“Great place to stay near the Stupa!”
Review of Rokpa Guest House

and 1 more site!
Rokpa Guest House
Ranked #12 of 466 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I love Rokpa Guesthouse. It's clean and the restaurant is great. There's no a/c, as is the case with most of Kathmandu, but the rooms have ceiling fans. They have wifi all the time, even during load shedding. They also always have hot water. The staff keep the hallways, garden, and restaurant sparkling clean. They are always ready to talk to you and help you with anything. It's located next door to Szechen Monastery, so it is right by the Boudha Stupa.

The best part about staying at Rokpa is that the proceeds fund the orphanage, located two buildings away. About 60 former street children live there. There is also a women's workshop that makes handicrafts. It's great to stay in a nice place and know that your being there helps people who need it.

Room Tip: The deluxe room has a bedroom and a sitting room with a desk, two chairs and a small table, plus a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Ramu2013, Manager at Rokpa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. ROKPA is a charity organization and the guest house is a part of this organization which helps support children's home in Nepal.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at ROKPA Guest House and we appreciate your comment on our staff,Garden and very close distance to the Boudhanath stupa.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at ROKPA Guest House in near future.
Ramu

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I absolutely loved staying at this guest house in Boudha (Kathmandu). It was a serene place to stay in the midst of the typical chaos of Kathmandu. There is a beautiful courtyard as well as a beautiful interior. I was thrilled to find a library of books left by previous guests. This was helpful since I had left my Lonely Planet on the plane!

The manager, Ramu, and staff were always incredibly helpful. The food from the cafe was some of the best I had in Nepal! If I could review that separately, I would! It is very close to the stupa, one of the most holy places for Buddhists, and I really enjoyed going there in the mornings and evenings to soak up the awesome energy.

Traveling as a solo female, I always felt safe at this place, especially with a second floor room.

The ROKPA organization is doing great work and by staying here, you help support the Children's Home and Women's Workshop next door.

I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank oracle_blue
Ramu2013, Manager at Rokpa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your time to share your experience at ROKPA Guest House,Our entire team is very happy to see your such a nice comment.We are glad you enjoyed your stay at ROKPA Guest House.We are looking forward to welcome you and your guest at ROKPA Guest House.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Rokpa Guesthouse for a month and had a great experience. The entire staff was excellent and went above and beyond what I expected. They were extremely pleasant and even helped me accomplish things during business trip there that I wouldn't normally expect from the staff of a guesthouse/hotel. The food at the guesthouse was also excellent and was as good as or better then the food from the local restaurants. Because of this, I ate a majority of my meals at the guesthouse despite there being some good restaurants in that area.

Overall, it is a great place to stay and I have no complaints.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr.Trevor,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments on our services and food quality as well as food.
We are very pleased we are able to give you better service beyond your expectation.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at ROKPA Guest House.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

First of all apologies for the delay in writing this, I stayed in Rokpa Guest House in March this year. I have never been to Nepal before so I was looking for a quiet, clean place to stay for my 2 weeks in Kathmandu.

I was so impressed with the friendliness of all the staff there but also the way they made me feel at home, they really couldn't have been more helpful.

The rooms were basic but clean and spacious and the garden more than made up for not having the luxuries that you might be used to in other countries.

The guest house was close to restaurants and the famous bodnath stupa. My personal favourite restaurant was Flavor's beside the stupa itself.

All in all a great 2 weeks and a place I hope to return to!

Thanks

Marie :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mariekennedy08
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We didn't stay here, wish we had! They've just redecorated and the rooms are beautiful and very reasonable. We had lunch in their garden which was exquisite. We had a tour of the Childrens' Home which this hotel supports and what a happy place it was. They help school, feed and love these kids who can go on to help in the Guesthouse or Restaurant when they get older. There is also a Fairtrade Women's Workshop that you can visit and buy some beautiful gifts. They also do a soup kitchen each winter to help the poor of Kathmandu survive. This place is a must if visiting Kathmandu, it's in a safe area very near to the greatest Stupa Boudha, forget Thamel this is the place to be!

Room Tip: There are some lovely deluxe rooms if you want to treat yourself.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have long since outgrown backpacker Kathmandu, but continue to come every year. So I have stayed in a number of nice guest houses with great staff. ROKPA has set the bar a bit higher these days. It has all the requirements, location, staff, hot water, wi fi.
Add to that you have the best coffee in Boudha and terrific food served in their hidden away garden.
Staying a long stay has been wonderful to have a quite place to return too in the evening.
Cannot recommend it enough and the garden awaits you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I can highly recommend this Guest House for anyone, who wants to stay in a quiet and peacefull place.
The garden is wonderful and we enjoyed every morning sitting there for the very delicious breakfast!
The rooms are comfortable, the shower is hot and most importantly the staff is very friendly and let's you feel very much welcome.
Finally the work that ROKPA (www.rokpa.org) is doing to help less fortunate people around the globe looks very good and trustworthy and so you are contributing to it with a stay at their guest house. Wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family