“A memorable stay everytime”

Ranked #35 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
“A memorable stay everytime”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We have been travelling to Nepal off and on and this was our second stay in Kathmandu Guest House and would rate the best among all the places we have stayed in so far, including five stars. The location is in a tourist hub but thats what we love about the place.
Since the rooms are not located near the street, they are quiet. Absolutely love sitting in the well maintained and quiet garden and evenings are nice in the open restaurant in the front. People who are sensitive to heat may have problems when electricity outages take place as the fans don't work but since the weather is usually pleasant throughout the year, we never really had much problems.

All in all this is a lovely place for people who do not expect too much more than they pay for, but we feel at home when we come to KGH each time and will be there the next time too.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Suchira_13
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Suchira,
Namaste,

Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your stay and your wonderful review. It is our pleasure to have you stay with us.

We are glad that KGH has become home for you and we will make sure you will always have a wonderful time whenever you are with us.

Thank you and hope to see you soon :)

Kathmandu Guest House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is a brilliant hotel set in the heart of Thamel area of Kathmandu. The staff, especially Nabin and Uttam (who we are convinced are a double for Morecombe and Wise!) are wonderful. The staff who look after the rooms are so obliging. Great atmosphere. Wonderful central garden to relax in and away from the bustle of Thamel. The hotel is going through major renovation work but this did not interfere with our stay. Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the garden are beautiful yet not the most expensive.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Liz G
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Liz,
Namaste,

Kathmandu Guest House family would like to thank you for your stay and your review. It is wonderful to know that you loved the time you spent here with us.

Our colleague, Mr. Uttam and Mr. Nabin sends you their warm regards along with all of our KGH family.

We wish to have you back soon and have a wonderful time ahead.

See you soon! :)

Pragya Tuladhar,
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I can imagine someone being very disappointed with KGH, and I can equally imagine someone being very happy with KGH. It all depends on what you're expecting. If you're used to traveling in major cities with top hotels, KGH is not in that class. If you're coming down from several weeks trekking in the Himalaya, KGH may be heaven to you. For me, I adjust my expectations depending on where I'm at, and I found KGH to be perfectly satisfactory if not a terrific value.

A shuttle from KGH was waiting for me at the airport when I arrived. Two men helped me with my luggage; one turned out to be free-lancing and asked for a tip, but the hotel driver was more professional and did not ask (but was still tipped). The shuttle was uncomfortable and not air-conditioned. When I asked for a shuttle to the airport at the end of my stay, I was told there was no return service offered (though the shuttle was parked in front). Instead, I was offered a private car at 50-100% more than I ended up paying a taxi.

KGH is located right in the middle of the touristy Thamel district of Kathmandu. If you want to be near restaurants and shopping for souvenirs, kashmir, handicrafts, kukris, etc., this is the place for you. There was a small market just outside the hotel gate, so bottled water, snacks, and amenities are readily available and affordable. Transportation is easy--there was always at least one taxi standing by outside the hotel, and taxis anywhere in the city always knew where KGH was. The hotel also has a variety of shops inside--a business center for printing, copies, or internet time, a travel agent, souvenirs, jewelry, books, laundry, etc. If you're looking for something a little quieter and away from the hustle and bustle, I recommend you look elsewhere.

I got a nice room in the "new wing" of the hotel. I've never stayed in the older part of the hotel, but noted a couple of times when locals heard I was at KGH they seemed apologetic or sorry for me, until someone else would tell them there was a new wing with nicer rooms. There may have been backpackers sharing dormitory-like accomodations elsewhere in the hotel, but I had a clean, modern, air-conditioned room with typical amenities: a hot bath, 2-3 liters of free bottled water a day, complimentary signature tea and noodles, comfortable chairs, cable television, and even a small balcony overlooking the hotel's garden area. I slept in a pretty small bed (there were two in the room), but I did sleep well. I needed extra hangars and an electric adapter, and housekeeping fixed me up with both.

Free wireless Internet is available in the hotel restaurant, but I had to go to the business center and purchase computer time to get it in my room. Armed with that password, however, I was pleasantly surprised at the high Internet speed I was able to enjoy--certainly enough for streaming video or making Skype calls.

I ate several times in the hotel restaurant, and enjoyed the food ordered from the menu. There are a variety of food styles available. The restaurant is outside seating. Watch out if you're allergic to cats; several seemed to hang out there. Prices are typical for the area. I was not at all pleased to hear I couldn't just sign for my meals, but would have to settle the bill each time. This complicated my expense report unnecessarily.

