“The worst hotel in Nepal ever”
Review of Hotel Florid Nepal

Hotel Florid Nepal
Ranked #54 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
“The worst hotel in Nepal ever”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I read some reviews and decided to stay at this nightmare place but it was the worst experience I have ever had in all my journeys across Asia.

First the hotel staff did not want to change us any money (nepali rupees) to pay the taxi driver as we had only large nominals and they insisted we pay the taxi driver more than agreed with the driver.

Secondly the rooms are a disaster - dirty, loud, and dark.
There is no hot water and backup light in the room in case of often power cuts.

Thirdly the hotel is located in a noisy neighborhood.

The last point: it was very cold in the hotel (did not experience this in the other hotel we moved to)

On the plus side the breakfast was tasty, but If you decide for he option room + breakfast, you would be better off ordering the food separately.

The garden is nice, and the place is conveniently located but overall experience was very bad. We moved to a hotel just 200m away and it was so much better!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Travel_freak_europe
menkamirki, Manager at Hotel Florid Nepal, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
First and foremost, we are a budget hotel run by a family.We do not have a separate counter for exchange of money but we do provide Nepalese equivalents upon availability and request of our guests.The case mentioned is very exceptional.

Regarding power back ups, the hotel provides electricity through generator until 11 o'clock at night. It is however,not used during the day due to clear visibility.

As mentioned earlier, we are a budget hotel.We do not provide 24 hours running hot water service.

As for coldness at night, we provide quilts upon requests of our guests.So,coldness is manageable at Hotel Florid.

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Nepal was a big culture shock for my father and I but we ended up not wanting to leave. Hotel Florid has basic rooms with shower and toilet attached. It boasts cyber cafe and currency exchange which actually isn't true. The exchange bureau is down the street and there's an internet cafe opposite that doesn't serve food or drinks. What hotel florid does have is a beautiful garden, great food and drinks all very cheap, fantastic staff and WiFi which I could access from my room. The owner is very friendly and helpful and helped us to organise a flight over Everest through a local tour operator and a hiking trip which we truly enjoyed. A few other downfalls where the airport pickup, we were mobbed when we arrived at Kathmandu by taxi drivers but we dismissed them and stood round waiting for our pickup which didn't arrive. We ended up taking a taxi after a long wait. Lastly, I found myself locked out of the hotel on a few occasions, as they lock up really quite early. Although I was only over the road using the computer, I found myself having to bang on the shutters and waking up the staff to let me in at 11pm. Overall we did feel very at home there and well looked after even though we were only there for 5 days. All said, I'd definitely stay there again and recommend it. The people are just lovely, so hard working and happy. Sad to have left Nepal, what a place it is.

• Stayed December 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2012

First things first, this is not a luxury hotel. But for a budget hotel, I think this is one of the better ones I stayed at during my time in Nepal. I've stayed at other guest houses/hotels and paid more, for less quality than Hotel Florid.

Overall the rooms were very clean and well maintained (I could sleep without having to use my sleeping bag) and the owner and staff are very friendly and attentive.

Power outages are common (as it is for the rest of Nepal) and I think this affects the availability of hot water and WI-FI when the power is out which can be frustrating at times.

Its located in the middle of Thamel and a close walk to all the main cafes, shops and restaurants.

One of the things I liked the most was the affordability of their meals. The american breakfast and fried rice is really good and portions are generous - for almost half the price of the tourist restaurants in Thamel. well worth it.

Will definitely stay there again if I come back to Nepal.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric1205
hong kong
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Travellers beware: Kathmandu is cold at night and not every hotel has 24-hour hot water. This hotel is one of them. First the owner's wife came to our room who simply said no hot water. Then a young male staff came and said no power (but we still have lights). We asked him to find hot water for us. We desperately needed a shower after our excursion. We waited for nearly an hour. Finally we found the owner who said it's a budget hotel and they cannot guarantee hot water, blah blah blah. So we went to Cosmic Hotel right next door. The kind owner opened the store room for us and brought us 3 buckets of hot water with towels - for free! Recommend you to go to Cosmic which is cheaper with helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer n
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2012

My husband and I were in Nepal in October 2012 and stayed multiple times at Hotel Florid as we used Kathmandu as a base for other excursions. The owners and staff were very warm and welcoming without being too friendly or intrusive as some other hotels can be ( I talking about you Hotel Courtyard). The location of the hotel was great for exploring Thamel, the rooms were basic, clean and safe. The only downside was the street noise and the power outages but that can be said for any hotel in Kathmandu. Very good value for the room (less than half the price of neighboring Hotel Courtyard). We would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBug3919
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The hospitality of the owner, his family and staff is what you expect when you stay in Nepal. Nice and clean rooms and in a quiet street. This is where you want to stay in Kathmandu.
Ina and Marco (room 501)
Breda
The Netherlands

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mavadeli
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 15 October 2012

It has been most wonderful experience when I have stayed at "Hotel Florid' in Nepal. I was on pilgrimage there most recently. I am impressed with hospitality and kindness of the people who work at this hotel. The rooms have always been clean and bright. The food has always been fresh and tasty. I have had most interesting conversations with the staff as well as guests there. The hotel is owned by lovely Thali family. I would like to personally thank Chaman, who is the Managing Director of this hotel as well as Menuka, Bipim, Bishu and Meika. Thank you very much indeed for your warmth. Cheers!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo