“The best garden of Thamel”

Hotel Encounter Nepal
Ranked #28 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Encounter is one of the nicest hotels in Thamel. It's hidden from the rush and noise of the Kathmandu craziness. Has a very nice garden, with lots of flowers and big evergreens, a place for butterflies and midafternoon refreshments.
I would strongly recommend Encounter to those who strive for an oasis in a big chaotic life of Kathmandu valley. Good prices, free wi-fi and friendly stuff, along with good food of the garden restaurant will leave you highly satisfied.

• Stayed: May 2010
3  Thank MNK38
There are newer reviews for Hotel Encounter Nepal

Reviewed 25 May 2010

I arrived at the airport and went to the stand that said Hotels. The guy behind the desk showed me pictures of a nice room with emergency back up lights. I paid for one night. i arrived at the Hotel, and I was given a dump of a room, with no emergency lighting. When i showed the Manager later no refund or deduction was offered. In fact i was told that i was lucky to have such a room. The food and drinks were expensive, in the Hotel restaurant. There is both the 23% service charge plus the 10% tax charge.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank Mouse074
Reviewed 25 May 2010

My dear friends, if you want to find a good place to stay in Kathmandu, I recommend you the Hotel Encounter, in the heart of the city, not far from many interesting places. We guests, like the not really noisy places, it is a quiet hotel with a very nice polite staff especcially Sujan, the very perfect hotelmanager, he is always ready to help you. Good tiny rooms, very good kitchen, nice garden and friendly staff. My husband and his friends spent 3 weeks in Nepal in April 2010, everything was perfectly organised, the staff gave them a lot of good advice how to manage the best trip. In the mountains they were very satisfied with the sherpa Shankar. They want to return to Kathmandu next year also even may be every year! Katalin Peter and friends

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank doktorkiss
Reviewed 15 April 2010

It was a good trip, and we all really enjoyed our stay in Encounter Nepal and the arrangements Mr Sujan made for us during our stay was excellent. Thanks to Sujan and his team. Also, extend my thanks to his Boss and his family.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank fgfdgdfg
EncounterNepal, owner at Hotel Encounter Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2010

Thank you so much for staying with us and visiting Nepal, you have such a great family and specially your children are cute. As you know our place is not high endfacilities but trying to possess the nepalies cultures and hospitatlity. From your suggestive suggestions and comments it always keep us higher and higher.

Reviewed 10 April 2010

I found this hotel ideally located for my four day trip to Kathmandu from Dubai. I could walk to all my preferred destinations such as pubs, museum and the local shops.
The hotel staff were superb and responded to my every need and even cooked my breakfast eggs and bacon to my receipe. Sajun, the front desk manager, sat down with me after I had breakfast and gave me ideas where to visit and also assisted me with plans and visa for my next trip which is to Tibet.
The staff confirmed my return flight to Dubai and provided transport for me to the airport.
I am a budget traveller, next time I go to Nepal (March 2011) I will be staying with my friends at the Encounter Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Jackleaskull
Reviewed 3 April 2010

First encounter with the hotel in 2003 ther after we have been back 4 times. This will without doubt asy how much we love the place. As we approach the hotel from the main road it doen't give you any impression about the place. Once you enter the court ward...the whole feeling changes.You are like in a different world, peaceful, quiet and very warm welcoming with the beautiful colourful flower court yard.You will be feeling very well at home.
This place is wonderful, lovely and friendly staffs, helpful and they make you feel at home.The service is excellant, room are spacious and clean.It is only a stone throw away from Thamel where all the shopping are located.
The dinning room provide a good 3 square meals and they are reasonable in price.There is also a trekking service where they can organise wahtever activities you want to do in Kathmandu.
With all that above where else you want to stay i Kathmandu but to be Home Away From Home.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kai L
Reviewed 31 March 2010

we arrived one evening and immediately felt at home. The fire and the staff were very welcoming. Our room had everything we needed and great views of the city. Very convenient for restaurants and shops. The hotel provided lots of information on local tourist attractions and maps of how to get there. Day trips and the treks could be booked from the hotel as well as international ticket bookings.

My kids had the time of their life and didn't want to leave. we all made friends and met other travellers we have stayed in touch with since. we will definitely go back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Dotlot
EncounterNepal, Owner at Hotel Encounter Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2010

Thank you so much for your experince review of Hotel Encounter Nepal. As a owner of this property, I am honor to you and your family who has given this oppertunity to share your experince with us. Yes! nothing is 100% perfect this world, but we continuously upgreading services, hospitality, aminities and infact the way our clients feel " Home Away From Home". We want to give you the best value for what you paid and Nealese Hospitalies with personalised service, this is only possible through your suggestive comments and suggestion. Thank you agian and I look forward to see your friends, family and fellow travellers who are willing to Visit this This Himalaya Country of Nepal. Thank you. SP