“One of the best experiences we've had” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ganesh Himal

Hotel Ganesh Himal
Ranked #19 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Portland Oregon
“One of the best experiences we've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

We chose Hotel Ganesh Himal based on the previous reviews we had read on Trip Advisor. From the reports it appeared that the hotel met all of our needs – friendly staff, clean rooms, amenities like filtered water and internet access, off the main street, close to Thamel, en suite bathrooms, reasonable cost, good restaurant, and comfortable beds. My wife, 2 friends and I are in our mid to late 50’s and wanted a nice comfortable place to stay before and after completing the Annapurna Circuit.

Our stay was extraordinary and exceeded our expectations. We stayed four nights before and four nights after our trek. From our greeting and welcome drink to our heart breaking goodbyes, it was hard to leave our second home and family.

Our reservations from the US were easy to make directly with Dorje by email. Our ride was waiting at the airport and after a welcome drink, we enjoyed relaxing in their beautiful garden restaurant. My wife and I rented a deluxe room that was clean, had a nice western bath, and plenty of room. We asked for a quiet room and had one on the 5th floor facing the garden and entry driveway (the higher you are, the quieter it is). Sitting in the garden or on one of the terraces located on each floor provided an oasis from the noise and honking of a main street over a block away.

In addition, the hotel has their own generator (necessary in Kathmandu) supplying electricity between 8 AM and 10 to 11 PM, no small feat considering the amount of electricity needed and the cost of fuel along with frequent fuel shortages. Three free computers are available for guests along with free wi-fi in the garden. There is free bottled water, hot water, and thermoses are provided in your room. We ate over half of our meals at the hotel because the restaurant had a nice selection of delicious food served in a peaceful garden setting.

What made our stay extraordinary were the wonderful people at the hotel. Everyone made us feel welcome by going out of their way to assist us in anyway they could. They gave us their time and friendship. Maya and Rinku were wonderful and made our stay at the hotel one of the nicest stays we have ever had any where in the world. Kansa worked from 6 to 7 or 8 and kept everything running. He was always there with a smile and to assist us with our Nepalese vocabulary. I can’t say enough of the wonderful hospitality extended to us.

If you are looking for a nice clean family run hotel where you can easily communicate and share with people from another culture, I would highly recommend it. Dorje, Maya, and Rinku (along with everyone there) have gone out of their way to understand not only another language but also western cultural concepts to enhance your stay. It is quite remarkable.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ocb535

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
kathmandu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed in Ganesh Himal for over a week.
The hotel is very nice, in a quiet part of Kahtmandu but only 5 min walk to thamel.
The kids enjoyed the beautifull garden restaurant, the rooms and the free internet access in the lobby.
Great staff too....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Wales, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

The staff were helpful and paid just the right amount of attention to us. They were happy to assist with our daily plans or to leave us to our own devices.
Arriving in Kathmandu after 27 hours travelling blew our minds. Our taxi driver was a welcome site at the airport; I recommend a pre-arranged pick up to any Nepal first timer. So many taxis, people carrying bags for tips, selling fruit. . . .anything for a rupee or dollar or two (take small denominations of US dollars for the arrival) greet the bleary eyed traveller. We were whisked through the bustling overcrowded streets through the hotel gates, and into cool serenity. After a very refreshing welcome drink we were shown our room, freshened up and entered the beautiful, peaceful gardens for an evening tipple and the first taste of the many tantalising dishes that were to come, whilst receiving our obligatory basic language lesson from the waiting staff. After 15 hours sleep we were fit for purpose.
The "Aloo govi" at 80 rupees a bowl must not be missed, once, twice or thrice should the stomach allow!
I recommend this hotel, it is a wonderful spot to ease yourself into one of the most fantastic countries I have been lucky enough to visit yet, full of wonderful resourceful and welcoming people.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2010

The location of Ganesh Himal is good, shops/restaurants in Thamel are nearby. Durbar Sq is also within walking distance.

The rooms are clean and comfortable.

The staff are excellent. All the staff go out of their way to ensure that their guests needs are taken of. The staff at Ganesh Himal will treat you like family, once I met the staff I instantly knew I had choosen the right place to stay.

The hotel has hot water 24 hrs a day, not all hotels in Kathmandu do. The hotel also has a generator, free internet and supplys their guests with drinking water. The hotel has a nice garden that guests can use to relax/read/have a drink, etc. I doubt many hotels in Kathmandu can give their guests as much as the Ganesh Himal, in terms of facilities and service.

I haven't stayed anywhere else in Kathmandu and never will now that I've found the Ganesh Himal. Will definitely stay here again and would recommend Ganesh Himal for anybody looking for a clean, comfortable, well located hotel in Kathmandu.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

Arriving in Kathmandu after 4 months in india, the Ganesh Himal was like a wonderful, peaceful haven. Full of Nepali character with spotless rooms, cleaned daily, hot powerful showers & friendly staff it was a perfect oasis. Slightly away from the noise and relative bustle of the centre of Thamel, it was in a perfect location and walking to and from it, late at night, on my own, I felt entirely safe and secure. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BabyBlueLou
Kenmare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

Please note I posted a review before but it was not printed so am trying again.
I spent a few months travelling around Nepal, Sikkim and Darjeeling in Feb and March. I stayed in many budget hotels and experienced the electricity blackouts, lack of water and cold temperatures in most of them especially in Feb and I can't tell you how delighted I was to find Hotel Ganesh Himal. I moved there from Thamel, it is just south of there, and it is much quieter, pleasant, well run and friendly than any where else I tried. The hotel is family run, the owners Mukhiya and Maya are there themselves every day as well as her sister and other family members. There is real concern for the comfort of the customers.
I don't know how they manage it but there is always hot water, certainly not the case in other more expensive hotels, the generator comes on when there is no electricity, there is always hot and cold drinking water in the container and a flask in each room to keep the water hot . One is welcomed with a drink, there is a pickup at the airport, there is a good restaurant on the premises and meals are served there, in the lovely garden, on one of the terraces or in the rooms. There is an excellent travel desk with knowledgeable advice and arrangements on every kind of tourist trip by air, train, trek etc. The rooms are large as are the bathrooms and there is a great cleaning team that will come in daily with fresh sheets and towels if wished. The beds are great, good thick mattresses and soft pillows. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed it as much if I had only stayed in one hotel and experienced so many with thin, boardhard mattresses. I had an accident in Darjeeling and really hurt my back so those mattresses were so appreciated. When I returned to Kathmandu and this hotel the owner picked me up personally from the airport and everyone was so kind. I'm sure that all the services offered cut in to their profits and I just want to say how much this traveller appreciated it. There is a big case of books to read and exchange, wireless internet is available if one has a laptop and there are several computers available for use free. By the way there is also a roof garden which must be really nice to use in fine weather and there are great views. What more can I say? From the Nemaste (welcome) from the nice, helpful gate guards to this Tibetan family there is a feeling of warmth and caring. I would return to Kathmandu just to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Hampshire and Llincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

I have nothing but praise for the patrons of this hotel Mukhiya and Miah who were helpful abd courteous throughout our stay. There is an excellent atmosphere at this family run Hotel and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. The food is varied, good and reasonable priced. The small garden is delightful and very colourfull. When we were there Miah was grafting Orchids onto some of the smaller trees.
It is very well located in Chhetrapati not far from the shopping area of Thamel and the Durbar Square and very easy to get either a taxi or rickshaw if needed.The Hotel can arrange internal trips to suite your needs if required and also a currency exchange.The Hotel has it's own modern generator so that when the electricity goes off which it frequently does in Katmandu you are not plunged into darkness for long. Excellent mattresses, constant hot water and thick towels all add to your comfort. We will definately stay at this Hotel again. Ann, Sandy, and Susan.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends