“Fantastic staff!”
Review of Shree Lal Inn

Shree Lal Inn
Ranked #186 of 455 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Sabina was able to organize all our day tours including our 4 day Ghorepani-Poon Hill trek for a great price. Really enjoyed staying here, location and attached restaurant are great! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Shree Lal Inn

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Very handy and central location in Thamel. Friendly owners and outstanding Indian food. You'll have to try the Masala Dosa for breakfast.
Our twin room with ensuite was okay - nothing flash - a bit smelly.
For the price you probably can't expect a lot better than that in Kathmandu.
We'd stay there again for the warm vibe and the food.

Room Tip: Kathmandu is noisy. Our room faced a courtyard, but we still could hear the noises out of the lane...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed in total about 8 days at the Shree Lal Inn. This place has a very central location on one of the main tourist streets in Kathmandu. Rooms are located at the back, so you don't have any disturbance of noise. The rooms are fine, although a bit small. There is hot water, but this is not always reliable. What makes this place different from others is the very good attached (vegetarian only) restaurant and the very friendly and helpfull staff. Prices are also pretty low.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Friendly,centraly located
I am staying heir for the second time,the staff is so nice ,the owners will to anything you ask for
The price is reasenapple .I asked for a TV ,no proplem ,NO extra charge.They stored my extra bag when I went trekking,"no charge" taxi to the airport very reasenapple I came back early and desited to stay the rest of my trip {more then 2 weeks} It is centrally located and many trips can be made by bus easally,Bhaktapur tomorrow only 30 rupee with the owners help and advise
I see many locals in the vegetarian restaurand ,must be GOOD and it is reasenapple
I will be back

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, our decision was based around it being in a good location in the town centre and there is a vegetarian restaurant downstairs which is open morning til night. The food is excellent, they also do good lemon teas and lassies. The only thing we didnt really enjoy was the coffee but I think you have to look pretty hard to find good coffee in Nepal, perhaps we have been spoiled by our recent visit to Vietnam.

The rooms were of a reasonable size, there was a private bathroom with a toilet that flushed (sort of) and a shower that gave warm water in the afternoons but no other time. There is free wifi which will work well enough to help you stay in touch with friends and plan your next steps but dont count on it to stream tv or anything.

The bed was hard, but in a good way, it did wonders for my back since I had been sleeping on beds that were far to soft in Thailand and it was ruining my posture.

Once again, staff were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a few nights stay and wanting some good vegetarian food without having to search to find it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have stayed here on two separate occasions and have been both delighted with the friendliness of the staff and the family who runs this small family business.
The rooms are basic and I stayed in the dormitory room which for me suffices and is good for a short stay in Kathmandu.
What really makes this place special is the traditional and authentic Nepalese atmosphere.

The vegetarian restaurant here is outstanding and cooks fresh, delicious and relatively health food. This is obvious when you notice the amount of locals who visit the restaurant every evening. Faced with one choice, you have to try the Thali. It's the best Thali i've ever had.

Anyway, big thank you to the family here and I will definitely be back next season.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My stay was one word (three times): Lovely, lovely, and lovely.

With nit-picky standards, many of us westerners may be over critical and turned off by Shree Lal’s humble accommodations; however, considering many of us are guilty for spending more on our coffee drinks (we American’s love our Venti Soy Caramel Frappacino’s with extra whipped cream) than the beautiful people at Shree Lal charge for a single room, I find that accommodations are a splendid value.

Shree Lal is an ideal hotel for budget travels who realize that they are not in Kansas anymore, and that the ancient city is nothing like Raiders of the Lost Ark* makes it look like. It is located in the heart of Thamel (Kathmandu’s tourist-topia), and if you’re not as sassy and feisty as Marion Ravenwood (you haven’t b-slapped any archeologist/action hero’s to date), Shree Lal will prove to be a safe haven in a city where, especially after night falls, the ratio of floral creepers to human ones is 1:2. The rooms are dim (I had a room with no outside facing windows), yet very clean and comfortable. The toilets aren’t porcelain thrones, yet the plumbing is in well enough order to successfully dispose the once beautiful plate of momos you ate a couple hours earlier, which, after escaping your intestines and being birthed from your trembling bowels, has reincarnated into new, unfamiliar, solid, semi-solid or (god forbid) liquid form. *note: the digestive marathon Kathmandu may contest you with may be one cruel one. I was blessed with no such trouble, however those less fortunate will find the people of Shree Lal happy to guide/provide you with any medical attention you require (B.M related or otherwise).

You’ll find that there is hot water if you ask for it, and an equally warm, hospitable atmosphere around every corner, something that can be very difficult to find in this city. I highly recommend this place to any traveler who is looking for adventure more than a vacation. Their restaurant is 100% vegetarian, and just as purely delicious. Great Food. Comfortable Beds. Functional Bathroom. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

*If you haven’t seen any of the Indiana Jones films, please watch them. They’re fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo