Kathmandu Guest House
Kathmandu Home Hotel(Kathmandu)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$37
US$46
US$36
1,358 results
All reviewsan institutionnew wingan oasisbeautiful gardendeluxe roomthamel districthotel groundsthe hustle and bustletravel desktourist areadurbar squarehot waterhearttrekbudgetsatmchaos
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Last week I returned to Kathmandu after teaching for a full year in China. I was horribly worried that I wouldn't be able to get a reservation -- especially since the contract's ending date was uncertain, and my needs were for a rather inexpensive room. However, the Reservations Manager wrote to me in China and even arranged for a complimentary 11 pm pickup at the airport! Later, the Operations Manager smoothed the way when my dates got scrambled.

I didn't think it would be possible to relieve my exhaustion and soothe my nerves, but this place has. For one thing, they've added several young professionals, Nepalese people with very good English and sympathy for how hard work and travel can be nowadays. Two young women made my life so much easier that I can't say enough. Both Pragya Tuladhar, the Guest Relation Officer, and Narayani Maharjan, Housekeeping Manager, were educated in the West, and they perfectly understand our needs.

My favorite rooms are in the old Rana palace part of the guest house, though all the rooms are comfortable and very clean. The garden, with or without the excellent restaurant service, is peaceful and soothing. I spend an hour a day reading on the well-padded swing, or sitting in the shade of a palm tree, watching the sky.

I hope you'll give Kathmandu Guest House a try. It's worth it!

Room Tip: My personal preference is for a room close to where the Beatles stayed in the '70's
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary Ann D
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have been staying at the KGH on and off for many years - I find it convenient, welcoming and good value (I usually have one of the cheapest rooms), but there are often problems of overbooking in high season and even those who have reserved rooms may be required to spend a night or two in another room before they get access to the one they booked. Many of the staff have been there for years, which makes it generally friendly and familiar. But it needs a clear cold hard look at itself to re-invent itself and cater - as it tries to do - better to a wide range of visitors, from lowly to high spending

Room Tip: have a look first if you can, if not then book for a night first and have a look if you decide to say longer...the older cheaper rooms are probably best value for money
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank 797david
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

We got a room at the back of the building. Windows are open to a narrow street where 6-7 am the traffic started with usual horning. WiFi is not included and it is rather expensive. Have the morning coffee in a cafe nearby where the WiFi is included for free as the coffee is not included in the breakfast. Bathroom is ok. Could be more clean, but can survive.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank GergoG
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in July this year and will NEVER stay here again. Paid US$50 to stay in a fan room. The main reason for staying here was as a treat prior to trekking to watch some Olympic action. This was not to be the case - the power was constantly off, and, despite having generator power only power to the lights in the room was supplied. When I complained I was informed by the very rude man at the front desk that power is preferentially given to those in air conditioned rooms; if I cared to pay another $30 plus 23% tax then I could upgrade to one of those rooms. On top of this the sheets were dirty, bathroom was filthy, the room smelled like it had not been aired in 6 months and was very stuffy, the beer in the restaurant was warm and overpriced. I could not agree more with previous comments that the staff in the bar then hover trying to sell you more warm, overpriced beer. There are a lot better hotels in Kathmandu for much more reasonable prices.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sunnycoastgirl1975
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I really loved staying in this guest house. I was in and out of Kathmandu, but every time I came back there, I stayed in KGH. In total it was around 7 days. The highlights of KGH are:
1) Location - you are right in the middle of Thamel. You are surrounded by restaurants, stores etc. It is also a walking distance to the Durbar Square (around 20 mins).
2) Options of rooms - they offer the customers a variety of rooms for a huge range of budget (from U$ 10 to 160 per night). I got a U$30 room. It was a nice and clean room, private bath, no AC. It was very simple, but enough for me.
3) Fabulous garden - they have a nice and beautiful garden inside the guest house, where you can relax after walking through the bustling streets of Kathmandu.
4) Friendly environment - people there are very nice, and you also get to know a lot of people, as there are many single traveler there.
5) Nice cafe - they serve a great breakfast buffet, and have good options for lunch and dinner.
6) Internet - there are many computers that you can use for free, or you pay to get wifi.
7) Service - you can leave your luggage/ valuables there while you go trekking.
The price point is a little bit higher than some other guest houses (where some friends stayed), but there are so many intangible that you get in KGH, that I think it's worth paying just a little bit more.
Just loved it! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo