“The best people, food and location.”
Review of Shree Lal Inn

Shree Lal Inn
Ranked #159 of 433 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“The best people, food and location.”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have stayed here on two separate occasions and have been both delighted with the friendliness of the staff and the family who runs this small family business.
The rooms are basic and I stayed in the dormitory room which for me suffices and is good for a short stay in Kathmandu.
What really makes this place special is the traditional and authentic Nepalese atmosphere.

The vegetarian restaurant here is outstanding and cooks fresh, delicious and relatively health food. This is obvious when you notice the amount of locals who visit the restaurant every evening. Faced with one choice, you have to try the Thali. It's the best Thali i've ever had.

Anyway, big thank you to the family here and I will definitely be back next season.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My stay was one word (three times): Lovely, lovely, and lovely.

With nit-picky standards, many of us westerners may be over critical and turned off by Shree Lal’s humble accommodations; however, considering many of us are guilty for spending more on our coffee drinks (we American’s love our Venti Soy Caramel Frappacino’s with extra whipped cream) than the beautiful people at Shree Lal charge for a single room, I find that accommodations are a splendid value.

Shree Lal is an ideal hotel for budget travels who realize that they are not in Kansas anymore, and that the ancient city is nothing like Raiders of the Lost Ark* makes it look like. It is located in the heart of Thamel (Kathmandu’s tourist-topia), and if you’re not as sassy and feisty as Marion Ravenwood (you haven’t b-slapped any archeologist/action hero’s to date), Shree Lal will prove to be a safe haven in a city where, especially after night falls, the ratio of floral creepers to human ones is 1:2. The rooms are dim (I had a room with no outside facing windows), yet very clean and comfortable. The toilets aren’t porcelain thrones, yet the plumbing is in well enough order to successfully dispose the once beautiful plate of momos you ate a couple hours earlier, which, after escaping your intestines and being birthed from your trembling bowels, has reincarnated into new, unfamiliar, solid, semi-solid or (god forbid) liquid form. *note: the digestive marathon Kathmandu may contest you with may be one cruel one. I was blessed with no such trouble, however those less fortunate will find the people of Shree Lal happy to guide/provide you with any medical attention you require (B.M related or otherwise).

You’ll find that there is hot water if you ask for it, and an equally warm, hospitable atmosphere around every corner, something that can be very difficult to find in this city. I highly recommend this place to any traveler who is looking for adventure more than a vacation. Their restaurant is 100% vegetarian, and just as purely delicious. Great Food. Comfortable Beds. Functional Bathroom. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

*If you haven’t seen any of the Indiana Jones films, please watch them. They’re fantastic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank El0helay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This hotel is very dark and dingy, and not very clean. They have a sign outside saying they're listed in the Lonely Planet, but this is a lie. There is no mention of either the restaurant or the hotel in my current edition.

The dorm room had no working light, making it difficult to see what you were doing even in the middle of the day, and the door was left open all the time with no locker facility. So I switched to a single room, hoping it would be better. It smelt strongly of damp. When I was staying (February) is gets pretty cold at night, but the room I was in had no glass in the window. There was only a single lumpy blanket and sheet on the bed, and I was so cold even with the addition of my sleeping bag and liner, I barely got any sleep at all.

The flush in the toilet didn't work (you had to open the top of the toilet and reach inside), and the power socket provided no power and was literally hanging off the wall. The sink seemed to be covered in some kind of grit, the plug was just a rusty hole in the wall, and the shower only gave hot water in erratic 15 second bursts.

It was so grim I left later he first night despite having booked three nights initially. The staff at least were nice about it, friendly and apologetic, and even offered me a discount, which was appreciated. I found a hotel around the corner with a much nicer room for a lower price.

Room Tip: Be sure to view the room before committing. Avoid the dorms and rooms on the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thane, India
Reviewed 10 January 2014

its paradise for vegetarians .. good test of food.. homely environment ..
I enjoyed food for 3-4 days as it was good experience.. go for it if u r in thamel region..
Ambiance was not great but comfortable enough

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at Shree Lal Inn before and after our hiking trip in October 2013. Throughout our stay the owners and staff were magnificent. When we needed urgent photographs taken, they didn't just tell us where to go, they took us there, ordered the photographer to take the shots asap and then put us in a taxi and told the driver to take us where we had to go next.

This is the measure of their helpfulness. They go beyond what is required.

They were also able to hold our luggage while we were hiking and keep our laptops secure too. In our opinion, they are very trustworthy.

The hotel has a great vegetarian restaurant downstairs and the girls on reception & waiters are all adorable.

The quality of the hotel was good - this is Nepal though so don't expect too much. The hot water was intermittent and rooms are okay, but we had stayed one night at another hotel which was twice the price and the quality of the room was the same. In Kathmandu most hotels are the same unless you want to pay big money.

Everything was clean and perfect for our stay. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ufa, Russia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Good rooms for a good price. Delicious veg cuisine (we aren't veg). Very friendly staff. If you need a motorcycle on hire they know good place with it. Do not forget to check the plug sockets at checking-in.

Room Tip: Lower floors are warmer. Check the plug sockets.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Shre lal is one of the best places I stayed in during my travelling. It's family run, clean and so friendly. Family is always making sure you're all right and pleased with your stay, the boys in the restaurant are lovely and the food is absolutely incredible. I'm coming back to Kathmandu very soon and it will be the only place to stay in. And even though it is in busy thamel, somehow you don't feel it. and because of thamel, it's a perfect location to get everywhere. I miss you a lot but in few months I'll see you again!
Olga

Room Tip: The dorm is very well priced but quite dark, just upgrade to a room, they even put tv's in now !
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo