Grand Hotel Kathmandu
Agoda.com
US$134
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsmaharaja restaurantthe ground floor restauranttop floorroom servicenice hotelthoroughly enjoyed my stayfront officeswimming poolrestaurant staffpeaceful staywelcome drinkbuffet breakfastrooms are cleanrooftop restaurantghazaltouristpashmina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This was my first stop in a Buddhist pilgrimage to Nepal and India, so did not know quite what to expect initially. On hindsight, the Kathmandu Grand Hotel turned out to among the better ones that I had stayed in over the 2 weeks...certainly, it is not the last name in luxury, but things worked the way they were supposed to, i.e. electrical sockets are functional, hot water was consistent, room was clean (something which is not always the case in the other hotels I had stayed in subsequently).

This being a tourist class hotel, the cafe tends to be full during breakfast - which was also nothing to shout about. Ironically the other hotels that I had stayed in subsequently - albeit less desirable in terms of room quality - had served better food.

I had stayed in a single room for a total of 2 nights, with no complaints. Service staff were among the better ones that I had encountered during the trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Rajiv D, General Manager at Grand Hotel Kathmandu, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear Guest

Namaste from Nnepal and Grand Hotel.

Thank you very much for your comments.

It is with comments such as yours that makes us strive harder for perfection and I assure you that all efforts shall be made to achieve that goal of perfection.

I trust that your trip to Nepal and was memorable and that we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Best regards

Rajiv

Reviewed 26 November 2012

An overall good hotel and food is good, especially the Briyani rice with mutton (from the ala carte menu). Exception was I had to open the window when I was in my room to allow cool air into the room as the air-con emits warm air. Not too sure if the hotel has switched to heater system as the weather is turning cool. Didn't bother to check with the hotel, as I was comfortable with the window opened, except for some disruption to my sleep at night due to dogs barking outside the hotel.
Although this hotel may be away from the shopping area, Thamel, one could easily shop for souvenirs at some shops within walking distance outside the hotel. The best time to go would be just when the shops opened (around 9am), as the owner is prepared to offer the items at attractive prices (lower than the price quoted the evening before), hoping to close the very first sale for the day.
There are also a few groceries shops nearby where one could buy bottled water.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank diizzee
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent as it is away from the busy and dusty roads of KTM. Stayed 3 nights. Amenities are basic but no complaints. On one night water supply to shower was intermiddent but other nights were fine. The only issue is there were dogs playing in front of the hotel (my room was facing a residential area) in the middle of the night and their barking kept me and companion awake for 1 hr at 3am. Staff was friendly and helpful. We tipped staff who helped us with our luggages.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eleen C
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This is a quality hotel in Kathmandu. The rooms are large and clean, the toilet sparkling and room service above par. Location of the hotel is not too good but once inside you will not want to go out. I stayed there for three days cause my flight got cancelled cause of flash strike in the city. The staff were very friendly and helpful through out. No complaints !!!

Room Tip: The north facing rooms are preferred
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2012

What the hotel lacks in looks makes up with their good service... check-in was speedy and bell boys were quick to deliver our bags the rooms. Our rooms were clean (some tiles were loose / dirty) but overall it's not too bad for an overnight stay. No free WIFI (Rps 650 for 24-hour usage). There are some boutiques and shops inside the hotel's compound but if you're willing to venture outside there are plenty more within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends