Dwarika's Hotel
US$76
US$68
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Yak & Yeti(Kathmandu)
US$205
Hotel Shambala(Kathmandu)
US$95
Agoda.com
1,185 results
All reviewsnepalese restaurantan oasisfusion barliving museumday bedbeautiful hotelwooden windowsjunior suiteheritage hotelrooms are hugeclose to the airportnewari stylemain restaurantnepali culturechaotic kathmandubusy citysitting area
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This luxury Heritage Hotel is the perfect oasis of tranquility in the hustle that is Kathmandu. The grounds are spacious and gorgeous, the architecture beautifully authentic and the room we had was excellent. Food is great and varied - perfect for a traveller. Staff are first class as are the services and entertainment (including dance displays). This is the perfect place to stay if you want peace, quiet and privacy.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Dwarika's Hotel, Kathmandu, Nepal

I have stayed in the Dwarika's Hotel twice. My first stay experience was everything that one might expect from a 5-star hotel. The Dwarika's is a quiet oasis in a very noisy city. Had in written a review last year, it would have been excellent across the board, but since my recent stay was less-than-satisfactory, I am giving the hotel only an average review. My main reason for even taking the time to write this review is to warn anyone booking a room at the Dwarika's to avoid booking their stay in the room that I was initially assigned. Since there are so many excellent reviews, the chance of anyone reading another excellent review of this hotel is minimal, so I gave the hotel an average review in the hope that more people might opt to read one of the few such reviews.

I was originally placed in the Lumbini building of the hotel, a central structure completed in 1981 located just across a small courtyard near the entrance of the hotel and surrounded by most of the activity in the hotel. The building itself is beautiful, but I was given room 21 and one of my colleagues on the trip was given room 22. These rooms are located on the ground floor with a busy and noisy restaurant located just outside the windows. The hotel has placed tables within several feet of the windows of these two room, so privacy is not possible. After looking out the window and directly into the eyes of a diner seated just over fifteen feet from my window, I knew that it would not be possible to stay in this room with the drapes open. However, there were no sheer drapes, only blackout drapes, so that when I drew the drapes closed, the room was cast into total darkness in the middle of the day. Even had I decided to stay in the room in spite of the lack of privacy, the noise level on this level with the restaurant so nearby, and with a barbecue planned for that evening, was intolerable. Further, compared to my room during last year' stay and the new room I was moved to, these two rooms are only slightly larger than a standard hotel room.

So, unless you are willing to tolerate a noisy room without privacy, avoid rooms 21 and 22 in the Lumbini building. Actually, you would do well to avoid any room in this building. My entire party was placed in this building and each of them reported excessive noise from the loud music at the evening barbecue. You would do well to ask for rooms numbered under 21 or over 50.

Overall, this hotel is a beautiful hotel with mostly large, quiet rooms, great food and drinks in the restaurants, all the amenities and an attentive staff. And, the front desk did provide my colleague and me with other rooms after I complained about the problems with my room. These rooms, numbers 64 and 69, were large and very quiet. However, I do not believe that any hotel that bills itself as a 5-star hotel should ever place their paying customers in such rooms as I have described above. Perhaps these rooms would be best used for friends of the staff staying for free, or whenever the hotel is completely full and then only at a markedly reduced rate. Better yet, either move the restaurant tables farther away from these rooms or use these rooms for some other purpose.

Room Tip: Avoid Lumbini Building, especially rooms 21 and 22. Best rooms under 21 and over 50.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Charles G
Reviewed 2 November 2013

After a long,long journey we were so pleased to be up-graded to a lovely large and very well appointed room.although the hotel is on a busy road the room was perfectly quiet.
The staff were very helpful indeed.
This is an intriguing hotel like no other.
My only criticism was the food was very bland...a good curry would have been most welcome

Reviewed 28 October 2013

During our 3 week stay in Nepal, we stayed at this luxurious hotel on 4 separate occasions for a total of 9 nights. The Dwarika's experience starts as soon as you step into the hotel with a scarf & a welcoming drink. Our first reaction to the hotel was like walking into a Nepali museum with all of the hotel's wonderful Newari wood carvings, architecture and historical pieces of art. As others have mentioned, it is like an oasis in the middle of a very chaotic and busy Kathmandu. The grounds, the courtyards, the pool area and the gardens are immaculately maintained which only adds to the serenity and beauty of the hotel. Whilst it is located near the airport, the main tourist area of Thamel is only a 10 minute taxi ride away. Each time we returned to the hotel, we were given a different room / suite within the complex and never had an issue with any of them. All the rooms seem to be unique and have their own charm, and are decorated in the Newari style / theme of this beautifully preserved heritage hotel. The rooms contain all of the services one would expect to be present in a 5 star hotel ... including wifi, safe for valuables, fridge, hair dryer, tea / coffee, etc.

We had dinner and lunch at the main restaurant on a number of occasions and found the food to be of a very high standard with a multitude of selections to suit everyone's tastes. Breakfast is buffet style with a large variety of choices. There are also areas within the courtyard confines where guests can enjoy their meals outside.There is a great bar (with its great list of cocktails) near the pool area, a Japanese restaurant within the hotel and a special Nepali restaurant which provides guests with a local Nepali experience, which we can highly recommend. My wife also had no issues with her "gluten intolerance" requirements and the restaurant staff were very helpful in this regard.

The staff we found to be very service & customer orientated. On each occasion when we returned to this hotel, it felt like we were coming back to "our family" given the warmth and friendship extended to us. We would like to acknowledge two staff members, in particular, Shiraj and Regan from the Reception / Hospitality area for their outstanding service & support given to us.

If you are looking for a very unique and special Nepali experience whilst staying in Kathmandu, then we would highly recommend Dwarika's ... we found it to be very memorable and a highlight of our time in Nepal..

Room Tip: If your budget can be stretched, suggest you book one of the suites.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Dwarika's hotel is an oasis in the middle of Kathmandu that could be easily missed unless you knew it was there! Once through the ornate doors it's peace and tranquility that greets you along with the charming staff. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite - and what a suite! An enormous room that not only held an extremely large bed but also a 'DayBed' to lounge on? The rest of the furniture - a desk, coffee table and chairs were heavy and ornate in keeping with the old world ambience of the hotel. The bathroom and washbasins occupy two bays at the end of the room. I personally am not a fan of the 'open plan bathing' that seems to have become so popular in this part of the world lately but at least the shower and toilet were private! Breakfasts were buffet style and extremely good with smiling staff cooking omelettes, pancakes etc to order. We also had two evening meals there, both of which were very tasty. We left for a four day safari and the staff kindly allowed us to leave a suitcase there as we were returning for one night. The padlock on this suitcase jammed and whilst we had breakfast the ever obliging staff had the lock sawn off and another lock bought from the local market so that we could lock it before we left! Service indeed! On our return we were shown to another suite - upgraded again as they were sorry we'd had to endure a 7 hour car journey rather than a two hour flight due to fog at Pokhara airport. It is a lovely hotel with a lot of character made even more special by the lovely staff and definitely the place to stay in Kathmandu. The two resident dogs padding around gave the feeling of being in a private - albeit palatial - home!

Room Tip: Book a suite if possible - not only extremely large rooms but fascinating furniture from a bygone age.