“5-Star Quality and Service ... But BEWARE of Current Construction”

and 1 more site!
Glacier Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 105 Hotels in Pokhara
Chicago, Illinois
“5-Star Quality and Service ... But BEWARE of Current Construction”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have rated this Hotel a 5-Star only based upon future potential (after construction is fully completed), together with the actual current quality of the rooms (furnishings, cleanliness, comfort), the central location, the included very good and very full Breakfast (eggs any style, Toast, Bacon and Sausage, scallop potatoes with onion tomato and capsicum, Juice, and Pot of Coffee or Tea), and especially the awesomely helpful and courteous Staff.

HOWEVER, I must honestly emphasize and FOREWARN that current massive Construction project detracts significantly from being able to enjoy a stay here at this time. The entire front of the Hotel and entrance I would describe as a 'disaster zone'; and, of course the daytime noise is quite disturbing (I note that Raj 'guarantees' the construction hours will 'only' be from 8am-5pm, but of course those hours seem to get 'stretched' a bit (more often it seems starting as early as 7am). Regrettably, I was not warned by the Owner Raj prior to arrival of the situation, but instead when confirming my Reservation he stated "Upgraded into a Deluxe as You Mentioned You are A contributer on TA (Trip Advisor)". Only after our arrival, did he change his tune to say the upgrade and discount were in fact offered on account of the construction (and then also further kindly offered a private Sunset Tour to the top of Royal Mountain, which was enjoyable and appreciated). Though I understand Raj doesn't want to scare away potential customers, not being open and candid when potential customers first make inquiry is not the way to earn loyalty and a good reputation. Truthfully, I would not have chosen to book here if I had known the situation, even with the offered upgrade and discount. But, when the construction is actually and fully completed, a stay at this Hotel would be Highly Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mrjustice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I arrived severely sick, I had four nights there and only left my room for one afternoon. So it's safe to say I got to know the hotel room. With the BEST electricity I experienced anywhere in Nepal (almost constant) I was actually able to fully charge things, and the wifi was great and constant. A large double bed, large comfy room, heating, a tv, bath/shower and fairly good room service. Very very kind people genuinely looking to help. They kept offering to take me to the hotel and would call just to check on me and offer to go buy me medicine. Extremely helpful in organising your plans too. They have a complementary drop off and a travel desk. I can completely recommend Hotel Glacier to anybody!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JacMBrisbane
Guangzhou
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My companion and I had booked two nights initially, but we extended our stay. All of the cheerful, friendly staff made us feel welcome, and like we were the only guests….which we were not. Rooms were clean, especially and remarkably the floor…in spite of the construction that was just a few meters away. The only shortfall I found was for showers: the water was warm but never hot. On the other hand was a small but critical bonus: one electrical outlet worked all day long -- a huge benefit for charging batteries.
During our first full day we started making plans for the rest of our stay in Nepal. Rajendra began learning our interests and impressed us with his local and national knowledge and connections. I was struck first with his ability to quickly adapt to our changes in plans, arranging a paraglider flight at an off time on short notice and later accommodating some new friends we’d met on a trek.
We guessed rightly that he would make an excellent planner and arranger for the rest of our time in Nepal. He suggested a range of plans, with a good price. He was also astute in guessing our inclinations and arranged hotels in semi-secret out-of-the-way places. I’ll leave those places a secret; you can ask him yourself. We had great guides and a great time. I plan to return to Nepal someday, and I’ll use their services again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed here for nearly a week as a loan female traveller and can definitely recommend it. I had a lot of work to do so my beautiful wood panelled room with 2 big sunny windows and a comfy bed made the perfect base. The wifi was reliable and worked in the room.There was good hot water most of the time. The new restaurant is currently under construction, so there is a building site at the front of the hotel. The work was not noisy however and the hotel gave a good discount for the room and included a complimentary trip to watch the sunset in the mountains which was more than generous compensation. Breakfast was good each day and there are so many eateries within easy walking distance that a lack of restaurant was not a problem. Perfectly located on Lake side too. The staff were all genuinely friendly and helpful, I felt so comfortable staying here and can whole-heartedly recommend it. It will be superb (and busy) when the restaurant is finished in May. Thanks for looking after me so well, hopefully see you again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hathor01
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 9 January 2013

What makes this hotel special is the people and the service...amazing!!!
The hotel was going through some plumbing problems and the restaurant is no longer there however this did not stop us from continuing to add more nights to our stay.
The rooms are large and spotless and the free wifi works great. On it's own the hotel is a nice hotel but it is the owner and staff that make this a 5* experience.
This is a hotel that I will recommend to anyone else travelling to Pokhara.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DeeTurn
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We managed to find the Glacier Hotel after we were dissatisfied with our one night stay at another hotel nearby. We had to make a call back home to a friend to get the name of the hotel they stayed at on their previous visit. We went over to the Glacier to have a look at the rooms to be sure that we had heat ,internet and hot water. All good....we stayed for 3 nights. Raj and his staff were very friendly and helpful and made some great recommendations that we happy to put to use. This hotel was great value for money for us when the everything is combined, service, hospitality and room was fantastic. When compared to hotels in Malaysia, we are more often disappointed for the money spend. Thus this was a pleasant treat. We will certainly stay here again. Room 333 was great!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Polar_Canadian
London
Reviewed 20 December 2012

After trekking to Everest Base Camp we headed to Pokhara with only one objective - to relax. The Glacier Hotel was the perfect place just for this. The staff provide a warm welcome and are were so polite and friendly throughout our stay. Rooms are clean and nicely decorated. A massive bonus was the bath tub - not all rooms have this, so ask - and I enjoyed a hot bath every day! A good breakfast is included and Concertos is just a few strides away - lovely Italian with an open fire and serving red wine!

Thoroughly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple