“Great boutique hotel with unfortunate downsides”

Kantipur Temple House
Ranked #19 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've just returned home from my fourth or fifth stay at Kantipur Temple House, indicating just how much I like this place. Over many brief business trips to Kathmandu, I have stayed at many different hotels, from extremely high quality and price (Dwarikas) down to backpacker hostels. But I keep returning to Kantipur Temple House because I love the vibrancy of the Thamel location, the friendliness of the hotel staff, and the beautiful architecture of the main buildings and grounds. It really is quite unique, and while not being rock bottom lodging, does offer exceptionally good quality, security, and value in that 3-star bracket.
The outside garden dining areas are beautiful, the front door and gate are manned by security staff 24 hours per day, yoga is offered in the garden in the morning, and recently the hotel has reduced the number of rooms, purchased and demolished a neighbouring building and has doubled the size of its grassed lawn. Kantipur Temple House also has a very strong mandate for sustainability, doing its best not to pollute or waste resources.

Coming into summer however, there are a few things that I find harder and harder to accept, and which make me question whether I will return or seek alternative accommodation on my next visit.
1. Lack of uninterrupted power. Due to insufficient power generation in Nepal, most of suburban Kathmandu suffers from power load shedding, with power being turned off throughout the city for up to 12 hours per day or more. I am a business traveller and need uninterrupted power, but due to its commitment to sustainability, Kantipur Temple House refuses to use a diesel generator to provide back up electricity during the power outages, as is provided in the other major hotels around the same price bracket. Battery power does keep a minimum number of lights going, but while the power is out, rooms get hot, wifi doesn't necessarily work, and it is impossible to use my laptop extensively before the battery is drained.
2. Lack of airconditioning. During the winter this isn't so much of a problem, but during the summer, the lack of airconditioning in rooms is energy sapping. A fan is provided in the room, but this isn't a ceiling fan, and when the power is off, so too is the fan. If you are coming in the summer, request a room on the internal courtyard away from the exterior walls, to avoid the heat.
3. Difficulty of access. Kantipur Temple House is on a small alley off Jyartha Marg in Thamel. This narrow lane is tight at the best of times, but in the last year there has been a lot of accommodation building going on around KTH, and the narrow lane gets more and more difficult to navigate, even in the tiny Kathmandu taxis. I worry that this will only get worse as the new hotels are completed and competing for space.

I suggest to the hotel that in order to stay sustainable and non-polluting, if they won't use a diesel generator to provide continuous power due to its environmental pollution, then perhaps they could put solar power panels onto their roof terrace, which is no longer utilised by guests. Even if only a small number of rooms (preferably on lower floors) were initially provided with airconditioning, and continuous power and wifi (and priced as "executive rooms") and other rooms gradually added, then this would greatly assist those guests who wish to use the hotel for business, rather than just a tourist or trekking stay. Just a suggestion.

Room Tip: Internal room to beat the summer heat
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Brett M

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was our 2nd time in Kathmandu and our 2nd time at this hotel. We love the traditional Nepalese decor, the stellar service, the wonderful breakfast buffet (try the buckwheat bread with honey!), and the general peaceful atmosphere of this little safe haven in the midst of such a chaotic city. We stayed in a deluxe room which had wooden beams on the ceiling, brick walls and a view over the interior garden. If we ever come to Kathmandu, this is the only hotel we'll stay at.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Kantipur Temple House features a heritage Newari building with authentic interior to match. The result is a fabulous atmospheric place. Yet it comes with the comfort you would expect in hotel in its price range. I stayed in the hotel for a period of 2 weeks. My room was spotless, comfortable, and very clean. In fact the house keeping is of that high quality found in five stars international hotels. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant. The hotel is superbly located in a back alley in the heart of Thamel. It is a calm safe oasis just a few minutes walk from chaotic Thamel. In fact it is just 20 minutes walk to the world heritage Katmandu durbar square. The hotel team was caring, warm, and responsive. But above all I would to mention the personal care by the hotel manager Mr. Digambar. He did his best effort to provide me my preferable room in a busy period in which the hotel was practically at full occupancy. Moreover, Mr. Digambar offered me the opportunity to get insight into the local community and its tradition. He took me on one occasion to a very interesting walking tour in the surrounding neighbourhoods. In another occasion he took me to see a local ceremony signifying the passage of children into adulthood. That was a authentic experience which you would not find in guide books. In summary, under Mr. Digambar management Kantipur Temple House provides a memorable experience which goes well above of good accommodation.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I highly recommend this hotel. The location is perfect - right in the heart of Thamel (although it is down a rubbly side street). The design of the hotel is beautiful, very 'traditional' Nepalese style. Our room was nicely decorated. It has a beautiful outside area for eating breakfast, or relaxing. Staff are all nice. Prepare yourself that in Nepal there is limited electricity, so don't expect TVs or hairdryers in the rooms.

It offers yoga every morning at 8am, it was done on the roof when I was there, very nice way to start the day.

It may be a little more expensive than other hotels, but is is definitely worth it if you're not on a budget.

It is used by European tourist groups.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very expensive compared to other hotel in Thamel. Well I stayed 02 nights but later I moved to another hotel in Thamel. Well the front desk staff, Mr Suman was more than good enough to arrange and provide free information and helped us to arrange taxi and every thing in very affordable price.
Paying more than $100 for a night doesn't make you happy as their are lots of good hotel in Thamel in half prices with same amenities and facilities.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel was one of the more pleasant that we stayed in while Nepal. It was cute and gave a good vibe. Though the bed maybe wasn't a large enough for a Western man per say, the safety and security levels, cleanliness level, staff helpfulness level, and amenities were all sufficient to give it an average rating on a world scale. I wouldn't mind staying there if I am ever in Kathmandu again. I cannot say the same for other hotels in the area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CWEB11235
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This review is a bit late by more than a year, I just realized that I have not written one for this hotel and I believe it deserves one. We stayed at the hotel in December 2012, winter time with power shedding. Generally, I was happy with our stay. The hotel is clean, not to mention the beautiful Newari architecture of the building. The rooms are large, we had a sitting area and seating by the window. The bed is big, and comfortable and they had hot pillow bottles that kept the blankets warm enough for the cold winter night. The bathroom is of good size and has hot water (which is very very valuable and hard to find in the other hotels we stayed outside of KTM).

The hotel is environment friendly so you will not find plastic bottles or cups, their water is served in brass pitcher which I think makes the Nepal experience “authentic”.

Our hotel rate didn’t come with breakfast but we took it at the hotel’s restaurant. They served Nepali food which we found to be good and okay, but of course you can have something similar at a much lower price outside.

The hotel is located in a quieter area of Thamel, about 2 blocks walk. It’s not a very “scenic” walk and some parts are dark at night. But in the road where the hotel is, they already have security guards which made us feel safe especially when returning in the evening. The hotel has a very beautiful garden where it is good to just relax or have some tea.

We had one bad incident with them where they failed to pick us up at the airport on arrival. It was part of the hotel rate and we waited for about 30 minutes. It was late night and we worried that we might just get ripped off or get into danger (eventually, we realized that this was baseless, KTM was peaceful and people were kind). We finally ended up getting a very old taxi which thankfully still managed to bring us to the hotel in the middle of the night. When I brought this up to the front desk, they were not very apologetic and even argued with me that they had sent a car. Anyway, I insisted that I will just talk to the manager the next day. We eventually agreed that to make up for the mess-up, they will bring us to airport when we fly out (hotel rate only included 1-way free pick up service), but not after I kept following up the front desk everyday. Other that this, I find everything in our hotel to still be very good and pleasant. The other hotel staff were also very courteous and ready to help.

Another good point is they allowed us to leave our luggage for free for 4 nights when we went to Chitwan. We stayed again at the hotel for our last night in KTM.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple