“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #50 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
Beijing, China
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Even the hotel is located in the busist area of Thamel, but it stands in a quiet lane, so around hotel is very quiet. Near hotel, you can find restraunts, shops, & about 10-15 minutes walking to Green Line bus parking to go Pokhara or Chitwan.The room is equipped with air conditioner, bath room has tube & enough hot water. The king size twin bed is comfortable. All the staffs are very friendly to the guests. Hotel provides different style delicious breakfast. We stayed at this hotel total four nights when we arrived in Kathmandu & after we back from Pokhara. The hotel is highly recommended one.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DLM5601

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warsaw
Reviewed 29 December 2012

A perfect place to stay in Kathmandu, Hotel Thamel is fabulously located in the center of the busy and colorful Thamel district. The travelers area, just a stone throne from the hotel, is full of shops, cafes, bars, restaurants and small travel agencies. Yet, the hotel is surprisingly quiet. It's clean and comfortable, but, most of all, it is run by wonderful people. Thanks guys for the warm welcome and all your help with visiting, traveling outside of Kathmandu, city tips etc. The reception desk is super friendly and able to assist with booking, tours, travel and any problem you may have. It is a really cool place, with good vibes, ideal for trekkers and backpackers.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Agatheblues
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 December 2012

The hotel staffs were very friendly and the amenities provided were good enough. Suggest to get a tour arranged by the hotel itself as the tour provided is safe and convenient. Bravo to Thamel Hotel. Location of the hotel is good; around Thamel area where lots of bazaars available.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 December 2012

a while ago we stayed 10 days in this clean and confortable hotel. We have enjoyed it a lot! It has a perfect location, the room are good and the service is the best. The staff was just great. They were helpfull and super friendly. The hotelmanager arranged some trips for us and showed us around thamel. nice nepali tea.
if we would hopefully visit kathmandu again, I know were we would stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 14 December 2012

If you are going to Nepal and staying in Thamel, go to Hotel Thamel. I have stayed at other places and there isn't a better place for the people, price and location. The hotel is in Thamel but off the main road which means it is quiet in the daytime. There are shops around the corner for SIM cards or recharging your phone. If you go the opposite direction, there is shopping galore (if you are into that) and a good general grocery store about five or ten minutes walk from the hotel. Getting a taxi or rickshaw is convenient. I check with the desk for a estimate of the right price to pay for either mode of transport. Haggling the price is a ritual. Knowing what is the right price makes the process less stressful and maybe a little fun.

And the hotel itself has a nice home feel, not all like the plastic stuff that is typical in the US. They have a hotel-generator for the times the power-shedding kicks in. The rooms I have stayed in are always clean with fresh linen daily. The rates are good and most important, the people are very, very nice. I have stayed here for three times now, and each time has been excellent. I travel alone but have local friends to help me while traveling in the country. The first time in Nepal, I wanted to plan everything out in advance. Now, I go with a general plan and rely on the expertise of the manager, Anish, to sort out places to stay and how to get there. Sometimes it is better to get a driver, other times its better to fly. If I find out something noteworthy for Anish, I pass it on too. He can arrange anything. I definitely take advantage of the included breakfast with the room. The guys in the restaurant work hard to get folks in and out for their trips or just keep the coffee or tea going if the morning is made for leisure.

Everyone, from the guy at the door, the drivers, the housekeeping staff and, of course, the front desk folks are cordial, and go out of their way to help us travelers. For the times I have planned to be gone from the hotel for a while and save some money, I was able to keep my luggage securely stored there at the hotel until I returned. I have also kept the room while gone and have no concerns about the safety of my belongings in the room while gone. I am more comfortable in this hotel than I am at any local (US) hotels. The people working at Hotel Thamel care about the people visiting Nepal and staying at their hotel. Their smiles are really from their heart. It shows. I will always stay at Hotel Thamel when I am in Nepal.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I have been to Nepal Twice this year and have on both occasions stayed at Hotel Thamel. 1st was with a group. We had booked the hotel at late notice and was informed that the management will be able to organise our 5 day trip once there. The 5 days was packed with everything we could have done in 5 days, bungy jump, canyon swing, monkey temple and Everest flight..Transit to and from all the major tourist attractions within a moments notice. The Hotel is situated just off the main street of Thamel, away from the hustle n bustle but Literally 2-3 mins walk you are in the heart of it all. The rooms are very clean comfortable and spacious. Staff are awesome. Made me feel like i have been going for years, prematurely as we/i will only stay at Thamel Hotel in future:-) Great Hotel, Awesome staff, convenient location and will be going again Jan 2013.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both single and double on both sides of Hotel and have no issue to mentioned regard...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Refit B
London
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I really liked this Hotel, it is located in the very center of the Thamel area, everything is really close by. The service and staff is great, they treat you very nicely and are eager to help. I would undoubtably return to this hotel. They even helped me plan all of my everest trek.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo