“What a waste of potential”

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu
Ranked #30 of 201 Hotels in Kathmandu
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“What a waste of potential”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel has probably the best location, extensive grounds, wonderfully local architecture but lets everything go for a waste.

it probably is, like most other hotels in Nepal, suffering from an over active and politically motivated staff union but the service is appalling

not that the lumpy bed makes anything better or the breakfast...

the breakfast area did not only have an AC that didn't work but frequently had dishes or condiments empty which then took forever to refill.

if i were a Hyatt inspector i would come here and watch my brand die.

Room Tip: i wouldnt know...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback ! Your compliment about the hotel and it’s local architecture is very appreciating. Indeed we have our fair share of workforce interruption, which makes it at times impossible to deliver what you can rightly expect. I apologize for this indeed and I am very sorry.

I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Hyatt Regency Kathmandu in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality we are known for.

Patrick Iserlohe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was very disappointed .i stayed in the hotel in early June for attending a wedding .
I have stayed in many Hyatt properties and I am fully aware of what is Hyatt standard .my wife first response as soon she entered the room ,is this Hyatt hotel?
Room was musty ,the side of the bed was torn, there was dampness in the room.
We opened the window ,the entire garden was full of feathers of pigeon.
In the room Polish is run down.there is no international plug for charging. There is no charging facility next to the writing table or bed.the one in toilet is broken.
In my opinion there is a complete breakdown of sop and accountability of the team running the hotel . In future I will probably not take the next stay at any Hyatt hotel for granted ,looking at the poor upkeep of the current property,
I was supposed to stay for two nights ,however I left the hotel ,and stayed with a friend of mine.
Breakfast was good

Room Tip: Unless they improve avoidable property
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Kindly accept my personal apology for your experience, indeed the hotel is now fourteen years old and needs consistent maintenance to upkeep the same until the renovation eventuates. However, there is no need that the bed is torn or a plug not functioning. If you would be willing to provide the room number you were staying in so we can provide extra training for the associate that serviced your room during your stay, please do so by e-mailing at patrick.iserlohe@hyatt.com and I shall ensure a situation such as you experienced does not happen again in the future.

Your stay was not a flawless experience we aim to provide to each and every one of our guests, and for this I truly apologize. On a positive note, I am glad that you liked the breakfast. I sincerely hope to welcome you again in the not too distant future to ensure you have great experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was there in this hotel last year and had a really bad experience in the room of the hotel with a staff member, staff was ill-mannered did not know how to talk to their guest. rest this hotel was perfect.

Room Tip: they should teach there staff member how to behave with the member of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rahul T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback ! I am indeed surprised to read that one of our associates interacted with you at the hotel was not warm nor friendly. We train intensively on the interactions and experiences we create for our guests, so I am concerned and shall certainly try to investigate the same. Could you kindly let me know at (patrick.iserlohe@hyatt.com) when you stayed with us last year, as well where you encountered the associate. It is indeed sad that one associate can create a negative experience such as yours and should not occur at any cost. On a positive note, I am delighted to know that you found the hotel otherwise to be perfect and look forward to making your future visits memorable.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hyatt is a miracle for international travellers and locals are visiting more and more...the spacious entrance is a museum, frequently at night there is a very meditative life music. The buffet both lunch and dinner are a choice of the best italian and indian, nepalese and international coocking. Not necessary to make a reservation the dining hall is huge. And keep some space for the most beautiful trifles and desserts.
Daytime you may use the pool, also very spacious. There is a spa with steam bath and fitness machines. Family and people hotel worth visiting and a national pride!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback! It is wonderful to know that you find our hotel a miracle. It is always rewarding to know that our guests enjoyed their stay. Thank you also for highlighting the lobby music and the diverse cuisines served. I appreciate your positive comments about the pools, which is one of the largest in Kathmandu. It was a great pleasure to have served you and I hope that we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in their club rooms 607 & 605. Check in was a bit of a hassle. I had booked club king rooms with stupa view, but had to settle with room 605 which was not a king bed. I would recommend breakfast at the lobby restaurant for more variety than continental breakfast at regency club lounge. I enjoyed the appetizers & drinks at regency club lounge. The pool, spa and gym were very nice too. Although gym had only up to 25kg dumbbell I believe. For massages we went just outside Hyatt(back-gate) which had reasonable prices. All in all nice stay & I would stay here again..!

• Stayed June 2014
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! Kindly accept my personal apology that we did not honor our bed type guarantee. On a positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed the appetizers and the drinks at the Regency Club Lounge. Your appreciation about the spa, pool and the gym is very encouraging.

I am happy that overall you were satisfied with your experience at our hotel and it is great to read you would return to our property. I hope I can personally greet you on your next visit in the not too distant future.

Northern California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Beautiful, extensive landscaped grounds. Rooms and hallways were slightly dated, but well in character with the location. Excellent friendly staff. Extensive breakfast buffet.

Centrally located - reach stupa by exiting out back gate behind pool and then turning left. Excellent spa just behind gate as well.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are isolated from the noise of the city because of the size of the property
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience through TripAdvisor. It is very kind of you to highlight the hotel’s location and particular excellent staff.

We do hope to welcome you back to Nepal and our hotel in the not too distant future.

KOLKATAINDIA
Reviewed 12 June 2014

the rooms need a new look and serious refurbishment. i think they have not changed in a decade. good hotel excellent staff make the stay comfortable. . good location excellent landscaping . Good swimming pool . NO Wi FI a great disadvantage to a traveller today.

Room Tip: pool side view was good facing the stupa .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! Your appreciation about the hotel, associates and the swimming pool is indeed very encouraging. Indeed we are looking forward finalizing a renovation in the not too distant future.

Kindly note we do offer complimentary wireless internet facilities for our Regency Club and Suite guests. Also, we have free internet on a workstation in the business center for our guests to check their emails and our Rox Bar is a free wifi zone, while all other areas of hotel have wireless access at a charge.

I am very happy to know you enjoyed your stay, that by far is truly the biggest compliment we can receive. I thank you personally and on behalf of the team and look forward to your return visit.