“Great staff, relaxing atmosphere”

Shambaling Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, relaxing atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights after a trek. Really good welcome, staff excellent on front desk and everywhere else. Did not try the restaurant except for breakfast, but that was very good. Check out the cocktails! They do a mean Mojito. Good shower, lovely room. Great location for walking to Boudinath especially once you know the short cut! Two quibbles - the wifi was very slow even in reception and not available in room, packed breakfast snack box for early flight was disappointing. Very close to airport was a plus!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MattSt
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to write you review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our guest rooms as well as our hotel location.

I regret that you were not satisfied with our packed breakfast service and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. I have already addressed our Production team in order that corrective action can be taken.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Jigme Phuntsok Chodon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Lovely welcome, beautiful rooms, wonderful sleep. A wonderful welcome to kathmandu. The staff were attentive. Great bath room. Hair dryer too! Nice soap. Restaurant was fine. Beautiful garden. Breakfast was plentiful. Great pick up service from airport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ms. Helen,
Thank you for taking time to share you experience at Shambaling. It was our pleasure to have you at Shambaling. Our aim is to provide a high quality service and make our guest feel at home during your stay with us. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your you stay here.
We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in future.
Warm Regards,
GM
Pune, India
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Its a elegant place with warm and friendly staff that is very attentive to your expectations and very diligent about you having a comfortable stay and a personalized experience. They have a great restaurant too. Among other foods, we thoroughly enjoyed the Gyakok and the Nepali Thali. They took care of our special timings for breakfast due to travel itinerary. They took care of our special request for a quieter room too. Thanks Tenzing, Nirmala and Ravi! We will definitely come back next time for another peaceful stay. The Boudha Stupa is at walking distance, which we thought was another plus.

One of the things that is beyond their control really is that the last mile access road is dusty and bumpy. I hope Kathmandu municipality improves that soon. Also, maybe its just us, but we felt the rates were a tad pricier.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr. Atul,
Thank you very much for your very positive review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of your stay at Shambaling Boutique Hotel.

Our guests’ satisfaction is what motivates our team to keep on providing outstanding service and offering such personal attention to our guests. I will personally share your appraisal with my colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I only stayed at Shambaling for only one night, which was my last day and night of a month in Nepal. It was such a very pleasant surprise, and really the perfect end to my trip. This is a not an "in your face" kind of hotel, it is more of a subtle and understated buddhist elegance, if i can suggest such a thing, which for me was perfect. The feeling and ambience was calm and serene but with delightful little touches. One of those touches, was a Himalayan singing bowl in my room, which had a beautiful tone, and reverberated calmness throughout my room with each strike. A Himalayan singing bowl in my room is a first for me, and i'm quite a well travelled man.

I would like to leave my highest praise though for the staff at Shambaling Boutique Hotel. My every encounter with a member of staff a the hotel was warm, helpful, attentive, enthusiastic and with a feeling of genuine friendship. We live in a modern age of 'trained' customer service and smiles, which can often seem fake and efforted but not at Shambaling, i really felt a genuine interest to attend to me as a guest.

I have travelled many countries, for many years and stayed in hundreds of hotels. I have stayed in many many glamorous five star hotels but this is the first time that one left such an impression on me in one night. I can not rate this hotel highly enough. i did not want to leave this delightful place. Five stars from me!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mr. Shaw,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Shambaling Boutique Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments about service you received from our team as well as the interior of our guest rooms and especially the singing bowl.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

In my early 50s I have much travel experience from north/south America, Canada, most of Europe, west and north Africa, the India ocean, India and Nepal. This was my 9th visit to Nepal & the Shambaling is the best hotel I have stayed in. I stayed there for 10 nights, 3 before going to Bhutan and 7 after. All aspects of service were excellent with all levels of staff very helpful as well as professional and friendly. I had a recent shoulder injury prior to travel and the hotel arranged airport porterage for me on arrival / departure from Kathmandu airport as well as airport transfers in good quality vehicles with a high standard of driving. They obtained medication from a pharmacy for me as well as top ups for my mobile phone. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone and everything was taken care of enabling me to totally relax and enjoy my time there. My room - the Chakra Suite - was beautiful with picturesque views of the peaceful garden which has prayer flags hanging from the trees & a Bhudda beside the lovely patio / outside eating area. My room was spacious and absolutely spotless with fresh flowers on the coffee table. I also had a minibar, flat screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The bed was very comfortable with lovely bed linen. There was lashings of hot water for baths /showers and the hairdryer was useful. The hotel is a 10 minute interesting amble from the famous Bouddnath Stupa, thus benefiting from peace and quiet as Bouddanath itself is adorable, but it is not a quiet location. I love the Tibetan decor and traditions at the Shambaling such as the offering bowls in the garden filled with water and flowers every day. The waiter/ess and catering staff were endlessly patient with my regular challenging dietary requests. The food was delicious. The hotel Wifi was really useful for staying in touch with friends and family in Europe and Bhutan. The Shambaling is the first hotel outside Europe to be awarded with the SWISS-Q1 quality label. This is an excellent quality hotel to which I will definately return next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank julie h
Dear Julie,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It was our pleasure to have you Shambaling.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience of your stay at Shambaling. We appreciate your comment on our entire team and as well as the interior of the guest rooms and our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shambaling!

General Manger
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A friend and me stayed for two weeks. I can only repeat what 'Travelthewoldusa' said. Very charming, personal, everything is taken care of. Very nice room with very comfortable beds. We enjoyed every single day. We will definitely come back next time!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments on our guest rooms and our hospitality.

It was our pleasure to have you at Shambaling once again.

We look forward to welcoming you at Shambaling in near future.

Warm regards,

Jigme Phuntsok Chodon / Mrs.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Shambaling Hotel is a great place to stay, we stayed for 3N and the overall experience was good.
Good and clean rooms.
Staff are very helpful, polite & friendly.
Calm & peaceful ambiance.

The food is over priced in the hotel and also very less in variety.
Other than the above point (about food) we were happy that we choose to stay in Shambaling hotel.

Thank you .

Room Tip: Stayed in garden facing suite room, comfortable and nice.