli Bar and its ambience.
We shall definitely look into your feedback of our Deluxe Rooms and work on the amenities and décor and we do respect your view pertaining to Wi-Fi Coupons and have already started to look for an alternate way in providing Wi-Fi coupons so that we are better able to serve the needs of our guests.
We continually strive to provide the highest standards of service, it means a great deal to learn we have succeeded in some measure to do this. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and I truly hope we may have this privilege again.