“Like staying at a good friend's home.”
Review of Hotel Courtyard

Hotel Courtyard
Ranked #107 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have never felt more welcome and at home at hotel in my life. This is the only hotel I have visited where the hosts and guests truly build a friendship, and I didn't even really like Kathmandu! I stayed here before and after my trek and it became the only "vacation" part of my vacation. At no point did I think of this place as a budget hotel. In fact, I enjoyed it more, and found it far more memorable than any of the $300/night hotels I've stayed in. Thanks guys.

Room Tip: If you are the type of guest who prefers to think of the staff as servants, this might not be your t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank L T

Reviewed 23 February 2012

I chose this hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor and having stayed on several previous trips to Kathmandu at Hotel Manang and Vaishali Hotel. I read about the hospitality of hosts Michelle and Pujon. I didn't really think my stay would duplicate what I read, but I was keen to try somewhere different. On arrival I met Michelle. She gave me a bottle of cold beer and her time. We chatted happily in the reception and she introduced me to other guest. That evening she and Pujon invited me to dinner at the Thamel House Restaurant. From memory, they paid for the meals and me the drinks... or was it the other way around? We had a great time. The rest of my stay both before and after a 28 day trek was made comfortable by friendly service and pleasant surroundings.
The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the Thamel district and is surprisingly peaceful given the hustle and bustle beyond its gates.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank StephenRees
Reviewed 22 February 2012

How do I begin to explain how great this hotel is? When you look on TripAdvisor you always want to find the best for your budget but always hope to find that little extra that vindicates the chance you take when booking.
This hotel delivers on all levels as far as I am concerned. If you have time and inclination I will take you through the whole experience.
I contacted the hotel on a Sunday morning looking for a place to stay the next day. I had a response about an hour later confirming availability and clearly explaining the price and what it included.
It is my first trip to Kathmandu so I was not sure what to expect as I nervously exited the airport but was immediately met by the driver from the hotel. The hotel is in the Thamel district which is very lively but turning off a main street you enter an oasis of calm. It is not named The Courtyard Hotel for no reason. I was met in the courtyard by Michelle and immediately made to feel totally welcome, served a beer and introduced to others in the courtyard including her husband Pujan. A bonfire had been lit to celebrate the Shiva festival and it was more than an hour before I eventually made it to my room.
The room I was given was a twin, although I was travelling alone. It was very spacious, very clean and well kitted out with towels, soap, hairdryer, LCD tv, heater, telephone, a couple of bottles of water, a desk, DVD player, storage cupboard and a fully functioning western style toilet, shower and bath. It may not be 5-star but personally I think the room is fantastic, and was cleaned every day.
Included in the price is breakfast in a small restaurant just off the courtyard. Absolutely brilliant is all I can say, endless tea and coffee, cereals, fruit, toast and best of all eggs cooked however you want them served with fried potatoes. They also do great looking pancakes. It's a nice room and a good place to meet fellow travellers.
The staff here could not be more pleasant or more helpful and my hat goes off to Michelle & Pujan for their hospitality. They will organise anything you want to do. I only had a couple of days so they had their driver take me (in their fantastic vintage, powder blue Mercedes) out of the city where I met a guide and trekked to Nambuddha monastery high in the hills. We stopped on the way up at a house for lemon tea and again on the way down where I had nepalese food looking out over the valley and on to the Himalayas in the distance, possibly the most stunning meal I have ever taken.
While the owners will organise things for you and offer to take you for meals I never once felt uncomfortable or pushed into anything.
A good example of how amazing they are and just a small thing but my flight is in the late afternoon and when I asked when I needed to vacate the room Pujan checked to see if anyone was booked in and since no-one was said I could keep the room for the rest of the day, no charged. How many hotels 5-star or otherwise do that?
The wifi is reliable and free, and despite the many power cuts the hotel has generators and solar panels so I was never without light and hot water.
This place gets it right on so many levels, I met a guy today who has been coming the Kathmandu for more than 20 years but found this hotel last year and says now he has discovered it, he won't stay anywhere else.
I will be back as soon as I can and recommend the place unreservedly, if you love it half as much as I do you'll be back too.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2012

All I can say is that this Hotel Courtyard really stays with you - I stayed here a few years ago but was just thinking about it today and then thought how I must finally write that review. I made friends during my stay that I still keep in touch with including Michelle one of the wonderful hosts.

Its a special place that opens its arms to you, I was travelling alone yet felt so much part of a community here - they don't accept tours so its all independent travellers. The hotel helped me arrange a wonderful trek, day trips and also lovely dinners in the evening. I'm not normally one to go for things that are arranged in a hotel but this isn't pre-packaged overpriced stuff, its truly about the Michelle and Pujan wanting you to have a great time and to see the best that Nepal has to offer.

The rooms are really stylish and tasteful with proper character, the suites are out of this world and there's a lovely cooked breakfast each day that really sets you up. I can't wait to go back to Courtyard one day, I'm not sure when it will be but I will go.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank annapear31
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I visited Kathmandu for a couple of days at the end of a job in Northern India. I found this hotel through Trip advisor, and it lived up to all the great reviews. Michelle and Pujon were great hosts, and as I was traveling alone, made me feel right at home there, where I met some wonderful folks in the friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended, and I'm still hoping to get back there.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This is THE place to go when you go to Kathmandu! Hospitality is great!
We spent here 3 days with small kids and all the family were feeling at home!
Walking distance from the beautiful Thamel, they arranged also for us short or daily trip to visit whatever we want!
Our room was a suite, very nice furnished and clean!
Absolutely a must to
visit!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank mscilli
Reviewed 27 January 2012

An excellent location in that you are in Thamel but also away from the hustle and bustle. The rooms are very nice with "the best beds ever" according to my girlfriend. Each room has its own hot water tank, satellite TV and a DVD player and there is a hotel bar with a selection of DVDs and books for guests to borrow. The hotel has connections with some excellent tour agencies nearby. The hotel restaurant breakfast was very filling. It has its own driver to take you to/from the airport or to hire for day trips around Kathmandu. We were there at Christmas and again at New Year and they arranged evening get-togethers to which everyone was invited.
The real clincher for this five star rating was Michelle, the owner. A lovely American lady who was happy to help in lots of different ways.
In summary, this hotel is undoubtedly more expensive than many of the other hotels in Kathmandu, it is however worth it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple