“Indians are Neglected”
Review of Hotel Blue Horizon

Hotel Blue Horizon
Ranked #84 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very Poor Experience. The way they advertise, just reverse is the situation you face.
Dirty, Never Cleaned Curtains, Worst Bath rooms, Smell inside room, Sorrounded by insects.
They neglect Indians, They speak too high rates for arranging local sight seeing etc...
Food is OK, Few staffs are good and Few are reverse.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank 49kaushik

Reviewed 20 August 2014

In my view, the two biggest selling points of this hotel are the location and the staff. The rooms are acceptably clean and comfortable, but they share the typical drawbacks of accommodations in this price range -- little to no electricity during much of the daytime period and maintenance issues that defeat some of the features (e.g., the windows often do not close completely, leaving the small air conditioning units largely ineffective). However, for my purposes the location could hardly be better: an oasis of calm only a few minutes walk from the frenetic activity of Thamel. And the staff is willing and able to arrange just about any service desired, either in the Kathmandu area or throughout the country. I stayed here on three separate occasions during my time in Nepal on a recent trip -- and would do so again on a return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I continue receive great value from this place. I enjoy the location of the property — it offers peace and quiet that is very much appreciated in a middle of often noisy Thamel. Staff is professional and friendly, they respect your space and are eager to help when you ask for it. The hotel has a great garden with a restaurant that serves tasty and simple meals throughout the day. Rooms are fairly simple and very clean. Hotel provides a free wifi that really carries the signal into your room, not just a promise. They picked me up from the airport and it saves a lot of energy and puts one at ease upon arrival. Happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We got the super deluxe garden room on the top floor, however we did encounter an infestation of bed bugs - make sure you check the bedding, cushions and couch beforehand!
Otherwise, we really enjoyed the garden and great food. Especially recommend the paneer butter marsala. They are a little pushy with trying to hook you up with a guide or a trek, but are happy to provide help otherwise.
Also recommend the roof terrace where there are peaceful views over Thamel

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden which is not on the ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank yuri l
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A great hotel where the staff went out of their way to make my stay comfortable, helping me with lots of advice and guidance.
I stayed there on two occasions for a total of 7 days.
They really helped me get to the airport on a day of strikes and no public transport in Kathmandu.
Good value for money, well situated in Thamel, but nicely off the main road.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Super Deluxe And Suite Are Good With AC And Hygiene, Expensive Food As Compared To Quality They Provide And Street Leading To Hotel is Not Good With Lots Of Man-Hole Under Repairing, Unable To Enjoy Night Life In Thamel As It Is Inconv. To Walk At Night.

The Travel Packages They Provide Are Very Expensive, So Stay Away From Them.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank abhi6795
Wagledevendra, General Manager at Hotel Blue Horizon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Abhi6795,
Thank you very much for staying with us. We are so happy to hear that you liked our super deluxe and the suites.

At the moment we are undergoing the situation that PUBLIC road that lead to out hotel have to be repaired which have disturbed you so we would like to present an apology for your inconveniences. Disaster can accur to anybody without the prior-information. The road department had helped us by digging the roads in this OFF SEASON otherwise it would have been more disaster. The works have been done so fast that in few more days roads will be as clean as before.

About the Travel packages, it is not compulsory to buy from the agents present at the hotel if you find it unfit for you. They are available for the FREE INFORMATION that you can always utilize, besides, you always have a choice. Compared to the quality and deliberation , the prices cannot be judged unless if you have experienced the trip with them. We believe guests love quality, and quality means little higher in prices.

Hotel Management

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I'll make this as detailed as possible. In doing so, I hope you will make an informed decision.

I stayed here for over three weeks. Knowing that is a review asking you to stay away, what compelled me to not move was that my internship was thirty seconds away.
Initially, there was no problem at all. We argued down the rate for the room to around Rs 1000 INR and it was specifically agreed that half the money would be paid by cash and the rest by bank transfer.

Over the next three weeks is where my impression was afforded the opportunity to change.
1) There are two wings. The newly constructed one and the older one. You will, for obvious reasons be shown the older one first.
2) Through out our stay, we could not sleep beyond 5 am as there is construction going on just next door. This means that everyday, there is no sleep beyond five.
3) There are power cuts till 5 on most days with no backup generator. ONE light in the room works. There are no working plug points anywhere in the hotel.
4) They cited technical problems for the lack of hot water more than thrice.
5) The food at the restaurant is below average. The Paneer Butter Masala was flooded in oil and we returned the entire food. The milk is old. And they will fight you on any problem you have with the food. ("No sir, a sandwhich here is not grilled unless you tell us while ordering that it should be grilled.")
6) The rooms are separated by a single wall. EVERYTHING spoken in another room, will be heard by you.

Most of all, here is where things got worse. At the time of payment (keeping in mind that half in cash was already paid), they refused bank transfer for the rest. And how was this done? With both the guys at the front desk screaming saying that they can demand payment however they want.

They refused the existence of net transfer on their website, and when I tried showing it to them on my laptop, both refused to acknowledge what was in front of their eyes. On things getting heated, they called their 'manager' who was accompanied by three others.
All four then proceeded to threaten me that me (and the lady accompanying me) would be forced to stay within the premises unless we made a cash payment. On raising our voices, two threatened to beat me up unless the cash was given to them and no bill for the same would be provided.
Keeping out physical safety in mind, before things got worse, I left from there and got to the room. The one that prevented me from calling the Tourist Police was that the flight was in 2 hours and we had no time to spare.
Don't get me wrong. The rooms are decent.
This is the experience you can expect with their 'management'. If you are looking for sub-standard stay with average food, this is the place. I did stay for three weeks. But did not expect to be beaten up by four oversized men.
In the end, I got not bill. The money was pocketed. The food bills were removed from the register. I was compelled to pay cash. With four men watching us, we left the premises quietly.
If you are women, I strongly suggest you stay away from this place. My reasons for this are primarily their waiters. Also, the street where they are located have no street lights. It's pitch dark and there is enough cat-calling.
In totality, if all you care about is a place to dump your bags, go ahead.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Karangupta12
Wagledevendra, Manager at Hotel Blue Horizon, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

We Have sent the evidence of the copy of the bill paid by you and signed by you to TripAdvisor Team. If found necessary we can post those copy of your signed bill in public as well.You have stole a room key from the Hotel. Wire transfer is for your convenience as when you are short in money and you can ask your family to send via wire transfer or credit card etc during your stay, but cannot be utilized after the guests return. Original food bill is with you and we have the copy. the one you mentioned as a bill is just the rough estimates and you didnot take any tour from us. There are no such construction starting in 5 am and which is also not allowed in whole Kathmandu to start at that time. we have 100s of guest staying and this complain is just made by you.

Further evidences can be provided as per required. Your review is the clear case if revenge when we requested you to clear the bill BEFORE checking out.