“Beautiful hotel but some let-downs!”

Waterfront Resort Hotel
Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Pokhara
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel is perfectly placed by the lake and, as far as I know, every room has a nice view; mine certainly was, even though I was at the end of the hotel farthest from the lake. It may be a little far from the town for some people but the hotel do offer a free shuttle service 4 times a day - also it is pleasant to walk into the town along the lake, and taxis are cheap (Rs300) for coming home at night. The staff were friendly and welcoming too.

One downside for me was that, although the pool is beautiful, it was extremely cold to swim in. I tried on the first morning I was there and it was freezing cold, so went later that day, around 4p.m. when the sun had been on it all day, but unfortunately it was still extraordinarily cold. I did swim that day, but had no inclination to subject myself to such temperatures again and so for the remaining 3 days of my stay there was effectively no pool facility.

Another was that I chose this particular hotel to relax in as it was in such a perfect position right on the lake. Disappointingly, the sawing (metal cutting?) noise coming from somewhere on the grounds from 7:50a.m. till 6p.m. disturbed that pleasant idea. Sitting, reading on my balcony with a drink and a nice view was simply not an option.

A further disappointment was that I had requested a room with a double bed and was given a twin-bedded room. This was made worse because I noticed that the hotel was nowhere near full and so asked if I could change to a double bedded room, but was told that there were none available. The hotel remained fairly empty until my final (4th) night when it did fill up.

The room itself was spacious and clean. However, the layout of the room was quite interesting as the table and chairs were placed so close to one of the beds that you couldn't even get to them, never mind sit on them (photo attached). There was a damp patch on one of the walls (photo attached) and, although this didn't smell and was quite well-hidden by one of the beds, it still should be dealt with. Some of the furniture in the room was past its best and flies were also a bit of a problem if you left the window open for too long, though there was a plug-in mosquito killer so mossies weren't a problem in the room (not that I noticed them being a problem at all, even outside, to be honest).

The bathroom was fairly standard with a shower attachment in the bath; this had lost some of its outer cover though and so easily became twisted, thus cutting off the water until it was untwisted again. Hot water was plentiful and seemed to be available all through the day and evening, but I thought it was a little mean not to have hair conditioner or body lotion available for guests in addition to the shampoo and shower gel.

Most annoying was that one day I came back from breakfast to find maintenance being carried out in my room, without any prior warning. There was a man with a drill who was fixing a wall mounted coat rack onto the wall (though I hadn't noticed any problem with this before I left for breakfast and hadn't had any clothes hanging from it). I tried to ask why this was being done while the room was occupied and to find out how long the work would take but was met with incomprehension (the poor maintenance guy obviously couldn't understand English and had just been sent to do a job) so ended up just getting changed in the bathroom, going out and leaving him to his work.

A final annoyance was that the information in the hotel's booklet says that airport transfers are free, but when I reached the airport I was charged and told that it's only a one way free airport transfer! They really should change that information in their booklets as it's misleading.

So, overall it is a nice hotel, in a calm and relaxing location, with spacious, reasonably well kept rooms, however, there are some irritations and annoyances to guests and some maintenance issues should be addressed (whilst rooms are unoccupied!).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank UKbadiabranca
Saurav R, International Marketing Operations at Waterfront Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Waterfront thanks you for your kind review and taking the time to provide valuable feedback that we are acting upon. We have set up dedicated maintenance persons for the hotel who work under the hotel management to effectively communicate and manage maintenance issues within the property.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Nepalese new year weekend with family. Rooms are fine but they need to get rid of them flies. Breakfast was alright. The location is peaceful and we walked into the city and avoided taking the free shuttle.

Staff are welcoming and mostly friendly. Overall its worth a second visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Saurav R, International Marketing Operations at Waterfront Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Waterfront Resort thanks you for taking the time to review our property. We value your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future minus the flies you encountered for which we are working on concrete solutions.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was such a pleasure staying in waterfront Resorts POkhara. The best part of this property is that it is located so close to Phewa lake and the view of the hotel with the lake and the hills in the background is so picturesque that one would not feel like leaving that place. The property is not vast and the rooms were quite neat and well bright. The food was also quite good. The hotel staff were quite supportive and arranged a good deal for Paragliding and sunrise view of the Himalayas. The costing was also quite reasonable. Overall this is a good place to check out. From outside the hotel near the banks of the lake we got to see a 3-4 dozens of para gliders enjoying the view of the Himalayas from that height. It was very

Room Tip: Plan your travel to Pokhara post-September as the days are very hot till September. Do not miss the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Waterfront Resort thanks you for kindly reviewing our property. We would love to host you again and value your patronage!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I was booked in to the Waterfront by my good friend - Uttam - Ops Manager at the Kathmandu Guest House in Thamel, KTM. This was part of a 5 night / 6 day round trip taking in Chitwan Wan National Reserve and Lumbini - staying at sister hotels to the KGH.
News had traveled ahead, and I was warmly welcomed like an old friend. I had a local guide and car - booked by the Waterfront - for a sight seeing trips around Pokhara including the World Peace Pagoda, sunrise over the Annapurnas and Macchapucchre ( Fishtail Mountain). My guide was friendly, great sense of humour and extremely knowledgeable.
Back at the hotel, the ambience was relaxing, the restaurant, housekeeping and bar staff were extremely friendly without being intrusive. I cannot praise this hotel highly enough. I missed out of the paragliding due to time constraints - a good reason to revisit....

Room Tip: Great views from all rooms. Corner suites are the best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Waterfront resort thanks you for taking the time to review our hotel. We would love to host you again and our travel desk would be more than happy to organize a paragliding session for you at your time of convenience!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The trip to Pokhara by car is something one would like to avoid, specially once you finally get there to think that one will have to ride all that way back is just too much. Better fly into Pokhara if you can, my travel organizers never offered me this possibility therefore I had no idea about and airport nearby.
The Water Front Resort is a relaxing hotel with very nice views of the lake and rice fields.
The hotel offers a well served shuttle bus service to/back the tourist market area in town. The rooms are nice and clean with standard modern furniture. The manager is very kind and efficient and so are some of the staff in the front desk. The restaurant personnel needs better international training.
It's with no doubt your best choice in Pokhara.

Room Tip: High floor and room with a view. There is one room which is the best but it's always taken, I th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Waterfront resort thanks you for taking the time to kindly review our hotel. We value your feedback and we are continuously striving to ensure excellent service to make every stay more memorable than the last. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four days/nights for business in March 2014. It is well-appointed and provides amenities not found in most Nepali hotels and certainly not in Pokhara. The swimming pool is lovely. The food in the Aqua Bird restaurant is some of the best (freshest) I've had on my international trips. The rooms could use a slight refresh as noted in another review but please consider that you are staying in a relatively remote community at the foot of the Himalayas. The views are unbeatable and better than any place I've ever stayed but the standout feature of this hotel was the staff. They are some of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met. They do not seem nice for the sake of tourists but genuinely nice in a way that makes you feel comfortable and relaxed. They accommodated every request our group had (there were 50+) from getting taxis to head out for the day, to setting up sunrise tours, helping with paragliding adventures and so much more. The Resident Manager, Santosh Karki, was not only extremely helpful while we were on-site but answered every email I sent in the weeks prior with such speed and thoroughness it completely put my mind at ease about staying at the hotel and I certainly was not disappointed when I met him and his staff. They are superb and that is the true reason for the five-star rating. -- Kelly G.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake/swimming pool. Watching the sunrise in the morning as the mis...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

On behalf of the resident manager Santosh and our team in Waterfront, I would like to thank you for your patronage and kind review. We would love to host you again in the future while we appreciate your valuable feedback on which we are continuously working on to provide the best service to make every stay more memorable than the last.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Water front is a great resort. Its right by the lake and you can watch the Paragliders land from your balcony. The only problem is that its a bit far away from the city centre and even though there is a free shuttle service provided by the hotel, its still a hassle to try and plan your daily activities according to a shuttle schedule.

Also the roads leading up to the resort are not very good. But all said and done, its one of the newer and better resorts of Pokhara.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Waterfront resort appreciates your time in kindly reviewing our property. We value your feedback and we strive to make all our guests' stay the most comfortable we can and provide any assistance in organizing travel schedules through our new travel desk.