“Another reason to be in the Boudha”

Shambaling Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Mumbai
“Another reason to be in the Boudha”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had not given my stay arrangements much of a thought when I went to Kathmandu this time. It was for work, pure work, so unlike the other times when I had always combined it with some 'Nepal' time. What I had assumed would just be a place to stay in the crowded Boudha turned out to be something completely different - very nicely and authentically done up, with attention even to the minute detail right from furniture to tapestry to the singling bowl placed in the room to the very ethnic appearing key-ring and the yummy Tibetan snack I no longer remember the name of but came home with a bagful of.
It's not a huge place, but the rooms are good sized, the green patch of lawn and the colourful flags soothing. Breakfast on the lawns was always an experience to cherish, the friendly yet unobtrusive service a bonus. As a vegetarian I found the spread somewhat limited but adequate. The place exuded a kind of detached warmth - I loved it.
A highlight was the proximity to the Boudha Stupa - and the thoughtfulness of the Shambaling team to give a tiny roadmap to it.
All in all, a place I can go to again and again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a garden-view room - that's what I talk about in my review. The other possibility I...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Ms. Aditi G,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you with us last spring. We appreciate your detailed review.

We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in near future.

Jigme Phuntsok Chodon / Mrs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This newly renovated hotel is a travellers' delight. It is situated away from the busy Kathmandu streets but only a couple of minutes from the heart of Thamel. The service is excellent with everyone from the cleaning staff to the owner brightening your day with a happy "Namaste". The restaurant staff are very competent and provide lovely fresh meals from an extensive menu. It is easy to relax here and the friendly atmosphere encourages interaction between the visitors and the staff. The decor is bright and the rooms are clean and well-furnished. We will certainly return to the shambling Boutique Hotel when next in Kathmandu.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
S0nam_Sherpa, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write your positive feed back. It was our pleasure to have you and your wife at Shambaling. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt at home and relaxed.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 31 July 2014

stayed here for 2 nights - a couple in our late 30's with our 4 year old son. The place is beautiful and the staff genuine and friendly without being too pushy or intrusive. Had dinner at the restaurant 2 nights - very very nice. Highly recommend this place for people with young children who want to have a break from the craziness of Thamel. Very close to the Stupa via lovely paved streets and walkways. Thank you Shambaling for looking after us.

Room Tip: we stayed in the "Kala" room and asked for a mattress on the floor for our 4 year old son...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dribble1
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It was indeed our pleasure to have your family at Shambaling. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt well taken care of. Thank you very much for the special line on our restaurant, i am glad you and your family enjoyed your dinner at our Lungata restaurant.

Genearl Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Tourism in Nepal is very much a developing industry. A boutique hotel in Kathmandu won't be anything like a boutique hotel in say, Bangkok or Delhi. However, what the Nepalis lack in swagger, they make up for in friendliness and spirit. The Shambaling is a simple hotel run well by friendly attentive staff.

I've stayed in the Shambaling hotel three times over the past 18 months, which is really saying something. Because I'm a fussy git.

The rooms are clean and well designed, the decor is easy on the eye, and there's a general warmth about the place. The restaurant has a pretty decent menu and if you get tired of that, there's plenty of suitable eateries close by.

Running a hotel in Kathmandu is no easy task. There's a lot of things to battle against. Power cuts, noise, traffic, and general lack of civic amenities to name a few. But the Shambaling manages to carve out a slice of calm amidst the chaos of the city. And for that, they should be applauded.

Areas for improvement would be, stronger WiFi, better lighting in some of the rooms, and pet dog would be nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking into the garden.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Sheridan F
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

It was indeed our pleasure to have you back at Shambaling. Thank you very much for taking time to write your feedback. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt at home.

We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in furture.

Perth
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel is in a very quiet location. One can walk 10 minutes to visit the big Boudhanath stuppa.
The hotel was empty and we were the only guests. They asked if we wanted to dine in and staff stayed to serve us. All the meals and drinks were all good. The staff in resto is very friendly. The restaurant is set in the garden. Nice/romantic. Sometimes outsiders come to dine here.
They picked us with a luxurious car from the airport to avoid hassles with taxi drivers; it was pricey. However if jetlagged this is the best solution.
The room was exactly as shown on their website. Nice furniture. Working shower and AC. during the night when there was a power cut they switch on the generator.
Beds are hard, but I travel with a lightweight inflatable mattress, (exped synmat) so that did not worry me.
This hotel is 15 minutes driving away from Thamel. Their street is under construction and very bumpy/muddy. Apart from the stuppa one always needs a taxi. They will happily call their taxi driver who is honest with his prices, but drives very slowly. Trip to Thamel 300 Ruppees. Take their business card to show to drivers on your return trip.

We did visit the Boudhanath stuppa toward 18 hrs. The narrow street leading towards this square was very vibrant. A mass of people were all circling around this stuppa. Very impressive. No entrance fee. Had drinks on one of the rooftop terraces. After 19 hrs. the whole area gets very quiet.
Later we revisited during the morning, but it was very quiet AND we had to pay an entrance fee.

If jetlagged this a good and quiet hotel to spend a few days.
I write also about hotel Manaslu next to Thamel, hotel Lakefront in Pokhara, Neeru guesthouse in Marpha and hotel Bob Marley in Muktinath (Mustang area).

Room Tip: Garden facing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your experience at Shambaling. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Warm regards,
Jigme Phuntso Chodon / Mrs.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great place, great service, so nice to have western amenities after a week trekking in the Himalayas.
- They sent someone to meet me as I wandered the Boudha Stupa on foot. It was so nice because I had bags and trying to find them in a town with no street signs would have proven challenging.
- The room was AMAZING!! Clean, calming, beautiful, large with a fabulous bed. The A/C worked and I was able to sleep comfortably for the first time in weeks!
- The bathroom was clean, the shower delightful
- The food at the restaurant was delicious
- The staff - amazingly helpful, very courteous
- I got an in-room massage and it was divine! Highly recommended!
- Yeah to free Wi-Fi!!
- It's a little off the beaten path in that it's about a 5-10 min walk from the Boudha Stupa, but with directions, easy enough to navigate

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Yvonne G
Jigme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your experience at Shambling and your positive feedback. The entire team is very happy to know that you enjoyed you stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you at Shambaling in near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was ready to love this hotel after reading the positive reviews here. It is a pleasant hotel with quality furnishings and the staff are friendly. My room on the top floor was large and clean, but had a strong odour of gas or sewage. I could have requested to change rooms - so that's a minor complaint.

The most unfortunate thing about my stay was that a bag went missing from my room. I was staying at the hotel for a week, but decided go away to Nagarkot for one night. Rather than packing up and checking out, I left my big suitcase and big toiletries bag which also had some jewellery in the front pocket, in the room, and told the reception that i was going away for one night (i had already paid for the whole week). I just took a small ziplock bag of toiletries with me, and an overnight bag of clothes. When I returned the next day the large toiletries bag (with jewellery) was no longer in the room.

"Why didn't you leave it in the safe?", I hear you ask.... Well, there wasn't a safe in the room, just lockers downstairs, and it wouldn't have been practical for me to leave my toiletries there, or the earrings and jewellery that I use everyday. None of the individual items were extremely valuable, but they added up to a significant amount and some had sentimental value

To be fair, the hotel supported me in reporting it to the police - but I was unable to get any resolution and have never received a police report, or even a letter from the hotel acknowledging that I made the report to them about the bag (not that it was stolen, but at least noting that I had reported it missing). Understandably, the hotel didn't want to accept any responsibility for the bag having gone missing and persistently suggested that I had left it elsewhere, which I am 100% certain that I didn't. It's possible that someone from outside broke in, as the bathroom window didn't have a lock - the toiletries bag was in the bathroom.

I am trying very hard to be fair here, as I think the staff are generally very nice (this is partly why it has taken me a long time to decide to write this review), but also want to be honest about my experience. I hope that some answers have been found about this issue, and also that no other similar incidents have occurred since - I'm sure they haven't. I do wish success for this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am happy to know that you liked our Hotel and our services and staffs. I wish you had informed us about the odour in your room during your stay with us, we would have changed your room immediately so you would not have to go through the inconvenience.

It was our pleasure to be able to help you report regarding your missing toiletries bag with the Nepal tourist police as well as the local area police. We also requested the local police for a quick investigation and wanted to have the report you wanted as soon as possible, however due to the many pending cases before your case, its taking longer than expected. As we had informed you before leaving that it will take time, we have followed up with the police after you left as well but did not get any response.

As you have mentioned that someone might have broken in through the toilet window, it’s very unlikely that someone could climb up four floors without any support from outside on a straight wall.

We strictly investigated with our House Keeping staffs who were on duty for the first three days you were here prior to leaving for Nagarkot. And, the reason why we asked you again and again is that, none of the housekeeping staffs saw the bag in your room as well as in the bathroom where you mentioned you hanged it. Secondly, because you had earlier forgotten your laptop in your taxi and your phone in Nagarkot Hotel, we were of the thought that you may have left it somewhere outside the hotel. We floated the picture of your bag in all the departments and had a strict checking in every possible place of the hotel premises for similar looking bag and shampoo brands or other container with brands that you had mentioned but we could not find any. With our security checks, it is not possible for any staffs to take these things outside the hotel gate.
We have had many cases when guest left their digital camera, smart phones, chargers or clothes or shoes in their room but they were always returned or sent back to their addresses after informing our guest.

This is the first such case at Shambaling and we sincerely hope will be the last one too.

I am very sorry about your missing toiletries bag (backpack) and all the jewelries that was inside it. Please accept my apologies for not being able to give you a letter as it is already registered with the police. We will follow up with your case and will send you a police report as soon as it is ready.

Thank you for your best wishes.

Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance.