“Well located, comfortable, shabbily cosy...but watch your valuables!!”
Review of Hotel Vaishali

Hotel Vaishali
Ranked #118 of 209 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We had a nice big room with a large, comfortable bed and a good-sized bathroom with a bath tub which felt luxurious to soak in after weeks on the trekking trail. We did not mind that the room was shabby by international three star standards. They serve a decent breakfast although it is more fun to eat at one of the nearby restaurants, as this hotel is well-located in the popular Thamel district.
Our experience of this hotel was marred when my wallet was rifled through while my wife was sleeping. When I returned I found it empty by the door, fortunately with my passport inside. The management point-blank refused to believe that any Nepalese person could be capable of such dishonesty. The lesson: never, ever leave valuables lying around, even when you are in the room!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 September 2009

We have just returned from Nepal and spent our first 3 nights at the Vaishali. The location was great, right in the centre of Thamel, the staff were lovely, the rooms were adequate, but the main reason that I booked this particular hotel was the promise of a swimming pool.! Unfortunately, the pool was not in action, was a filthy green colour and the surroundings were like a building site. Apparently it has not been in use for months and there do not seen to be any plans to renovate it in the near future. It was a shame as last week was very hot, and we could have done with relaxing around a pool after all our adventures and shopping!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Impressive looking hotel from the street & in the entry foyer. Rooms a bit dated though & the bathrooms could use a re-vamp. The rooms were large but the beds quite hard (nothing out of the ordinary in Nepal though!) Be sure to have a shower when the power is on or within 5 mins of it going out or its cold showers unfortunately.
The staff were really friendly & there was one young lady at reception who was great. She spoke English very well & was able to understand our questions more so than the others.
Breakfast was ok, not great but enough choice to get at least somethings that you like. The freshly made omlettes were my pick. Room service was good although expensive in terms of the shops close by in the street.
Location is fantastic if you want to be in the heart of Thamel. The Rum Doodle resturaunt is next door & there is endless shops of all kinds to look around in.
Little secret to the hotel, go up all the stairs & onto the roof for a 360 degree panorama of Kathmandu.
In terms of Western hotels it would probably make 3 stars, but in Nepalese culture its regarded as a well-to-do hotel. Whenever we wetre asked where we were staying & we said Vaishali, the locals would be most impressed. "Very expensive nice hotel" was the common feedback from the Nepalese.
Don't go expecting full Western 4 star hotel, but if you take it for what it is, especially considering the state of most housing in Kathmandu, it a nice hotel. Was like a 5 star hotel to us when we returned from our 14 day trek though!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graeme_Mitch
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We stayed at Hotel Vaishali for 5 nights after a trekking trip in the Everest Region. This hotel is great for a short stay (5 nights was a bit long, but our trekking trip was cut short). The rooms are big, clean and quiet. It is not 4 stars to Western Standards, but it is good value for the money. Not to mention it is a great and central location in Thamel and a short walk to many the sights around Kathmandu.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank henkk2
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Dear travellers,

I previously wrote a review regarding "do not send postcard
by the hotel" as I can't got my postcard for half an month.
Miracle thing is happened! I received my postcard on
28 Aug 08 which is almost a one month duration.
Somehow the postcard has stamped with "Japan
Osaka." Nevertheless, it is in my wife hand which
is the objective when I write it in Nepal. Thanks to
Vaishali! But I can't find slipper in room and this
needs improvement.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank whywhy73
Reviewed 26 August 2008

As a climber returning to the high himalaya I have stayed at the Hotel Vaishali twice, (before and after my trip to the mountains) in 2005 and 2007.

Yes, the hotel is listed as 4* and no it isn't a 4*. However, you would be wise to note that Nepal is still very much a developing country. From my point of view it was more than adequate. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, the food is hygenically prepared (I've never suffered stomach problems from eating there) and the staff friendly with a 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude.

It's right in the heart of Thamel, and right in the thick of a hundred great places to eat and drink - I recommend going beyond the Rum Doodle and the K2 bar and sampling a few others.

If you're looking for a destination where you can send quaint little postcards home and have no cause to whinge that they're late then I suggest Switzerland or Skegness....not Nepal.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Ben P
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We were bounced from the hotel we had been booked in, for one night in the Vaishali until the other hotel had a room.

The staff were very friendly, and the room OK. The bathroom was dark and dingy, the water cold and discolored, and the towels felt more like sandpaper than cloth.

At breakfast, the coffee was good - actually the best I had on the trip, but most of the other breakfast bar items were less than appetizing.

Would not choose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple