“Good location, slightly overpriced” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ganesh Himal

Hotel Ganesh Himal
Ranked #21 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, slightly overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Great location- close enough to Thamel to have the range of restaurants and shops on hand but out of the noise. We stayed there before and after our trek and both rooms were excellent, the comfiest beds we stayed in! Good bathrooms with hot water, nice and clean. Pleasant balcony areas and garden. It felt very safe.
The staff are always around but could have been a bit more friendly. The rooms are probably slightly overpriced for the average backpacker, but you know that you're getting a secure location and a great bed!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Very conveniently located and in a calm street. The amazing garden and rooftop are certainly the highlight of this otherwise average hotel. Rooms are ok, staff friendly, good choice of breakfast. A good budget hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Wingham, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

If you are looking for a hotel in Kathmandu then the Ganesh Himal really is pretty decent. The cheapest rooms are not a good deal however. Upgrading makes more sense and costs very little. My first two days were in a basic room and the toilet would not flush. When I came back I asked for the best room they had and I got the honeymoon suite. It was fantastic. The difference in price? US$7 per night. A king bed, beautifully appointed bathroom, lounge, flat screen TV, electric jug, very quiet and clean, secure and right on the courtyard. Perfect for 5 days R&R in downtown Kathmandu after 22 days of hard Himalayan trekking.

Room Tip: Do not opt for the basic rooms. Upgrade. Pay a tiny bit more and enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tony M
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Kathmandu late at night and there was a friendly driver from hotel Ganesh Himal waiting for us when we came out of the airport. Ear plugs are useful here (as with most places in Kathmandu) to help sleep through the barking dogs and early morning road noises. They have a lovely garden to sit and enjoy breakfast and the sunny rooftop deck is a great place to read a book. This place is great value for your money.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was our second time staying there. We stayed there 2 years ago and had such a good experience we decided to stay there again. Unfortunately, the hotel has gone downhill since then. We stayed in room 501 the first night. It's spacious, but there was no heater and when we asked for one, it was never sent to our room. The toilet was leaking badly so the next day we asked to change rooms which was no problem. Room 301 was fine for us except for another leaking toilet, but at least it was a small leak. Unfortunately, I left $200 in my bag in the room and it was stolen. It was my mistake to leave the money there, but we trusted the hotel and staff. I didn't notice the money was gone until I got back home. This is a warning for anyone staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank downtowndi
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Ganesh Himal for 4 nights altogether (our first 2 and last 2 in Kathmandu) and found the hotel overall a good place to stay. The rooms are clean and spacious, there are TVs and heaters in every room, and the location is very convenient. It's in the busy area of Thamel, but down a smaller road that filters out a lot of noise. The rooms are also decent value for money - we paid around $30 per night for a super deluxe room. Maybe not ideal if you're on a tight budget, but this was perfectly within our price range. However, here are the areas that knocked us down to a 3* review:

- The bathrooms are a little grimy (rusty fixtures and a scuffed up bathtub).
- We only had breakfast in the restaurant once. The food wasn't all that good and the kitchen didn't appear very clean.
- The power went out frequently, but even after it came back on our TV and heater wouldn't reboot for quite a while (we had to wait around an hour every time).
- THE MANAGER!! Watch out you don't get pulled aside by this guy when you first check in. He got us to come to his office so he could give us a map and get us familiar with the local area, which sounded good at first. But turns out he also runs a trekking company and basically tried to sell us a tour. We explained we were already booked on one, so he let us go with a "mere" 4000 rupees spent on a taxi to take us to Nagarkot and then to Bhaktapur (where we stayed the following 2 nights after we left Ganesh Himal). Definitely got the impression though that he wasn't going to let us leave without booking something.

This place is definitely worth staying in for its cleanliness and location, but do be mindful of the downsides.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SamanthaFrench
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at Hotel Ganesh Himal Nov/Dec 2013. Complimentary airport pick up was on time, which was reassuring!
All the staff were very friendly and accommodating which really made my stay pleasant. The hotel was clean and had a nice relaxed ambiance about it. I stayed in the new block to start with but was moved to the main building for a nicer room which was absolutely fine. There was plenty of hot water at all times. The only draw back I felt was that the rooms and the hotel was very cold and I found this quite uncomfortable at night. This was partly due to the fact that the doors to reception and the garden were kept open throughout the day but mainly it was because its just cold in Nov/Dec and so there's not a lot you can do about that but to dress up warm.

I was booked into another hotel for the second part of my stay in KTM and unfortunately I left HGH sooner because I was just too cold. Bit sad to go because I loved the location which was a 10 minute walk from Durbar Sq and 2 mins from Chhetrapati Chowk cross roads, so easy to get around, whilst at the same time steering clear from the centre of touristy Thamel!

I found the food to be very good. Choice of breakfast was good and set you up for the day. Good service from the restaurant staff, who were friendly and accommodating. The dining room is a nice cosy place to meet other travellers. There was an electric heater in there and staff were only too obliging to put it on for you if you needed to warm up and nosh on a plate of momo's! Excellent room service when ever required, not sure about during the night though. My last order most nights, was a milk coffee with a generous Royal Stag whiskey, an excellent whiskey by the way.
I loved the garden which was massive for Kathmandu. It was nicely laid out and a lovely hang out and a peaceful haven to chill out in, read the local papers, chat with the waiters or just unwind.

Internet access was fine and although they only have three PC's I always managed to use one when ever I needed to.

All in all I did enjoy my stay at HGH. It is a budget hotel and one which does very well. Would I stay there again? Yes, I certainly would!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo