“11 Day Parahawking Package”
Review of Parahawking - MOVED

Parahawking
More attraction details
Owner description: Parahawking is paragliding with a trained bird of prey. It was pioneered in Pokhara, Nepal by renowned bird trainer and paraglider, Scott Mason. Rescued and rehabilitated raptors such as Egyptian Vultures are trained as part of an award winning enrichment program, to fly with paragliders and, by using their incredible ability to conserve energy, can guide the paragliders to the best thermals. They will then land on the passengers gloved hand for an inflight reward. Parahawking is a perfect mix of adventure, eco-tourism and conservation. A Parahawking Tandem Experience is more than just a paragliding flight with a trained bird, it's an education into vultures and the problems they face in the wild. Proceeds from Parahawking tandem flights go directly towards vulture conservation projects in Nepal.
Reviewed 29 December 2016

My husband and I planned our entire 11 day Nepal trip through Scott Mason, the owner of Parahawking. Scott set up our hotels in Katmandu, our local travel, and a five day trek to Poon Hill in addition to the three night Bird of Prey Experience, Parahawking, and lodging at Maya Devi Village. We were more than pleased with the entire trip and the services provided. Parahawking, Bird of Prey Experience, and Poon Hill at sunset were great. Maya Devi Village was our home base and was very comfortable and the food was excellent. Scott was a great host and even helped us book a river rafting trip on an unexpected free day. I would definitely recommend staying at Maya Devi Village and getting to know the birds (Kevin and Bob) before and after Parahawking as it truly make the experience all the better.

1  Thank SCCarberry

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Trying to find the words to describe how I feel right now having only just experienced Parahawking. Amazing, awesome, fantastic, immense although these are all words that describe it they don't seem to match how I feel. I thank the complete team at Parahawking project as today has been the best experience of my life, to be able to appreciate Bob in his natural environment and also interact and see him flying right beside you is breathtaking. I can't recommend this experience enough, come enjoy, learn, understand and appreciate these amazing birds. Keep up the great work guys!

1  Thank Michael E
Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

If you want more than just paragliding then definitely you must try Parahawking.
All support staffs were amazing.
Get the briefings after the Parahawking adventure about the conservation efforts which according to me is very important and worth every minute.
Overall a great and long lasting experience which is going to take me to Pokhara again soon.

1  Thank Aviator108
Reviewed 30 November 2016

We went towards the end of November and had a great time. It wasn't as clear as we would had hoped but it was actually quite cool to fly over a bit of haze, which also made for some cool photos. I would suggest booking at least a few days in advance and going directly with the company instead of through a third party. We met them at Blue Sky Paragliding in Pokhara where we were picked up with the bird in the car (a nice surprise) and then drove up the mountain to our departure point. From there they explained everything before we took off. If you are prone to motion sickness maybe take a ginger pill before just in case.

The pilots take excellent footage, you will not be disappointed!
They have two GoPros per pilot, one Hero 2, one Hero 3 and 2 Hero4s if I'm not mistaken. As someone who has had every model of GoPro I would recommend the company to upgrade to all Hero4 or 5- but regardless it is all great footage and photos. I swapped out one of their GoPros for my own Hero 4 (I chose to take a video and a photo every 5 seconds). I chose the front camera for my own and they used the other camera to take some great photos from different angles. My own gopro did fog up a bit towards the end only because I had the waterproof back (not the one with an open back). I believe you still have to purchase the photos even if you use your own camera (that's what we were told)- although we would have purchased the photos and videos from them regardless which were all amazing. They also have a helmet mount if you have a longer piece to hang off of it, that might make for cool footage as well but I would definitely recommend speaking to Scott about it first (which we mistakenly didn't).

The flight was really cool! The bird was awesome and we did a bit of cool stuff during the flight. I felt safe the entire time and the pilots were excellent. The pilots have many many years of experience. My partner and I each had a pilot, leaving at the same time and sharing Kevin the Egyptian Vulture, which was cool to see it land on them.

Once we were done with the flight we went down to have some tea and to meet the rest of team and the birds. We learned a lot about The Parahawking Project and why vultures are so important to the ecosystem and Asia. It was a really interesting explanation, and gave more purpose to the experience. The price seems high, but it's worth it when you fully understand the conservation aspect of it- plus it's the only places in the world you can do it!

The whole experience takes about 2-4 hours so make sure you plan for that.
Fully worth it, would highly recommend.

1  Thank roamingrosso
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 November 2016

My partner saw this place in a Nepal guide book and we knew we had to try it. Amazing experience following Kevin the Egyptian Vulture to the best thermals and having him land on your arm mid-flight for snacks as rewards. Amazing experience from pick up to landing. As they sorted through to find the best photos we had a tea and got to meet the other birds and learn about the steep decline of vultures in Asia due to a drug used in the treatment of livestock that kills them.Great that we can enjoy a amazing experience knowing that some our money is going towards helping conservation of these these amazing creatures. Amazing learning experience as well as a great adventure. Once in a lifetime experience i will never forgot. If you are going to spend 125 USD to Para-glide anyways spend the extra and go Para-hawking trust me you will not regret it! All pilots are top notch!

1  Thank EnMatF