“Pujan, Michelle and Tibby - Thanks for a Great Stay!!”
Review of Hotel Courtyard

Hotel Courtyard
Ranked #103 of 204 Hotels in Kathmandu
Fullerton, Ca, USA
“Pujan, Michelle and Tibby - Thanks for a Great Stay!!”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We decided to stay at the Courtyard due to the many positive reviews on Tripadvisor.
If you are looking for a deluxe hotel with a swimming pool, elevator, "sweet sleeper beds", soundproofed rooms with double glazed windows or a hotel with ultra modern bathrooms, then go elsewhere. However, if you want to stay in a "boutique type" hotel with comfortable rooms, away from the every-day chaos of Thamel and hosted by the most congenial, friendly and helpful owners ever - then this is the place to stay. In talking with Pujan over the phone before our trip plans were finalized, he ended up arranging our entire Nepal visit along with a 4 day/3 night trip to Bhutan - at an extremely reasonable price. As mentioned by most reviewers, the atmosphere of the Coutyard is quite unique. We have stayed at other bed and breakfasts or small hotels where we have had an informal dinner or drinks and conversation with the owners or small groups of hotel guests. As you sit around in the Courtyard library, you feel like you are visiting a friend's home and are chatting with other friends who are from all corners of the globe - with extremely interesting occupations and hobbies. Before writing this review, I also rechecked all of the other Tripadvisor reviews that did not feel that the coutryard deserved an "excellent" rating. Here's my responses to some of those criticisms - for those of you who still may be undecided about where to stay in Kathmandu. (1) Power does go out at times in Kathmandu. While we were there, either the city power was restored almost immediately or the generator kicked in very quickly, and there was no noticable difference in lighting or air conditioning (a/c was great here -especially after not having it in Bhutan!) (2) Our breakfasts were great . Not much on the table - bread for toast, some fruit and juices. But the cooks will make eggs any style, bacon, shredded potatoes, pancakes, etc., and take to your table while everything is still hot (3) There are some night clubs/restuarants adjacent to the Courtyard that do have very loud music on some nights - which can be a problem in getting a good night's sleep if you want to turn in early. Both my wife and I brought along earplugs - which we used successfully on those occasions. (4) Noise from the "gatherings" of the hotel guests in the evenings enjoying a barbeque or a few drinks in the courtyard. Again, either use earplugs - or join in the fun, which is one of the main reasons to stay at the Courtyard! (5) Costs of some other hotels in Kathmandu are less - I can't really give an honest answer, as I did not shop around at other hotels. But the cost of staying at the Courtyard - for what we received in return - was extremely reasonable. (6) We always had enough hot water anytime we wanted it, but the shower control was very "tricky" and not much margin for error to get the right temperature water flowing consistantly. Again, if you want to feel like you are visintg with friends at their home, this is the place to stay in Kathmandu. That is why there are so many repeat guests, who actually do become close friends with Pujan and Michelle.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JackR46

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I stayed at the Courtyard on both the front end and back end of a recent trip. In short: the owners Michelle and Pujan have established a special, niche experience that allows you to meet new people, hang out with those you already know, and relax after the hustle and bustle of a day or night out in Kathmandu. As others have noted, on arrival you'll be welcome with a cold drink. The library is a terrific hang out spot. Rooms are cozy and comfortable (and when the power goes out on it's predictable schedule, their generator kicks in). Good options for breakfast, like omelettes, french toast, pancakes. If you're open and want it, Michelle and Pujan enjoy treating you as their guest, with dinner invitations to the better local restaurants (and no worries that you're being misdirected by someone taking a cut), barbeques in the courtyard itself, and maybe even a neighborhood walk up to the Monkey Temple and neighborhoods. Although you can of course find cheaper accomodations in Kathmandu, you don't get the same experience as the Courtyard. It's a great place. If you're a creep or obnoxious, please stay away!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I read the reviews and I thought hotel staff must have written them- nothing can be that good. Really they are that good. It felt like home. I was welcomed the evening by Michelle and Pujan- it felt like arriving back at the house of a friend. I had never been there before- it is a warm and welcoming environment. Pujan GAVE me a walking tour of the city. Seriously! I had an incredible stay during a not so pleasant time- there were strikes. I felt the owners were informed and kept the guest informed. I was supposed to do a tour by car, but they felt it wouldn't be safe. They advised I canceled (loosing the business). They arranged a group dinner for us in Thamel and group dinners at the hotel. I have traveled all over the world and never experienced this kind of hospitality. I had a layover on my way back from Buhtan and they arranged a pick-up from the airport (did a modified car trip) and then had a guest room to relax before boarding my trip home.
This is my first review I have every written. Stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank weekendworldtraveler
UK
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Courtyard twice during our trip to Nepal and it was great. The owners, Pujan and Michelle, will do anything for you and were very accommodating and helpful when we got stuck because of the Icelandic volcano. It is a very good place to stay with children because there is an outside seating area/garden, a library full of books and games and a DVD room with literally hundreds of DVDs to borrow - this was a godsend at times!
If you get the opportunity to visit Thamel House restaurant with Pujan and Michelle, go - it has great food and atmosphere.
This hotel is not the cheapest around, but for friendliness and service, it can't be beaten.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 31 July 2010

This is the second time I have stayed here and each time I really enjoyed it and feel very welcome. The service is really personal and the place has a homely feel to it, rather than an anonymous hotel. The owners Michelle and Pujan do their best to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

My favourite things about the hotel are the beautiful rooms, comfy beds and the yummy home made french fries!

I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Virtually all hotels these days tend to be transactional affairs: good service is decorative but rarely genuine, small perks such as late checkouts are begrudgingly given, and hotel management often have no time to speak with actual guests.

Which is why my stay in Hotel Courtyard was such an eye-opener. From the time my friend and I checked in, the owners Michelle and Pujan made us feel like old friends staying in their home, not paying guests in their hotels. A cold glass of lime soda awaited us at check-in, and Michelle gave us a tour of the property, which includes a movie room and a real bar with quality spirits. At virtually every hour, there were expats living in Kathmandu just hanging out in the tranquil courtyard area. To top it off, we were allowed to check out super-late, which was immensely helpful because our flight was the next evening.

The transcendent service aside, there are a few key amenities vital to Western travelers that Courtyard has that other hotels simply don't:
- Shower curtains: I never realized how important this simple thing was until I took a few showers without one at other Nepal hotels.
- Thick duvet and nice linens: Perfect after long days trekking in the Nepal countryside
- Shampoo and shower gel: Washing your hair with the bar soap provided at other hotels isn't fun
- WiFi that works: they have 3 routers at different spots in the hotel to make sure you get reception. Also, it appears they have an actual broadband connection as opposed to the 2400 baud modem at other places.

Finally, the price is perfectly reasonable and on par with other mid-range hotels in Thamel. On my next trip to Kathmandu, I would never even consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We stayed at The Courtyard at the start and very end of a tour of Nepal and Tibet. On first arrival after a crumpled night's sleep on the plane we were warmly welcomed by Michelle and Tibby the dog with lovely lemon sodas and coffee. We were very pleased with our room (we had booked a deluxe) and the hotel in general. It really is an oasis of calm in the middle of the madness of Thamel. The breakfast the next morning was fabulous, omelettes and banana pancakes. We didn't appreciate how good the breakfast was until we moved across the street to The Vaishali to start the tour. We nearly came back just to have the breakfasts. As the hotels deteriorated during the tour we began to fantasise about The Courtyard - the breakfasts and the hot water!

On our return we were again welcomed with a drink and we had been given a suite this time which was a lovely touch. We had a very nice last two days relaxing. In the evening we were even given free chips (fries) which again was a nice touch.

We can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. Good value for money and great location and service. Also, the air con and most of the lights worked during the power cuts. Bonus!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple