“Amazing experience”

Ranked #38 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
New Delhi, India
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at Shanker Hotel for 3 nights , the room was cozy, comfortable with all the required basic amenities, the room service was quick and impressive. They have a 24/7 kitchen service which great, one can order cocktails, food , snacks at late hours. They welcomed us with fruits and chocolates and even sent chocolates with an invitation on Christmas eve. The hotel is spacious and clean . The exterior of the hotel is not less than a palace. Our package included breakfast but we were not able to avail that as we slept really late so we ordered breakfast in the room around 12 which was not the "breakfast " time, but they were generous enough to not charge us anything for that meal which happened twice. The food was reasonably tasty (Indian) and the continental food was awesome. Their breakfast buffet had variety and was really tasty. The hotel is situated in Lazimpat which is a 5 to 10 min drive from Thamel, one can find taxis at 150 to 200 NPR which is quite reasonable or you can walk . Overall it was a great experience. I am looking forward for my next trip to Nepal and Shanker Hotel. Thank you .

Room Tip: Standard rooms are reasonably spacious but if you have extra luggage so one should upgrade to a delu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
It is good to know that you liked our hotel; that your stay was comfortable and that you felt comfortable in our rooms and facilities. I also appreciate that you mentioned the quality of service provided by our staff members.

Thank you again, and please come and stay with us once more during your next visit to Kathmandu.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for 3 nights. The best part of my stay was the friendliness of the staff. The room was clean and quiet. I have read complaints by other reviewers about the size of the bathroom. It is small but I have seen similar size bathrooms at hotels in NYC. The location is great. You can find far cheaper hotels in Kathmandu but if you value cleanliness and security the value of this hotel is hard to beat plus you get a free breakfast and the wireless internet connection is free for one device. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Oli-Ben-Zani
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Thank you for taking time reviewing us at tripadvisor. I am very glad to know that your stay was a very good one and that you felt comfortable in our rooms and with our facilities. I also appreciate that you mentioned the quality of our restaurant food.

Newbridge, Ireland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Shanker is a grand old hotel situated slightly outside the main Kathmandu tourist district of Thamel, although still within walking distance (or a very cheap taxi ride)

Considering the building is a historic palace, the owners have done a great job of keeping the facilities up to date. We had no issues with the wifi, and the bathroom was modern and immaculate.

The garden and pool area are beautiful, and help make Shanker a real oasis away from the madness of the city.

Highly recommended for those with the budget and who are looking for something out of the ordinary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your wonderful comments.

It was great to know that enjoyed your stay with us on an overall basis and I am glad to know that we were able to have left a favorable impression.

We hope to welcome you back again sometime in the future.
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Spent 4 nights here after 3 weeks in India, booked independently before joining a tour. Nice touch with fruit and chocs but maybe not given if on a shorter stay. Staff very lovely and genuine, good meals, walking distance to Thamel and further sites. Hot water every time! Very well priced compared to similar places further out, book ahead if possible for good rates, (booking.com. Can I say that) Wish we had more time to sit in the pretty gardens, although we did enjoy the tranquility. Hired a car and driver from the tour desk, one day, fine but little English, xK

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Shanker is in a great location less, than 10 minutes walk to the main tourist district Thamel.

Positives:

Clean, good bathrooms, quite location, buffet breakfast (large selection), flexible with booking changes, nice pool to relax around

Negatives

WiFi issues (had to use their computers, Ipad would not work), extremely hard beds, some rooms are two storeys (entrance top, room lower),

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 12 December 2013

Your comments regarding the WI FI and double storey rooms has been noted and taken up to the management for further perusal. We are in the process of converting our two storey rooms into single level rooms. Thank you for your suggestions.

Best regards from Nepal.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Hotel Shanker is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the Thamel area -- about a 10 minute walk. I found it to be a nice, if not quirky, hotel When I arrived I was given a room on a higher floor in a quiet area as I'd requested, but unfortunately it smelled like cigarettes. I was graciously moved the next day to a similar room one floor higher which a much larger window. The room is clean, their is a smallish TV with some cable stations and even HBO, water is complimentary, the towels are soft. I had to add 2 extras days not covered by my tour and I got a great rate on Hotels.com, so if you are booking yourself, look around.

Breakfast is included and is a hodge podge of cuisines including Indian, Nepali and versions of Western foods like pancakes, omelets, muffins, etc.. The food can be trusted to not get you sick, even the fruit. The bacon is pretty darn good. The other meals are the same mix of cultures, but as elsewhere in Nepal, you can be pretty sure that if you order something with a Western name, it will NOT match what you get at home. Just be open to that possibility and enjoy what you get.

The pool area is really wonderful. It's lovely to sit out there and get a cup of tea after a day of sightseeing in Kathmandu's crazy traffic. They will, most probably, try to bill you for internet. In my experience, this can be negotiated. At least give it a try.

Something I discovered toward the end of my trip was that they are associated with the Tranquility Spa, which is about a 10-15 walk from the hotel. That said, you can arrange to have an in room massage for $25 with tip. It was fabulous. Be aware though that the spa itself doesn't take credit cards. I learned this the hard way after booking something for the day I was leaving Kathmandu. If you are staying at the hotel you can arrange to pay through them, but unfortunately for me, I was already checked out. Get the in room massage, it's a bargain and fabulous.

In general, the staff is welcoming and helpful, always greeting you with a "good morning" or "Namaste". There are exceptions, once while I was arranging some things through the front desk, the clerk repeatedly interrupted our transaction (which wasn't a long one) to deal with the next person who stepped up, most of whom are happy to interrupt you and complete their transaction, leaving you to wait until they are finished. One fellow American had the nerve to get sarcastic with me because I was annoyed! Oh well, such is life.

I'd stay at the Hotel Shanker again if I came to Kathmandu.

Room Tip: I asked for an upper floor (6th or 7th floor); 7th floor has larger windows. It's quiet up ther...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NY10040
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for posting this wonderful review here on Trip Advisor.

I glad that you enjoyed all aspects about your stay with us -- in particular that you appreciated the way we have maintained our old world charm. I am happy that you perceived our associates to be very friendly and service oriented.

Thank for having chosen to stay with us. I hope that you stay with us on your return visits to our fascinating city.
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is one of the best at this level of price I have visited in Asia (I have stayed in more than a hundred since 1980). Efficient and courteous staff, being never intrusive or too familiar. Good restaurant and impressive buffet breakfast. The bedrooms are comfy and decorated just like 30 years ago. The only concessions to modern times are the flat screen TV and electronic safe. The bathrooms have bathtub, and everything is well maintained.
I would be less laudative for the bedding, which is to my taste a little too soft. But this is personal.
Outside, a manicured garden surrounding a large swimming pool with a bar next.
The location is good, 10 mn walk to Thamel, and shops not far.
I will certainly come back !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dominique756
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are humbled by your remarks. Thank you for comparing us to the very best of hotels in Asia. Glad to know that you perceived our staff to be courteous. I have shared your remarks about the breakfast with our Chef, who is happy to hear about it.

Thank you once again. Hope to welcome you on your return visits to our city.