“You will not be disappointed!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Shanker

Hotel Shanker
Ranked #36 of 190 Hotels in Kathmandu
“You will not be disappointed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

We were blown away with the warmth and hospitality we received at Shankar Hotel. We stayed there for 7 nights and every morning, right from when we left our room till we reached the restaurant we were greeted by a million staff members who were always smiling and were generally so warm and welcoming. It was the nicest way to start our day!The staff was extremely helpful, happy and prompt throughout our stay there.

The breakfast buffet was very elaborate and lavish, and what I loved most was how it was consistently good!Not once in seven days was I let down! The food was by far a highlight and was the highest quality food we had in Kathmandu. Room service too was very good and prompt.(Do try their veg momos, chicken/potato chilly,they were delicious!)

The rooms were beautifully done up, clean, very comfortable, immaculate in every way. A quaint mixture of old charm and modern sensibilities , this hotel was a delightful place to stay in. Special mention should also be made of the beautiful, well kept gardens and swimming pool. Clean, hygienic and comfortable rooms and surroundings where all your needs are promptly met by a gracious and hospitable staff, what more could you ask for?

The hotel was centrally located and close to all the touristy areas. This made life very easy for us. Taxis were easily available and the hotel very promptly arranged for them whenever required.

I cannot emphasize enough how delightful my stay at Shankar was. Each and every member in the hotel went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. They took hospitality to a whole new level! If you're visiting Kathmandu do stay there, trust me,you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to write this review. You have really set the mood for the entire team today! It is great to hear that you loved our breakfast buffet and our staff members.

Thank you again for writing such a wonderful review about our property. We welcome you to be our guest again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ko Samui, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

This hotel was originally a palace and looks very grand from the outside.
All the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the hotel is set in a large garden with a swimming pool and bar which makes a very comfortable place to rest after a trip into town!
My room was comfortable but very much needed decorating as the walls were grubby.
Breakfast was O.K. And the staff very attentive.
On the downside the plumibing was very noisy as were the trekkers leaving early in the morning so i never got a full nights sleep and when I tried to take a siesta in the afternoon, despite the do not disturb sign, the laundry service rang on having seen the sign to ask wether they could bring the laundry.
This happened two days running and I was not amused.
There is a bar in the lobby which has a T.V. Blaring making it truly instrusive and I think it more for the benefit of the staff than patrons

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jonathan N
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
I am very happy to hear that you appreciated the neo classical style architecture style and the friendliness of our staff members.

I understand that being disturbed by the laundry staff in-spite of having the DND sign on the room is not the most amusing experience to walk out of. I apologize of behalf of them. We have already figured out staff members responsible for this and I ensure such incidents will not repeat in this hotel.

Regarding the TV in the bar, a lot of guests like to watch movies and matches. Our bar attendants are extremely responsive guest requirements audio levels are set according to guest preferences.

I thank you for having chosen to stay with us during your trip to Nepal.
Black Mountain, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Granted, the building has seen better days. However, the staff are absolutely superb! The rooms are clean and quiet. The grounds are spectacular. The pool is clean and offers a bit of privacy. There are some nice little attached shops if you don't want to hassel of leaving the property. Truely a quiet haven a few steps removed from all the business of Kathmandu. The breakfast buffett is more than sufficient. (We had to leave early one morning and asked if it was possible to get a "box" to go. What we got was so sweet, a very thoughful boxed breakfast that filled us until a late lunch...a lovely touch) The reception area is very good at providing directions, making any sort of arrangements, making local calls etc. Way above and beyond. I wouldn't look any further than staying here again. (We had a total of 3 nights here)

