“Peaceful island in the midst of Kathmandu”
Review of Hotel Blue Horizon

Hotel Blue Horizon
Ranked #85 of 209 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We arrived in Kathmandu after a long flight, and after reading about how busy it is in Thamel, we were expecting noise and traffic. What a lovely refuge we found at Blue Horizon! Although only 5 minutes from the bustling streets and a host of restaurants and attractions, it feels like you are a world away. Rooms on the left going up the stairs ( C2 and D2 I think) are spacious, and overlook the garden. Throw open the window and watch the birds swooping through the trees - great way to chill out. Don't miss the Garden of Dreams a few minutes walk away - another great escape from the business of Thamel itself. Lots coffee shops and restaurants in walking distance - highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cokeythebandanadog

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed at hotel Blue Horizon the night my late arrival in Kathmandu - the hotel offers airport pick up, essential when you arrive after midnight.
The deluxe room I had booked was clean and as expected. A bit noisy maybe, but I did arrive during Tihar festival. I also spent the last two nights of my stay in Nepal here, but in one of the cheapest rooms, which was perfectly fine for me but if you want a bit of space and a quieter room go for the upgraded ones. The location is good, being in Thamel but away form the noise. Breakfast in the garden was pleasant and staff helpful and friendly. Perfect for a mid-range budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden, and opt for the deluxe if you can afford it - the standard rooms a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

For the past 12-15 yrs i have been regularly staying at Hotel Blue Horizon and it was always a very pleasent stay. In fact once i had the Hungarian National Television travel with me and they were very impressed as well. Nothing other than "the best choice in Kathmandu".

Room Tip: The big room above the reception is excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed with them last October 2013, the location is good. Managed to walk around in day and night time, very close to most of the attractions in Kathmandu. Ram was helpful and flexible with the last minute changes on our booking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I arrived later than planned as I was travelling on the bus from Pokhara, however due to this the manager had assumed that I was not coming an cancelled my reservation. The hotel apparently had wifi that was so weak it might as well have not been there. The bathroom didn't feel clean and I honestly didn't want to risk trying the food.
On a positive note, the hotel management did arrange for me to do the Scenic Flight of Mount Everest which was good and I would recommend this to any travellers who don't have time to trek to Base camp.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed 8 or 9 times in Blue Horizont. People is friendly and helpful and not disturbing overservicing. Its perfect located if you want access Thamel without being in the trouble.
Food is fine, sometimes surprisingly good. Now the BH has a new nice garden.
My suggestion to the owner: add a small bar to the garden, for an evening beer and add some _comfortable!_ chairs and tables.

Room Tip: Rooms on top of the old building have a nice view and sometimes nice morning chants
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have to begin with emphasizing i was there a little bit early in the season, and also part of the bad experience was external, but still have to rate according to my own experience so here goes.
communication with the staff member Debra to organize airport pick up was efficient, and the pick up was there on time with a clear sign.
when got to the hotel we received a our deluxe room which had nothing more deluxe in it than any other simple room we have seen in Kathmandu - the sheets weren't as clean as they can be, the bed comfort was nothing that can be described as deluxe as well, the room was very small
the worst thing was a really bad smell of paint since the toilet was recently repainted.
we were also locked inside a bit because of a bad door handle.
after rescued from the room by a passing staff member we asked for a different and cleaner room which was a bit cleaner but had the same bad smell but we were very tired so we compromised for the night.
after checking in the manager approached and asked as about our plans and tried to offer as his own services for organizing our trek which is very legitimate.
the thing that bothered us was that he kept repeating we should use his offered services and not go with any other agency (he even mentioned a specific one that many people from my country uses and said bad things about them).
he kept repeating that this way (me taking all his services) they will give me in the hotel a very good stay experience.
which left me wonder what kind of stay experience will i be left with if i won't use the offers.
after one night we found a nicer and cheaper hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple