“Lovely retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed at the Kathmandu Hyatt at the end of a hectic tour of India and Nepal -- what a wonderful experience. The rooms were large, attractive and comfortable. The bathroom was enormous and comfy as well. The staff was wonderful -- attentive and efficient.
The hotel backs up to the Boudhanath Stupa, which makes for a lovely walk when you have some free time. We spent most days on excursions here and there, so the location was ideal -- far enough from the hubub of the central tourist area to let you relax, but near enough to visit on a whim. The free hotel shuttle will drop you off at the big tourist market, and you're on your way.
The breakfast buffet was great -- you can sample a variety of wonderful Indian and Nepali dishes, but a full American/European menu is available as well.
We were told this is the nicest hotel in Katmandu, and I believe it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hyatt Regency K, Director of Marketing at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out and posting your comment on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that the hotel and its services were up to your expectations. With our location being within walking distance to Boudhanath Stupa, we do offer our hotel as being a retreat to guests visiting this area while it being nestled on 36 acres of landscaped gardens, it is truly an oasis to return to with the hustle and bustle that Kathmandu is.

Thank you once again. We look forward to your next visit.
Best regards,

Suman Shrestha
Director of Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brigg, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We visited the hotel for a short break and were delighted with the reception, quality and cleanliness of the hotel. We had arranged to be picked up at the airport on arrival and were met on time and quickly transported to the hotel where we were checked in without fuss.
A great place to stay. The only negative is the selection of food in the main dining room, this was a little limited.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It gives me immense pleasure to note that the hotel and its services met your expectations.

We have noted your comment on the selection of food and will certainly look into our selection options and strive to continually improve on the services we offer to our guests. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to Kathmandu and our hotel soon.

Best regards,

Suman Shrestha
Director of Marketing
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

From the picture you can tell that this is an amazing place to stay at. The staff is amazingly courteous (they provided us a free room upgrade since our room wasn't ready). The hotel is amazing, the happy hour the hotel throws for guests is great and the breakfast was always a welcomed way to start the morning. Check-in and check-out was a smooth process. The hotel is not far off from the airport and main tourist attractions. They even provided us comfortable and safe transportation to our bungee site which was an added bonus since we didn't know the language and how to get a full-day's transport.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank acabnyus
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I've been to kathmandu few times. This is a really nice hotel with an amazing garden. But its a bit far from thamil which is the busiest area there. Its alright the lobby is amazing and the rooms are tired but its alright. The only disadvantage is we had to get a taxi to go everywhere.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Le Vaud, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

...but nothing like any other 5 star Hyatt I have visited! Staff are charming and helpful and want to be obliging. My room was spacious and the bed very comfortable with a new mattress (but furniture pretty shabby). The first "non-smoking" room I was offered literally stank of cigarettes but this was quickly rectified by a room change. This time I was given a wheelchair friendly room (bathroom adapted to accommodate this) which I didn't need but it was fresh smelling. Unfortunately the shower was curtained rather than glass screened (for aforesaid wheelchair use if required) but the curtain did not reach the floor so the entire floor became soaked after every shower. Lots of dust and cobwebs around at high level and much of the building would benefit from a bit of a facelift! There is a need for a chef with real international hotel/catering experience if this is what visitors require as the food was a poor imitation of western cuisine, although naturally local-style foods were better cooked. Not many shops or food outlets to explore in the immediate vicinity of the hotel but the grounds and pool area and a pleasant (although rather old and tired looking) spa compensated, plus the Boudhanath Stupa is just an easy walk away . Poor lighting meant an excursion on foot at night beyond the hotel grounds could be a bit of an unnerving experience (stray dogs etc.); so taxis necessary and wow that was an experience!

Room Tip: Higher floor towards Boudhanath Stupa.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hawalli, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel is on huge grounds with tennis and large swimming complex. The breakfast had good service with quality bacon and eggs. The pork sausage looked a little raw, but they knew how to fry an over easy egg. The room was ok, need flat screen tvs and a sink that can drain more quickly. I liked the lobby and sitting among the stone monuments. I had fish and chips three times from the restaurant overlooking pool, more fish than meets the eye. I did get Delhi belly but i don't think it was from the hotel. I did not confuse the casino from the ones in Vegas. Machines old and the card tables dated, not much of a draw for people there. I walked over to the stupa using the back gate, a short walk. Convenient, but the scooters zoom by you with little regard for safety, there are no scooters in the stupa circle which is a blessing. I do not think there is a better hotel in Katmandu that the Hyatt. Went to Baktapur and the Himalayas by travel van, a must.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the stupa, also faces the mts.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cness67
Oslo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a five star hotell, but as far as the 5 stars go - it is poor 5 star.

I had just one night here, and tried some food and hung out by the pool to do some work. The place is great, and the pool looks again great. I have seen that some people mention that the rooms are a bit run down / shabby -. well as for my room I thought it was in pretty good shape and had a very nice bed.

A few things that brings it down to poor, keeping in mind that the are priced as a five star.

When arriving, I was really looking foreward to do something of the a la carte menu - but I felt pushed into dooing the buffe. When I said that I would like to at least look at the menu before deciding, I was told to go and have a look at the buffe first. Well, I picked up on the hidden message that they probably didnt have enough manpower to keep the a la carte up n running when the buffe was on... so I did the buffe - and is was good - average - nothing more.

I was kept beeing asked for buying more beer or closing my tab when still my bottle was half full. That was kinda funny :)

But the best thing of all, was when I did checkout. I came down early - real early - and said I wanted to check out, i needed to print some tickets in the business center and then I needed a taxi to the airport. I could see straight away that they where WAY understaffed to keep all functions of a fivestar up n runnin.

While the guy worked on my bill, I asked if I could do the print while he finished. He said yes - and I went to the business center. I saw him leave the desk as soon as I left... The business center had print capabilities they told me - so after trying to find someone that could log me on for 5 minutes I did the print.

Got back to the front desk, and had to start the billing process all over again because the first guy lied to me and had left.. I asked them where the print ended up ? And after sometime I was told that I had to email the file because they did not have a printer in business center anyways.

Back in business center (I had at this time managed to do checkout), I was told to sit and wait (!!), I waited and waited... after some time I asked at front desk and they told me "that you will find someone in there" (meaning the back office I guessed).. So I wandered about, and finaly just walked into a office causing some attention from the guy working there. He was able to print the email I had sent, and I just grabbed the print of some office printer and left. (He wanted me to pay for the print, I laughed)

The lady that told me to "sit and wait" was never seen again... :)

They seem a bit stressed, and tell you one thing and do another. They seem to be somewhat detached from reality. (the two-three people runnin the pool bar was good guys, they should have copies of them runnin the rest of the place too )

But, it is a five star - so way better that a lot of other hotells in Kathmandu. But compared to other 5 star, its poor.

Room Tip: Dont stay here, its a silly place.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends