“Quiet, good hotel to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Samsara Resort

Samsara Resort
Ranked #84 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Teplice, Czech Republic
“Quiet, good hotel to stay”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is very well located in the Thamel area but somehow "hidden" from tehmain street so we did not hear any noise except the one from the power genarator ( fortunately just time to time ). The room was clean, the window was facing pleasant inner yard garden. The bathroom was ok, with clean towels. The staff was friendly and assisting us whenever needed. The breakfast was sufficient. Not top, but ok quality and selection. Internet was available in the lobby. Simply all you need for a good two nights hotel stay in today's Kathmandu was provided. Just the price ( 55 $ ( night ) might be considered a bit too high.
However - we would come back next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Samsara-R-Hotel, Manager at Samsara Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your review on our property. We have glad that you enjoy your stay at Samsara Resort. We would like to welcome you in Samsara Resort again.Thanks once again for giving us oppertunity to serve you.

Webmaster and Team
Samsara Resort (Hotel)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hobart Tasmania
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

In the two years since my first visit, improvements have been made at Samsara. Flat screen TVs have arrived. The noisy top-floor building work has ceased. The restaurant area has been extended and a cocktail bar added. Samsara is a lovely oasis of tranquility, situated at the end of a laneway which provides peace and quiet from the hustle and bustle of Thamel. Even so, it's only a five-minute walk to the heart of Thamel's restaurant and shopping centre. Will be back!

• Stayed April 2014
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We were "dumped" at the Samsara Resort after the Kathmandu Guest House double booked our rooms. Fortunately, the staff bent over backwards to make our stay a pleasant experience. The Manager could not have been more accommodating, the room was clean and had everything we needed, decent towels (sometimes not easy to find in Kathmandu!!!), TV, bar fridge, hot water, firm beds etc. the staff were friendly and as it turns out in a GREAT BUT QUIET LOCATION.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel was booked by our hiking company. After a tough weeks trek we found it perfectly acceptable. The rooms are clean and the food and service are good.

It is also well placed in the 'Crazy' Thamel area, for any last minute presents.

Electric was turned off in rooms during day, but wifi is free and available downstairs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a nice hotel. Rooms are clean, all supplies were proper. Location is good or bad one can debate. This hotel is in Thamel, in the middle of a traditional market. So you can see lots of people all the time. If you are looking for a hotel in top of a hill mountain away from maddening crowd then this is not a good choice for you. However the hotel is inside an alley so once you are in the hotel you will not see the crowd or even hear too much noise. Also it has a nice garden in front of the hotel. so one can sit and relax under the sun. But while entering the hotel or coming out of it you may feel little skeptical. If you like people, local market, shopping then this is a fantabulous option for you. After whole day of sight seen you can come back to your hotel and start shopping. Plenty of good restaurant, good food also available around till late night. Sitting in a pub or hookah bar with live dance, Thamel has all the options available for all age groups.

Only one thing I didn't like about the restaurant is the unnecessary charges for their service in some area. I know there are taxes and other things need to be considered. However it is still costly. Like isd calls. I made few calls to India. They took 80 Nepali rupees for every minute. I enquired outside and came to know it is 10 Nepali rupees per minute. 8 times more for a minute is definitely not worth. Also the mineral water they served was 80 NPR outside it was 20 NPR. I feel keeping the food, water and phone bill everything else is good in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank subhajit g
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have stayed over there twice: one night before go to Pokhara and then when I returned from my trek.

It is a budget hotel but you gonna find everything you need. There're free wii-fi in the hotel, two computers with internet access in the lobby, the rooms are clean and comfortable. Also, the hotel has a restaurant if you don't want venture during the night in the surrounding alleys to find a restaurant. The staff was really friendly, helpful and kind, as all nepaleses who I have met.

My check out was at noon and my flight was 11pm and they let me keep all my luggage over there without charge during the day during my tour in the city. It was very kind.

The best point about this hotel is the location. It is in the heart of the Thamel's street market. You visit the whole market safely until late and then return to hotel walking.

Room Tip: If you need wii-fi don't get a room at the last floor. Over there the reception in pretty bad.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dai_Francis1
Samsara-R-Hotel, Manager at Samsara Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Guest, Greetings from Samsara Resort (Hotel). We are glad to know that you had wonderful stay at Our Hotel. We highly appreciate your review and it has encouraged us to be better and to deliver better services. We hope to see you soon in near future again. Thanks again for staying with us.

Webmaster and Team
Samsara Resort (Hotel)
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I really enjoyed staying here before and after trekking in the Himalayas. It is off the main drag of Thamel so noise isn't a problem. I found the best part of staying here was the kind staff that go out of their way to make sure you are happy. The guy running the show is extremely nice. He always took time to speak to me and ask how my vacation was going. The day I was leaving I had checked out around 12pm and tried to spend some time sightseeing before I left for the airport at 8pm. While I was sitting in the lobby around 6pm he asked me did I want some tea/coffee and he joined me and we chatted for a bit about Nepal. He then asked me for feedback on the hotel. To me, a hotel owner who makes him or herself personable is much more valued than the bed or the showerhead in the bathroom. I would stay at this hotel again because it was clean, good location, but mostly because I was treated as a valued guest.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo