“Good value, GREAT staff”

Hotel Encounter Nepal
Ranked #23 of 201 Hotels in Kathmandu
New York City, New York
“Good value, GREAT staff”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in the standard budget room. Everything was clean and comfortable. The food at the restaurant was the best I ate in Nepal! :D

It is very conveniently located in Thamel (they will arrange a free airport shuttle if you call in) which was a great help. The staff were warm and extremely helpful and made our trip memorable. Will definitely come back! :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Alia K
EncounterNepal, E-Commerce at Hotel Encounter Nepal, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Alia !

We are very glad that you had a really pleasant stay with us and we are very grateful to receive your feedback that overall we were being able to meet your expectation. I have forwarded this review to all those concerned and they all are so proud to hear about your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Encounter Nepal in the coming days.

Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was my fourth stay at Hotel Encounter Nepal (HEN). I have been blessed to travel all around the world, and all across Nepal and I must start by saying that the staff of HEN make me feel about as much at home as is possible.

I have now spent 2 months at this hotel (in 4 visits). Getting to know the staff including Badri, Hari, Dipen, & Subash has been a blessing. The staff here at HEN has gone out of their way to take care of me during each of my visits.

HEN is located right outside Thamel’s main thoroughfare. It offers a bit more solitude and quiet than most other hotels with the added benefit of being just a block away from the “tourist action”. If you have ever been to Vegas, this is like being a block off the strip (where you can sleep but still go and see things without hassle). When I first stayed here the hotel was under renovation. Each time I have come back I have noticed remarkable improvements in amenities and cleanliness. Regardless of what you need, the staff of HEN is quick to offer their help. I have stayed at several other hotels in the area and while the others where nice, HEN is the best of them all.

Once you find a place that is clean, secure, and helpful, you really don’t feel the need to continue looking. Thats the case for me. I will likely continue using HEN for each of my future visits. I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Rooms on the roof offer a little more peace and quiet if you don't mind the steps.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Michael H
Dhaka Division, Bangladesh
Reviewed 14 April 2014

What a amazing services provide by hotel encounter and the staff of hotels are all friendly and amazing ,they do have nice hospitality nice environment with nice room and fooding system they do have twenty four hrs seri vices with nice company I highly recommend this hotel encounter Nepal . Ones thanks encounter Nepal time and mr lama.......

7 Thank Shorifaa
Dear Shorifaa !

Thank you for writing such a detailed response about your stay on Trip Advisor. Your words are extremely encouraging for our team.Of course, it does not come easy. Customer Service is our focus and the guiding light in all our actions. I have forwarded this review to all those concerned specially Mr Lama and they all are so proud to hear about your review.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope that your memorable experience will bring you back here in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I am coming qith my friend in nepal for travel. When we arrive in nepal we find hotel encounter nepal by tripadvisor recommend. We have very nice time with hotel staff and family. The room are clean and 24/7 day hot water. Any way the manager are very friendly and good. We are chiting all the time. Any way i recommend hotel encounter nepal.

6 Thank BaHussain
Hello BaHussain !

We are very glad that you had a really pleasant stay with us and we are very grateful to receive your feedback that overall we were being able to meet your expectation. I have forwarded this review to all those concerned specially hotel manager and they all are so proud to hear about your review.

Thank you for recommending other traveler and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Encounter Nepal in the coming days.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed 2 nights here at Hotel Encounter during my stay in Nepal. The staff was very helpful, cheerful, and genuinely kind in helping me get the most out of my time and experience. I found out about the hotel through Himalayan Glacier (the company I booked my Everest trekking and Chitwan yours through) which I also highly recommend. The Grill restaurant at the Encounter is also great! The food is fantastic and so is the garden setting. Can't recommend staying here enough :)

8 Thank TGIFguide
Dear Jacqueline C !

Thank you for writing such a detailed response about your stay on Trip Advisor. Your words are extremely encouraging for our team.Of course, it does not come easy. Customer Service is our focus and the guiding light in all our actions. Great to know that you was recommeded by Himalayan Glacier company and you like our hotel, grill restaurant and overall food and our hospitality.

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us. We hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I went to Nepal and initially booked 2 nights in this hotel as a start. The hotel staff were friendly and very accomodating to all my needs. I went trekking through them and although I had a problem with my guide they sorted this out professionally. Unfortunately as a female alone they gave me a rather inexperienced guide which was also by comparrison, quite expensive. If you plan to do similar, my advice would be to sleep before you book your trek. I was bamboozled as soon as I arrived by a very gregarious and friendly Mr Lama and found I had handed over £1300.00 for my trek before I had even seen my room! I kicked myself after, you live and learn. As far as the hotel goes, all the staff were brilliant and so kind, my room on return from the trek was considerably nicer than the one at the start! The restaurant staff were lovely. The food is very good and the garden is a relaxing haven away from the hectic steets of Kathmandu!

Room Tip: Ask for the main hotel building. Dogs barking and cars beeping are a part of city life there, if you...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Victoria L
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel one night before and after a long trek of the Annapurna circuit. For $18 USD a night, it was a great value to have a private room with a hot shower in a "quiet" location (although quiet does not exist in Kathmandu!) in Thamel. It was away from the main "touristy" stretch of Thamel, which was nice. It was an easy walk to all of the restaurants and shopping of Thamel, though, which was great. The rooms...the bathroom was great...warm shower 24/7 was much appreciated in a city where that is hard to come by. The room was great value for the money, but the bed was hard as a rock and slightly smelled like cigarette smoke...but for $18 a night, I was fine with that! There was a lovely courtyard, which was peaceful to grab a drink or read a book. It was great to have a restaurant on site and the two meals I ordered there were delicious and were a great value. We had a late evening flight home one evening and the front desk staff was happy to store our luggage in a safe place free of charge. In addition, at the start of our trip, we arrived in the morning and the front desk staff was happy to let us check in early. That earns a thumbs up in my book. I would have given this hotel one more star, but the manager kept bothering me to write a review on Tripadvisor 24/7. I have never stayed at a hotel where the staff would not leave me alone about writing a review. I was on holiday and the last thing I wanted to think about was reviewing where I was staying. Bothersome. Would I stay here again? Yes because it is a great value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends