It all depends on what you expect and with what you compare it.
This hotel provided us with everything we needed for our 10 day trip to Kathmandu. Trust us, we had business in Kathmandu, otherwise no sane person stays in Kathmandu for 10 days!
Our room, G5, was a suite...that was more of a slightly bigger room than a suite. For the price, it didn't really matter. The size was ok, with a double bed a sofa, a coffee table and a closet. The bathroom was rather book and had a normal toilet as well as a shower/bathtub.
This is our experience in detail:
- Clean. The cleaning ladies were on their hands and knees and it showed. Our room was and felt clean enough, even the bathroom. That was a huge bonus after full days in dirty Kathmandu.
- Safe. Although the alley down from the main road is very dark at night it never felt unsafe. The hotel itself didn't give us any reason to doubt their ethical standards and we felt quite ok with leaving our room unattended overnight as we went on a 24-hour trip.
- Location was ok. If you want a hotel in "downtown" Kathmandu close to Thamel (the tourist area) than this was fine. There is a "party venue" close-by that definitely disturbs the peace, but we didn't experience anything severe during our stay (mid feb). Lots of food places around, as well as the Thamel district with all its, ahem, charm.
What we didn't like:
- Although several emails verified that somebody would pick us up at the airport, no one did. If you are a first time visitor to Nepal, this can be very discomforting as the airport is rather chaotic and the "taxi drivers" outside the airport are pretty annoying. For us, it turned out ok but we have been here before. This was a major "fail" in our eyes. Others have had the same experience, although it might be better if you arrive during daytime hours.
- Yes, they had a "talk" with us about selling trekking packages and what not. Once they got the point that we weren't interested, they stopped.
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- We only had breakfast at the hotel but it was fine and didn't make us sick. Score!
- No hidden fees or tricks at checkout. Just paid for the breakfast, with receipts, and left.
Would we stay here again? Not sure. There is nothing wrong with the hotel but to be honest, we don't know if any hotel in Kathmandu leaves a "can't wait to get back" feeling. We also stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a night due to a cancelled flight...and although nice it also felt rather pathetic to be in a walled-in compound with huge metal gates. Seriously, we get that Kathmandu is a pit for most people, but come on! It's not Kabul.
So, if you pick this hotel you will get a safe and clean hotel with friendly staff and lots of hot water for the shower. That is truly a huge bonus. The Wifi is so-so and the generator that kicks in for electricity is loud...but hey, this is Kathmandu. What did you expect? Peace and quiet?
Just remember, NEVER use the public bathroom for non-guests!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Close to the heart of the popular Thamel area, but secluded enough to escape the noise, the Blue Horizon Hotel is the perfect place to unwind and take a break from the maddening crowds. The Blue Horizon is conveniently located near Thamel's famed shopping center, two major banks, an international library, a taxi stand, and the tourist bus depot -- the starting point for many Nepal adventures. Our rooftop garden and dining area offer enchanting views of the Mountains while blooming flowers surround you with their beauty. Need some relaxation? Come to the Blue Horizon's rooftop and enjoy a panoramic view of Kathmandu and mountain scenery. Our rooftop garden has been thoughtfully designed for your comfort and pleasure, whether you are dining or just relaxing. From here you can enjoy unobstructed views of monasteries in the valley and the surrounding hills, as well as the majestic Himalayas to the north while you wine and dine in natural splendor. Our friendly staff is here to assist you in arranging all of your holiday adventures. Just ask! Hotel Blue Horizon is located very close to the main Thamel area but enough to escape the noise of night life, bars and discos. It is located in peaceful residential area with Buddhist community around. Everything is very nearby such as all major Banks, ATM machine, popular restaurants and trekking equipment stores. Hotel Blue Horizon is located very nearby Green line Tourist bus station and Standard tourist bus stand which is only 4 to 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel. The roof of the hotel has very nice views of surroundings and some snow peaked mountains on the north. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Hotel Blue Horizon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Horizon Hotel