“Great location in Kathmandu”
Review of Hotel Excelsior

Hotel Excelsior
Ranked #108 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
Sydney
“Great location in Kathmandu”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel was advertised to have hot water showers and when we arrived- it didn't. We later heard from other travellers that it's a hit and miss with their hot showers. So I guess we were out of luck. Apart from the hot water showers, this was a very nice hotel. Everything was quite basic but it had everything we needed. The hotel is clean and the rooms are a decent size and it has the perfect location. It is situated right in the heart of Thamel tucked into a little side street but on Friday and Saturday nights you can hear really loud music coming from Thamel. The staff were really nice, they offered to take our luggage upstairs and when we tipped him he said you don't have to unless you really want to. I've never had someone decline a tip! For the price, it is worth the stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Denmark, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at Excelsior for 5 nights. Nepal was part of our tour to Asia. We also had India on our platter but we first visited Nepal. The beauty of Nepal was breath taking. It was not a very crowded place but peaceful. Our hotel was situated in Thamel which is a central location and a busy, popular colorful market place. It is the heart of Nepal and a lively place. We were lucky to have found a hotel and that too on a budget near this popular place. The hotel was fine with comfortable rooms, services and food that were lip smacking good. We would definitely recommend the hotel to various budget travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed 5 January 2014

First of all this is a very nice hotel, It is clean, has air conditioned rooms and a perfect location in the heart of Thamel. More important is the warmth and care from the wonderful people who work there. I have been to Nepal 6 times over the past 7 years and have always stayed at this hotel while in Kathmandu. Most of the staff have been there at least as long as I have been staying there. I always feel like I am visiting dear friends when I stay there and this adds so much to the experience of being in Nepal.
I have stayed at high end hotels with all the luxuries and they do not come close to the wonderful experience I have each time I stay at Hotel Excelsior.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel are better if you want to go to sleep early. Sometimes there i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steego2014
Orlando, FL, USA
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Great accommodations! I was told about this hotel from my Nepali friend and I was so glad I found it. The location is so perfect and the rooftop patio is awesome providing a view over all of Kathmandu and the Himalayas! The room was large with good storage, and the bathroom was also large and I always had plenty of hot water! The new super-quiet and effective air conditioner was wonderful, and the beds were comfortable, too! The staff was so friendly and helpful. You cannot beat this hotel for the money! I will tell others about your great hotel and I look forward to when I can go back for another visit!

Breakfast at Pumpernickel Bakery next door is awesome! And New Orleans restaurant has excellent food and ambiance for dinner just around down the street.

Room Tip: I had a corner room with lots of light and a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank DavidOrlando_FL_USA
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were put in this hotel when we arrived at the Kathmandu Guest House but they didn't have our booking. We were sold a deluxe double room at a "bargain" price of $65 plus tax. The hotel is very central and the room was clean, but for the money it was not what we were expecting. If it had been cheaper I think we would have been happier with it. There was a huge amount of noise on night one - you may as well be in the club it was that loud - in fact, we went back out as there was no way you could sleep. It does have WIFI but we found it terribly difficult to find anywhere where we could get it to work. Shower had hot water and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sazzle02
Kunsang D, General Manager at Hotel Excelsior, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Well we are very sorry for the loud noise from across, we have been constantly complaining to the authorities as well as the bar from where the noise comes, the noise pollution in Thamel has been one of the hot debates at the meetings of Thamel Tourism Development Council, where I myself am an executive member of the board. With regard to price the price you paid was quoted by the Kathmandu Guest House staff who recommended our place. That is our tariff. We always offer handsome discounts to all guests booking directly with us. Wi-Fi some times works great and some times it gets on your nerves, we will improve on that too. We are sorry this time hopefully we will see you on your next visit and we assure you a good sleep and uninterrupted wi fi. Thank you for writing on TripAdvisor,
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here while we were on an Indian vacation. Our stay here was for 4 days and it was a memorable experience. We went hiking too. The hotel had free pick up service that served us well during our arrival. The staff was very warm and welcoming. The room we stayed in was small but neat and clean, the bed was soft and the bed sheets clean. The décor of the room was nice and it had all the modern facilities. We spent many romantic dinners at the roof top restaurant enjoying both, the food and the view of the city. The hotel is in a good, central location so there are a lot of markets and restaurants around. It’s a perfect place for food and shop-a-holics. We recommend it to all.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and stayed here before and after our hiking trip. They had free airport pick-up and also stored our luggage during our trekking. They were very responsive and accommodating on e-mail.The rooms were clean, friendly staff, great restaurant with a nice rooftop patio, and right in the heart of Thamel. Only complaint was live music right across the lot...Bollywood disco?...until midnight every night. Otherwise, would stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street side!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple