“A great hotel in reasonable location”
Review of Hotel Tibet

Hotel Tibet
Ranked #40 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
Canberra, Australia
“A great hotel in reasonable location”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My first time in Nepal and stayed here for two nights. I arrived at about midnight after a delayed arrival and check-in was smooth. My room on third floor was not facing the front side where rooms have balconies so I had a view of the house next door. The room was quite simple and a typical standard room configuration of twin beds, desk, small sitting area and bathroom. All was clean except for the bin under the desk that had a dried up banana skin in. The bathroom was on the aging side but functional. Hand soap was a local brand and like a disinfectant type with not such a great smell. Shampoo was supplied in small sachets; also local brand and not that great quality. There was a hand towel holder, but no hand towel - just two bath towels. Shower/hot water were great. Bed and pilows were clean and quite comfortable.
I had breakfast in the restaurant which was included (buffet). There is an indoor eating section as well as a great outdoor area which also has a bar. Plenty of green plants and a nice garden atmosphere. The food quality was average and there was an egg bar to get cooked eggs/omlettes made to order. The juice was not that great but other dishes ok. The best though was the coffee - Illy brand and made by a very talented staff member - one of the best I have had! If you like a good coffee - stay here just for that!
There is an outdoor area on the fifth floor which offers views of Kathmandu and the Raddison hotel next door. Both indoor and outdoor areas to nap/relax or sunbath with a drink.
Overall service was good and all the staff were kind and courteous. There is also a tour desk that can arrange a whole range of activities. Location wise, it is next to the Raddison hotel where there is a casino and restaurants. There is also a short shopping street with souvenirs and a supermarket a short walk away. It is about a 15 minute walk to to the main tourist area of Thamel down a dusty road (but then all the roads are dusty)
Overall a recommended hotel - especially for the great coffee.

Overall I would recommed this hotel as

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kleinrhys
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Kleinrhys,
I am pleased to hear that our effort to exceed expectation has been noticed and you were kind enough to share your memorable experience with us on trip adviser. Kindly rest assured that your valuable comment has been noted by housekeeping and kitchen Departments. They will surely take appropriate action to follow up. I have shared your wonderful remarks with our staff and it is highly appreciated by all.
We look forward to serve you at Hotel Tibet soon.
GRE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pontevedra, Spain
Reviewed 28 October 2013

+ good hot water supply; good water pressure
+ nice Tibetan decoration in the lounge and in the rooms
+ quiet
+ many restaurant staff were ready and available to assist anyone during breakfast
+ with elevator

- the water from the tap and shower smelled bad (like that from the canal or that of stagnant water)
- free breakfast was so-so
- dinner was expensive and horrendous (It's more because of the quality of the ingredients used, not really the chef's shortcomings, I think.)
- the sofas in the lounge need changing
- dim room (some lights were not functioning)
- a very pricey hotel for what you get (room and breakfast) – 198 USD excluding 13% VAT and 10% service charge. At Hotel Manaslu, you get to pay only around 75 USD but you have better rooms (some more spacious and with “character”), very good food and more professional and well-dressed staff

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Xhai Z
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Chey1880,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Hotel Tibet. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. This issue is well noted. Kindly rest assured that your valuable comment has been noted by all Departments concern. They will surely take appropriate action to follow up the maintenance plan. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
coolup
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here in September and had a fantastic stay.The staff were very friendly and allways ready to help when we asked.The room were clean and well serviced.The food was great.Breakfast was as much as you can eat and great way to start the day.I cant recommend this hotel enough. Thanks hotel Tibet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear david b,
It is great to know that you enjoyed and liked our Hotel. Your perfect score is truly appreciated.
We look forward to serve you again in the near future!
Arcata, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was on a medical trip in Nepal and we came home each night tired and hungry. The rooms are clean, the staff is helpful and kind, and the food in the restaurant areas is safe and tasty. There are many things about this place that make it cozy, with incense burning and cultural art and furniture touches. The only complaint I have is that the internet is not reliable nor is the bandwidth adequate. Otherwise a home away from home.
I ended up walking to the Radissen next door for internet, and also got a couple of good meals there (but too touristy for me). Great shopping on the street nearby, although overpriced. At the end of the street is a market with all kinds of goodies for between meals or for hikes.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the front desk seem to have better internet, although sometimes even in the lobby it...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear bonmom707,
Thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate the nice comments about our hotel. We’re glad that you had a great time during your medical trip stay with us. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you with internet facility in the near future and look forward to seeing you back again next time!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Hello/ Namaste!

This is my first review on TripAdvisor, and the fantastic service, support and professional warmth shown by this hotel is the reason I'm compelled to write about them.

I stayed here in late July with my mother for 7 days, 6 nights. We had driven from Lhasa, Tibet, after spending 6 weeks in China/Tibet.

We got back home in mid-August and I with looking for work, haven't had a chance to write this review, but it's been on my to do list as the staff are simply awesome!

We originally booked Hotel Tibet Lazimpat for 3 nights only, but we extended it for the full stay.
Why?

Well, we had a budget, number one, but we also wanted a comparison: we visited the sister hotel, Hotel Tibet International, in Boudhanath/ Bodnath?(there are many variations of spelling !). We had heard great things about both, but the Hotel Tibet International is more expensive, so we wanted to check it out to compare as we knew the Hotel Tibet Lazimpat was a bit older.

Boudhanath is hectic, and the Hotel Tibet International is on the main road. So if you're short on time and don't mind a bit of noise, then you should stay here to be in the center of things as it's down the road from the amazing Boudhanath Stupa.

However, as we were staying longer, we decided to extend our full stay in Kathmandu with Hotel Tibet Lazimpat as we were so impressed with:
- the location away from the hectic noise when you want to sleep :)
- the service & care shown by all the staff
- the food & drink - great quality, cleanliness and price
- the Puja/ Prayer room & yoga rooftop area (clean, peaceful) - great for morning meditation!

We preferred the Hotel Tibet Lazimpat as it was incredibly quiet, away from the noise of the streets, but close to Thamel & central enough to get to all the other tourist areas. So big plus was for the LOCATION:
1. 15 min walk to The Garden of Dreams
2. 10 min walk to the royal palace museum
3. 20 min walk to Thamel (on the same street as Garden of Dreams) or 5 min taxi drive
4. Tour service arranged by the hotel (by Miss Roji) is of great quality - well educated guides, with perfect English and at a reasonable price
5. 2 minute walk to the supermarket (Big Mart) - perfect for stocking up on essentials or general stuff like shampoo/ toothpaste/ water/ panadol/ deoderant/ snacks/ cough medicine/ soap after our 6 week trip around China/Tibet.
6. 10-15min drive to Kathmandu Durbar Square
7. 3 min walk to main road to get any public transport
8. ps: It's right next to the Radisson, so the location isn't out of the way - it's known to taxi drivers & close to the main road. Just tell any driver "Radisson Hotel" and turn right before the Radisson entrance :)

Now, the Hotel Tibet Lazimpat is older that the one in Boudhanath, but I have to say hands down, it was easier to get to and from compared to its sister hotel (as it was away from the busy main street/ traffic of Boudhanath) and it was quieter, with nice garden and rooftop bar so after a day of culture and shopping, it felt like a sanctuary.

We spent days at the tourist centers of Boudhanath, Pashputinath, Lalitpur, Bakhtapur and Hanuman-dhoka Squares. So after everyday spending hours at temples, museums, shopping or wandering through Thamel, we needed a place to relax our feet and rest!

Although the hotel is older, it was great value for money, and the staff were extremely attentive, professional and warm. I have been lucky enough to stay at the W Hotel in LA, the Intercontinental in Sydney, 5 star resorts in Bali, Malaysia, hotels in HK, China and the staff at the Hotel Tibet Lazimpat were EVEN BETTER.

SERVICE
Always greeted with a smile, the staff figured out our preferences after the first few mornings and would cater to our requests with utmost care and friendliness. Laundry, room service, cleaning, food, reception - all sincere smiles and professional warmth. A really hard balance to get, but kudos to staff and management - they get this right!
My mum had a bad cough throughout this time, and the staff showed their care whenever we had a meal - they would offer extra water/ suggest meals which would help, and reception would ask whether we needed extra hot water etc. And every morning, they'd ask how she was. Attentive without being intrusive.

COFFEE
And the coffee here is amazing! I'm used to the barista coffee I get back in Sydney, where we are lucky enough to have fantastic lattes, cappuccinos etc. so it was a great surprise to get the same barista standards in Kathmandu!! The Illy coffee I had beat some 5 star hotels in LA, Indonesia, Malaysia and Hong Kong....so you can imagine it was such a relief after 6 weeks in China! A great start to the morning.

Food?
Well food in the hotel restaurant is moderately priced - we compared it to the tourist restaurants in Thamel/ Pratan/ Hanuman-dhoka Durbar Square - same price or a bit cheaper at the hotel, to be honest. :) So we always felt comfortable eating at the hotel as it was great value, and of a high standard. I was always amazed at the variety, freshness. We tried Nepali, Chinese, Tibetan meals.
We would eat lunch at the tourist centres (cafes/ restaurants) but mostly dinners & breakfast at the hotel for convenience and comfort.
Also the breakfast was buffet style with fresh cooked eggs, but we were surprised that after 7 mornings, we weren't bored with the breakfast! There was enough change to the breakfast choice that we were never bored as can sometimes happen when you stay in a place for long enough.

It's true, you can find cheaper food on the streets (non touristy areas), but mum and I were "splashing out" at the hotel for convenience & comfort for breakfast & dinner (considering the price was the same at touristy places) at the tail end of our 2 month adventure, and we weren't disappointed.

Ps - the iced teas were great, too and the staff would always ask us how the meals/ drinks were and would change/add anything if we asked. eg. my mum would ask for extra hot water with her black coffee and they would start offering it or bringing it without her even asking after the first 2 times.

Spa?
Yes, there's a spa attached to the hotel, it's just next door. I can highly recommend the Tibetan massage - it was restorative and relaxing. After driving from the Chinese border to Kathmandu, it was the first thing I did after dinner on our first night at the hotel, and it was professional, clean, and a high-quality treatment. The oils used were essential oils, they provided slippers, bathrobes & disposable undies. Think 5-star Bali treatments with perfect English :)
I had my birthday at the hotel, I didn't tell any staff on purpose, but blurted it out to the spa ladies after I paid for my treatment, and they got me a birthday cake (so sweet!) :) They then told the rest of the staff at the hotel and they all wished me a belated birthday the next day!

Tour Service?
Yep - hotel offers a tour service by the professional & knowledgeable Roji. If you don't have a pre-booked tour, suggest you chat to Roji to arrange drivers/ shuttle/ guide. We arranged a guide & driver for Lalitpur (also called Pratan) for the whole day. We also compared the price with guide/ drivers we found on our own at Bhaktapur & Kathmandu Hanuman-dhoka squares - about the same, so it was very reasonable, and great quality. Our guide was very educated (he was a professional guide who spoke English & French and continually does courses to update his knowledge - as most professional guides do).

As a last message, the staff all speak perfect English, are warm and professional and caring.

A shout-out to Roji, Mr. Prassad, Bikram, Dinesh, Rukess (he made the best omelettes!), Gopal, Krishna, Anil, Karma, Rajandra, T. Choten, and all the rest of the staff in restaurant, reception whose names I was not able to remember (apologies). You made our stay in Kathmandu so special, warm and we'll return to your hotel if we're ever back in Kathmandu!

Thanks / Dhanybad!

If you want a place that feels more like home, rest your feet here.

Room Tip: This area is really quiet, you won't get much street noise as it's back from the main road...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sydneypo
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
We sincerely appreciate you taking time to share your feedback and great review. Thank you for your encouraging words. Your praise has boosted us to work harder. We are thrilled to hear that you had a memorable experience with us. We will always try to exceed our guest expectation. Please let us know should you require anything apart from this. Thank you one more time for your kind review.
We look forward to serve you at Hotel Tibet soon!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Tibet and found this to be a real gem.The Hotel staff were extremely helpful beginning and ending with friendly greetings and service from the Doorman Ihakpa Sonam.The Rooms were very clean and comfortable.The Hotel is very quiet unlike most of the rest of Kathmandu.There is a Rooftop Bar that offers excellent views of the City with a good variety of drinks served by cheerful staff.I had to mail several large boxes and two of the Staff accompanied me to the local Fed Ex store and spent two hours helping me pack the boxes for shipping having also given me a ride to and from the store from the Hotel.

I rate this a 5 STAR when Service and Cleanliness are included

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Front of the Hotel offer a much better view than those on the back
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Bruce G,
I am pleased to hear that our effort to exceed expectation has been noticed and you were kind enough to share your memorable experience with us on trip adviser. We are very glad you enjoyed our hotel and its services. I personally passed your message to Lhakpa Sonam and rest of the staff. They were very happy to hear from you.
We look forward to serve you at Hotel Tibet soon!
Milan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice room, quite clean and decently sized. Breakfast is ok. The staff is extremely kind and helpful. Only negative aspect is the wi-fi, which is with fee and does not work properly in the room (you need to stay in the lobby).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BREADandBUTTERitaly
HotelTibet, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Tibet, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear BREADandBUTTERitaly,

Thank you for your feedback. As per your comments we have added more options to our breakfast to improve it from OK to excellent. Pardon us for the interruption in internet. We are trying our best to provide strong network all over the building. Thank you very much for your valuable time!