“Heavenly”

Ranked #33 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Calgary, Canada
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the 20th and 21st of April in room 406. We had just come back from trekking, and falling ill to altitude sickness, and were looking to completely unwind and relax. From the moment we walked in and were greeted warmly with a welcome drink, to seeing our beautiful room, every single thing was spot on.

The grounds are gorgeous, happy hour in the Regency Room was delicious, the menus were so varied and would suit anyone's taste and the breakfast buffet was probably the best I have ever had anywhere...seriously. It was so good, with food represented from all continents. The service was so terrific and I felt we wanted for nothing during our stay.

I stay at the Hyatt in Canada from time to time for business and I feel there is a slight sterile feeling to everything, even though it is consistently terrific. Not so with the Hyatt Kathmandu. I felt like not only was everything terrific, I felt such warmth and kindness from every single staff member I encountered that I felt like I was being welcomed to someone's home. What a truly great experience!

I would come back to Nepal just to stay another couple of nights here!

My husband and I are still talking about our stay and all the delicious food we ate. Now that is what I can call a very memorable, heavenly experience.

• Stayed April 2014
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comment and time you have taken to write. Indeed the hotel has its own charm and beauty and is a perfect place to unwind and relax after a tiring trek . The Regency Club with its additional services is a choice many of our guests enjoy while overlooking the Boudhanath Stupa. I am very happy to read that you had a great experience, enjoyed the food and found our service exemplary.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Patrick Iserlohe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great Surprise
My stay started with some e-mails to the hotel regarding the food allergy. Quick replies assuring the special attention and no issues at all.
Room – Spacious, comfortable bed, nice desk and wonderful view to Boudha Stupa. Fantastic Bathroom with nice amenities and shower separated from the tub.
Internet – Very fast comparing to others in Nepal. Free for Diamond Members.
Breakfast – Had the chance to have it at Club Lounge and at the main restaurant. Club Lounge, limited but with better quality items and very quiet. Free for Diamond Members.
Lobby – You really feel you are in Nepal. Spacious and with lots of nice sculptures. At night there are always some locals performing nice local instruments.
Location – US$ 7 official taxi ride from airport. No need to reserve, just pay at the exit from the airport inside the terminal. The hotel it’s near by Boudha Stupa and a bit far from Thamel and other landmarks. But don’t worry, taxis in Nepal are really cheap. The hotel offers a Executive Car for US$ 10 an hour with driver.
Business Centre – Very prestative and caring team. Not expensive.
Pool – Great but not heated. Plenty of towels and sunbeds available.
Food – Lot’s of choice to eat. On my case, special thanks for the attention to my Gluten allergy. The team even prepared special hours d’oeuvres items Gluten Free. Fantastic!
Hotel Staff – All the people in Nepal are warm. The whole team at the Hotel was very prestative and care. Special thanks to Mrs. Mamata at the Club Lounge which did everything to make the stay even better.
Special thanks also to Mr. Suman Shrestha for the attention in advance.
Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank EduardoStruve
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them , hence it is gratifying to know that your culinary requirement were well taken care of. As mentioned by you, the Regency Club with its additional services is a choice many of our guests enjoy while overlooking the Boudhanath Stupa. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel’s efficient services. Your appreciation of our service is very motivating for the team and I will certainly pass on your kind compliment to Ms. Mamata & Mr. Suman.

Thank you once again indeed and we very much look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Bamako, Mali
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Beautiful campus. Short running walking trails around the campus are worth exploring if you are there for business and don’t get a chance to really get out of the hotel. If you are an early riser, go to the balcony at the lobby level; great view of sunrise over the mountains! The breakfast buffet in the Café restaurant is excellent. Having had buffet lunch in the Rox Restaurant twice, I can attest that lunch buffet at the Café had much better salad bar. We had catered lunch the first day for our meeting and the momo station was great! I would recommend not staying in any wing that has windows towards the conference area garden. One night there was a private party out there and it didn’t let me sleep well. Otherwise, this is a high quality five star hotel. The gym is small for the size of the hotel an the number of guests and outside paying members using the facilities. They should consider expanding the cardio machines and weights to meet the demand. However the separate Jacuzzi, steam and sauna facilities are amazing. I only tried the ladies’ side, and they did not disappoint. Word of caution, it is a no clothes/no bathing suit facility, ladies only. Room service selection is excellent. The small/plates appetizer section has considerable portions. I would recommend that they lower the prices of this section. As I often just wanted to combine two of dinner as I preferred these to the dinner selection and then it came out to be more than a dinner plate. The staff was usually friendly and helpful. The first day I had an uncomfortable incident where I needed to find the ballrooms for my meeting and the staff in the Café restaurant led me to believe I could reach from the gym/spa… and that was not the case. This led me to some unnecessary walking around and unpleasant anxiety of getting late to my meeting. All staff should be able to give the guests accurate directions. The pool is large. However it was still cool when I went and the pool is not heated. I suggested they heat the pool and received some unconvincing response that the pool is too large to be heated. I think that a five star resort of this caliber should be able to heat their pool.

Room Tip: Don't be in wing with windows facing garden of the ballrooms where events take place at night
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and the time you have taken for the same! It is indeed a pleasure to read your positive comment about the food and the services offered. We have taken note regarding your suggestion about the gymnasium and shall try our best to incorporate your suggestions as far as possible. Indeed all associates shall be able to give clear directions and I shall ensure we retrain the same to ensure this service shortfall does not repeat itself, however, on a positive note I am glad that you experienced our associates to be friendly and helpful.

Thank you once again for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed in total of about 7 days in March 2014. It is a Hyatt so it is supposed to be good. It is not those cheap hotels you find in Thamel and other areas of KTM or anywhere else in Nepal. This is in one of the best location for me. That is because it is close to Boudha where there are restaurants serving delicious Tibetan foods There is a big shopping center opposite the main gate. The Chowmein I ordered wasn't good. It was more of a boiled noodles. I don't know why they serve fish with VEG Thali. Thali is a traditional Nepalese meal.
Pros:The lounge is great. The room is nice. The Buffet breakfast is very good. The service is Top class.

Cons: The TV is disappointing with poor image quality. Picture freezes and stops frequently. The wifi is bit slow at about 1mbps download speed. But it is good enough for checking emails. When you first log in , it always warns you of potential security risk.

Would have given 5 stars if the picture quality of the TV wasn't bad and Wifi wasn't slow.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hyatt Regency K, Director of Marketing at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. As mentioned by you , the hotel is very conveniently located – just 4 km from the airport, overlooking and in walking distance from Boudhanath Stupa area with restaurants and shopping.
Please do accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your culinary expectation and for the inconvenience caused to you due to poor TV reception and the WiFi connectivity , we shall definitely take them as feedback for us to improve on and work towards them.

On a more positive note, we do appreciate your compliment on our hotel and its facilities being “top class”. Thank you for your positive inputs.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

At first on the map, it looks like it is quite out of the city centre, but it actually is in a very convenient location - near to many spots including airport. Decor is a little tired and dated, but otherwise, charming services and fantastic view (towards the Boudnath Stupa on one side).

Room Tip: Stupa view side
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liren T
Hyatt Regency K, Director of Marketing at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor and as mentioned the hotel is very conveniently located – just 4 km from the airport, overlooking and in walking distance from Boudhanath Stupa a UNESCO World Heritage Site and fairly placed when travelling to other city tours within Kathmandu Valley.

Furthermore your inputs on the hotel upkeep is noted and it is our effort to portray a hotel with all the modern amenities our guests would look for but within the décor and design of incorporating traditional design like our hotel façade done in traditional Newari architecture, a temple court in the middle of the lobby with nine Chaityas which are actual replicas of from the 13th to 18th century and found in Kathmandu.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

excellent hotel ambiance , spacious, lot of leisure activity,well maintained; positive aura; family will love it. Staff very helpful but reception desk need to be more efficient and diligent. Hotel is bit out of main town so less of action but in house lounge make it up. excellent spread of food with various option of cuisine.

Room Tip: pool facing rooms are better
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vicky2208uk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback post your stay with us. The hotel definitely has a very nice ambiance with it beautiful landscaped gardens spread over 36 acres, jogging track, well equip gym and Spa area and a large 25 meter free form swimming pool with a children wading pool and an outdoor Jacuzzi. As mentioned the Regency Club Lounge is a great option for our guests who are out exploring the city and wants to come back to some pampering with delicious offering from 5:30 to 7:30 pm on the 6th floor of the hotel and overlooking Boudhanth Stupa, a UNCESO World Heritage Site.

Furthermore we have noted your comment regarding efficient service requirement at our front desk, we shall definitely take this as constructive feedback for us to work on to deliver the service and quality we as a hotel strive to achieve.

Thank you once again for taking your time in writing the feedback and we do look forward to your future visits.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed for 1 night in the Hyatt after a few nights in the countryside. The traditional decoration of the lobby is very appealing and it's away from the hustle and bustle of the road along a long path. This gave it a safe, secure feel with guards minding the property.
The basic king bed room was spacious and had everything you would expect. The tv stopped working the next morning just before check out but they promptly sent an engineer, by then we were out of the room in any case. The breakfast buffet has a good selection of Western and local food and done well.
The location is close to the airport but a little far from the lively areas of Thamel and Durbar Square but it is well situated for other city sights. The red brick building like many in Nepal (my favourite sytle) is very impressive and the lawns/gardens are very well kept.
All in all a good stop, would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback about the hotel’s traditional architecture. The hotel is definitely a “hide away” from the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu city. We are glad that you found hotel facilities and offerings enjoyable and safe. Although as you have pointed out the hotel is not located in the center of Kathmandu, but conveniently close by with us offering our guests complimentary shuttle service to major points of interest in town like Thamel and Durbarmarg.

Once again we are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay well enough that you would recommend us. That by far is truly the biggest compliment we can receive. We thank you for that and look forward to your return visit.