Breakfast each morning was included in my room charge, and consisted of cold cereals, yogurt, fruit, coffee and tea, toast, pancakes (syrup was available), roasted tomatoes, home-fried potatoes, sausage (tasted a lot like second-rate hot dog), and eggs. Each day a different type of egg was available, and they seemed to work on a strict rotation: fried, scrambled, masala omelet, boiled, and some sort of fritata. I enjoyed the breakfasts (except on boiled egg day) but it did get old by the end of my stay.

I had my laundry done once while a guest at KGH, and in my opinion this was the best value of the hotel. Apparently they send the laundry out, but mine came back clean, neatly bagged, and much less expensive than I've come to expect from a hotel. My socks, handkerchiefs, and briefs were not matched or folded.

I'm fine staying again at KGH, but would really rather try someplace different next time. Things got better for me the longer I stayed at KGH as my expectations grew to better match the reality. I felt that for what I paid I should have been able to sign for my meals in the restaurant, use the Internet for free in my room, and get a shuttle to the airport.

Room Tip: There's a "new wing" that apparently has less issue with odors, mold, etc. Also, if yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Chris M
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Staying at Kathmandu Guest House was a delight. Located in the middle of Thamel area, close to Durbar Square and most historic sites, it proved to be convenient to walk 15 minutes to most places of interest. Shopping was just outside the gate, although I found good semi-precious jewelry at one of the hotel stores. This guest house is not five star, but clean and a haven from the bustle of Thamel district. Lovely garden, atmosphere in hotel, friendliness of personnel and breakfast all made it very comfortable. In particular Nabin Shrestha the front office manager was the friendly face my wife Anna and I looked forward to see. He was more than helpful when we needed directions, advice, especially when I felt sick, he called the house doctor, and kept me informed of Doctors arrival time. Truly a five star treatment for a 3 star price. Sheets were fresh and crisp every day, floors were swept, water was hot and bathrooms clean. Recommend this place, it is a treat to stay at this former Rana residence at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Overlooking the garden is better. In May we did not need AC
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Yetish,
Namaste,

Thank you for your stay and your review, we appreciate your opinion.

We at KGH family thanks you and wishes that you be back soon. All of us always feel overwhelmed when our guests leave happily. It boosts our confidence to give our best every time.

Thank you again and see you soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We spent ten days at Kathmandu Guest House and would definitely come back there again. It was the best stay in Nepal that we had. The hotel is centrally located, in the heart of Thamel, in walking distance to Durbar Square and the shops of Thamel district.

The best feature is its fantastic garden that makes the hustle and bustle of the city disappear. Rooms are very comfortable. All staff members are really helpful, especially Nabin Shrestha at the front desk, who helped us many times making calls and various arrangements for flights, taxis, etc. I will definitely recommend Kathmandu Guest House to friends.

Room Tip: Choose a garden facing room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Anna,
Namaste,

Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your stay and your wonderful review. We feel great to know you loved your stay.

Our colleage Mr. Nabin and all KGH family sends you our warm regards and hopes to see soon.

Thank you again and have a wonderful time ahead.

Jaipur in India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

kathmandu guest house is an average hotel with average service. The location is good. Its in the Thamil Area which is the heart of the kathmandu city.

This hotel is selected by me and my friend only because of the location. We have booked the hotel in advance but very disappointed with the room.

When ever you want to book ask for a room in the new wing other wise you will be disappointed

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Indian-Hitch-Hiker
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Dear Friend,
Namaste,

Thank you for your stay and your review. We appreciate your opinion and concerns.

We are also sad to hear that you were not quite satisfied with the rooms you were in. The new wing has great rooms but our old wing also have rooms that carry great historic backgrounds. Most of the rooms in our older section like, standard and garden facing rooms are being renovated.

We are glad that you loved our location and through this we would like to request you to give us another chance to serve you so that next time you will love your stay with us too.

London UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I booked a room in July, and discovered that the rooms WERE NOT AIR CONDITIONED. They had taken the full amount on my credit card on the same day as booking. I cancelled the room and I am still waiting for refund 7 days later.

Room Tip: No air conditioning in rooms. Bad value for money
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank LondonUKStan
Dear Friend,
Namaste,

Thank you for your review and would like to apologize for your dissatisfaction.

However, we have rooms that are air conditioned and non air conditioned at various prices. We are more than happy to book you either rooms.

Please let us know if you want us to give different details on the room types with the prices and to help you better we would like to request you to send us your name and the date of booking at our email, info@ktmgh.com, so that we promptly act.