Room Tip: I don't know that there is a bad room here.
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thanks for writing such a wonderful review! Getting a full score on "Service" is a great achievement. Customer Satisfaction has always our No. 1 priority. We look forward to seeing you again!
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I arrived at 06.00am at New Delhi airport from Helsinki to take a fast taxi to the hotel before the morning rush. As a Finnish passport holder a visa on arrival is possible but only 60 days after the last visit. I did not know that when I had agreed to meet a friend in Delhi on my way to Bangkok. The passport officers kindly ordered me back to Finland or to Kathmandu where I could get a visa! So I jumped on a plane to Nepal at midday and arrived under clear blue skies to this very dusty but intriguing small city. I had seen that the Shanker was well regarded by Tripadvisor and that they offered a 60% discount on last minute deals on their website. I could have got a USD10 deal for Madhuban Guest House that my neighbor enthused about but I wanted to be sure of sleeping well that one night.
And that I did! The hotel is certainly from the old world but the gardens are green and well kept. The older staff are really traditional colonial style polite people who treat all guests like VIP's. The younger staff were modern and friendly - unlike the older staff members they did not salute me each time I past. The reception was very helpful on arrival. The room was a touch tired with dark surfaces but everything worked well including Internet.
The restaurant was fun and had a big menu of good dishes. The bar was the best part - small an intimate where you could chat with others and enjoy a good meal and drink.
The next morning I got my visa at the Indian Embassy - that's another story - but it is worth mentioning that Shankers is near this embassy and right next door to the embassy is a small agency that can make the application and physically apply for and deliver all the documents on your behalf so you do not have to wait around all day in the queues.
The hotel is near Tummel- the big market - getting thereon foot is just 10 minutes - but at night this is tricky because there are no street lights!
One night in the Shanker was great - the gardens and the pool are exactly as they are photographed...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicholas A
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
I found the story of your visit to Kathmandu very interesting! I certainly hope that you get to spend a little more time to soak up the beauty of our country when you're around South Asia next time.

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience and we are all very happy to hear that we were able to show a good time! Look forward to see you soon!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

The hotel is a little tired but it's very nice and well worth a visit.

As you enter the grounds of the Shanker Hotel, the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu seems to just dissapear. The hotel is a little tired but it's in good shape and you can just imagine what it was like in it's hey day.

The hotel is located within easy walking distance to the Thamel (backpackers) area.
Our room was a nice size, clean and comfortable.
The garden and pool area are a great place to relax after a day seeing the city.
The staff were very friendly and quick to assist if you need any help.
Breakfast (included) was served in a big ballroom - there was a good variety and the service was excellent.

pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
I am delighted to hear that we could leave a positive impression on your memory with our customer service. This hotel was formerly a Rana Palace (Nepal's erstwhile ruling elite), and it is over a hundred years old! However, the management had done a great job maintaining this property.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast spread. Hope you choose to stay with us the next time you're around!
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday whilst we were travelling as a treat and it proved to be a very good choice. The best part of this hotel is the gardens and pool. This peaceful setting is incredibly rare in Kathmandu and seemed a world away from the craziness at the end of the road. The rooms were very clean, extremely comfortable and the bathroom was also good.

The only drawback is the area surrounding the hotel (which is very run down) and a couple of the female reception staff were not very welcoming. When I asked if they could help me book a table for my girlfriend's birthday they asked if it was necessary then demanded that I get the phone number, show my room number and cross other hurdles before I got 1 attempt and was told "he's busy".

This didn't ruin what was a very pleasant stay and we were even given a complimentary cake to celebrate by the male reception staff!

pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
We are all very pleased to hear about your account. Thank you for taking a moment to write it.

I will investigate further into your experience with one of our female reception staff member. Hope you choose to stay with us on your next trip to Kathmandu!
climping
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

A good quality hotel by Nepali standards.
Staff riendly and rooms very clean. The breakfast was excellant with an array of local and western choices.
Also a good size pool.
A great benefit was the location..5 minute walk from the lively Thamel area.
Tip: take a torch with you as there a frequent power cuts and at night the streets are not illuminated and the standard of pavements and road are poor to say the least!

pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write down such a helpful review. I am happy to hear that you were happy with our breakfast spread and our hotel facilities.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Kathmandu!