“A very nice hotel in Kathmandu, one worth staying at for at least a week”
Review of Hotel Courtyard

Hotel Courtyard
Ranked #109 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed 28 November 2010

First things first. I am a teenage son who was "hired" by my mom to write this review. So, here it goes.

We arrived at the hotel around 11am and the room was very clean and super huge (because I think we had a king suite). One of the beds had curtains around it, which gave us complete privacy if we wanted to take a nap. The closet was very useful, because like everything else around it, it was spacious. The bathroom was also massive, and the part my brother liked the most was the hand soap that smelled like apples. The TV was fine, but we didn't use it much because there were better things to do. There were plenty of water bottles but there was no fridge. That didn't matter, though because Nepal is very cold. We went down to eat lunch at a cafe that was situated right next to the hotel. The cafe was sort of a disappointment because I ordered a 'cheese burger' and instead got a patty made of cheese. The quality of the food there wasn't the reason for the disappointment, though. In fact, the 'cheeseburger' was quite good. I was also being an idiot because right below it said 'American Burger'. It was very inexpensive. My mom left to go somewhere and me and my brother went over to the movie library. It was huge and there were so many movies and books-all for free! We took a few and went back up to the room. It was cleaned again, even though we didn't sleep on it! The room was very quiet and the beds and pillows were very soft, so we got to sleep very well. Some of the movies in the library were pirated, but thats ok. The breakfast was very high quality and free. They had French Toast, Pancakes, and the highlight, Eggs. The staff was very nice and helped out a lot. They also had free internet in the lobby. The location was perfect because you take one step outside the door and there are so many shops you wouldn't believe it.
Overall, is a very good place to stay in Kathmandu.

• Stayed: November 2010

Reviewed 27 November 2010

Stayed here based on recent Trip Advisor reviews. While the hospitality was extraordinary we both came away from the experience feeling that more could have been done to make the rooms much nicer. The beds were incredibly hard, bathrooms run down and ramshackle. TV / fridge didn't work for our stay (not that we would have needed it anyway) due to faulty electrical outlets. After looking around a bit we found equivalent or better rooms close by in Thamel for half the price. Seems to me that with a bit or effort to fix up the rooms the Hotel Courtyard might warrant their well above average tariff but otherwise look elsewhere for equivalent but cheaper rooms.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeremysummers
Reviewed 25 November 2010

The Hotel Courtyard is a good hotel but don’t go into it thinking it’s anything more. You’re not going to get a deal…it’s expensive by local standards and I stayed in a hotel that was significantly less before and after my trek that had similar amenities.

The building and grounds are very nice and have a lot of character. The staff was also very friendly. We stayed in a suite which was a huge well decorated room with a sitting area, dark wood furniture, cable TV and DVD. However, the beds were not very comfortable and there were frequent power outages affecting of course the TV and lights but also the hot water.

Also, next door there was a music club that played loud music until about 11pm that was disruptive and annoying. Although the hotel has no control over this, it should be taken into consideration or at a minimum maybe ask for a room on the other side of the hotel.

The hotel offered a free airport shuttle but please note, it’s one time, one way (which was not explained to us before hand). We stayed several nights then went to India for four days and returned to the Hotel Courtyard for one more night before flying back home. When we were leaving the second time we were told the trip to the airport would not be paid for by the hotel because we had used our one-time trip on our previous visit.

It’s not a huge expense but there was no transparency in the process. If a new guest was staying just one night I am sure the hotel would have made taxi arrangements so it seems petty that they would not pay for the airport trip because we had already used up our one-way transport a week before.

With service charge (10%) and VAT you can expect to add approximately another US$30 to the room rate for the Suite. I do not understand the rationale behind a service charge on top of the room rate but something else to keep in mind when budgeting.

Pros
• Excellent location
• Huge well-furnished Suite
• Cable TV and DVD player
• Friendly staff
• Free Wireless Internet

Cons
• Inconsistent electricity and hot water
• Loud blues club next door
• Cold rooms

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We had a booking for the Courtyard as we had stayed here 5 years previously and we wished to see if it had changed.
Unfortunately I fell ill and had to spend 10 days in the Kathmandhu hospital.
The husband and wife (Michelle) team that owned the hotel could not do enough for my partner even though they were under no obligation to help.
During the time I was in hospital we kept the room on for a couple of days and when Michelle found out I was in hospital and our bags were the only thing in the room she told the receptionist to charge us at single occupancy discounted rate. Michelle then stored our bags for us (the second time since we got to Kathmandu) and stated that they would look after them for us until we had some idea as to what would happen to me. The level of support offered to my partner was well above and beyond our expectations. They offered us pillows to take to the hospital and any assistance we needed to get us through this time. They are very genuine and caring people who run a fabulous hotel. The feel of the Courtyard is of a grand family home - which is amazing considering the size. The staff were also exceptional and the check-in staff were so genuinely nice and caring it left a profound affect on my partner. We could not thank them all enough. It is unusual to find staff but more than that owners of such an establishment to care so much. You are more than dollars to these people. They often are running a business and dollars matter but it is not the end all and be all for them. They genuinely care about the people who are under their roof. I repeat myself by saying that in our time of need these people could not do enough for us and were genuinely interested in what we were going through. I could not recommend them enough. We have travelled in many countries and stayed in many hotels many of them top of the range and we have never experienced kindness such as this before. Our very sincere thanks go out to them and if we ever did make it back to Nepal the Courtyard would be number one on our list.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShaunScotland
Reviewed 22 November 2010

3 of us stayed here at the start & end of our trip earlier this year.

After 24 hours of travelling from the Scotland; Michelle & Pujan looked afterwards wonderfully.

Initially it was just 1 night before we carried on to our main destination of Pokhara.

When we returned for 3 nights at the end of our trip to explore the Kathmandu valley again we were looked after brilliantly.

Michelle & Pujan took us to several restaurants in Thamel where the 3 of us had some great evenings with them & other guests.

Nothing was too much trouble during our stay. Michelle organised our laundry. Also collection & return to the airport.

Thouroughly reccomended!

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank idect
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Tucked away in a by lane of Thamel, the hotel's architecture and design blend traditional Nepali culture, design and objects beautifully with modern hotel requirements. A no frills mid priced and very affordable boutique hotel, its so quaint, because every room has a different story to tell, and the room guests gather every evening in the courtyard to drink and eat together. The atmosphere is so magnetic, you just want to go back every evening and make friends. The Innkeepers, Pujan and Michelle are the most unpretentious and genuine Hotel owners I have ever seen, and are always around, the breakfast is amazing, so is the wine and liquor collection. As a business traveler this is my 11 th hotel in Kathmandu over 9 years, but the best and the only one I have reviewed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I cannot enthuse enough about this hotel! Run by a lovely married couple, with a great dog, it is the friendliest hotel I ever experienced (and we are spending a year travelling staying in everything from hostels to 5* hotels). The rooms and building are spacious and very clean, the courtyard area is a great place to hang out and read, surf the net (strong connection) or chat to other guests. The atmosphere and the other guests are what really make this hotel - there is always (we stayed here on two occasions) a great mix of friendly people. Twice when we were staying there the owners made a dinner (free of charge) and all the guests hung out drinking wine/beer and chatting into the evening. There is also a great reading room, where you can relax with one of their hundreds of books on one of their very comfortable chairs.
The breakfasts are really good, the bar is well stocked, their is a dvd collection the size of a bus and you can take as many as you like up to your room at once.
I have never ever experienced a hotel like this - you really feel like you are staying with the most most hospitable friends in the world. Very chilled, brilliant stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple