See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 March 2016

I usually don't take the time to write reviews, but I think people need to know what to expect form this weekend buddhist meditation yoga course!

I'll start with the good things: very quality food, qualified and nice staff. Located at 3 minutes from the lake. Spartian but nice accomodation, generaly the place is really nice, you also can find a little library with books about buddhism in many languages!
Drolkar introduced her course with an interesting explanations about religious buddhist paintings and the most popular Buddhas. So we could understand more about all the Tangkas we could see in street shops!

Generally speaking about the course, if you are looking for a philosophical or spiritual experience, I would only have two words: move on!
I knew a little bit about Buddhism before coming and I was interested in the Buddhist philosophy. Let's say that the weekend course I experienced was mainly about the basics of Buddha life and buddhist theorie, with a sharper focus on the karma theory, miracles and the moral conduct of buddhism... and a very few about the buddhism philosophy.

Generally, the buddhism courses are mainly about listening a lot and sitting. Getting real answers to our questions was very rare!

It is such a pity that Drolkar didn't stay with us during the daily group discussion time. She could have been a great help to enrich and lead the debate and help us to focus on the philosophical topics she had given us.
Regarding the meditation, we could experience many different types of meditation. Some of them were interesting, for some others, it was difficult for me to concentrate as she was talking too much. As a beginner, I would have liked to have some more practical advices concerning this activity.

I had no experience with yoga, we had 2 daily courses. This course was very slow, especially for those who already had some experience and very few explainations were given.

As a teacher in my everyday life, I may have had higher expectations that the other students, who were a bit less critical than me, but I can say that I was generally disapointed with the courses, in form as well as in substance.

However, it remains a very nice experience and an actual introduction for people who have no knowledge about buddhism and who just want to know about the general theory. And above all, great encounters with the staff and students!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
7  Thank Françoise W
Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

To start with the positive things: very good food, nice surrounding (although it can be noisy), interesting meditations, not expensive for what you get.

During the teaching I found there could have been more interaction. You get a lot of information (to much? difficult for me to stay focused sometimes) about the basic principles of Buddhism. If that's what you're looking for, you're at the right place! If you're looking for interaction and conversations about Buddhism/philosophy, you may wanna go somewhere else...

The yoga lessons were very good for beginners, if you're more experienced you may find it a bit slow.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Wineke28
Reviewed 8 January 2016 via mobile

I stayed here more than 2 weeks over a period of 2 months (2 visits). I did no courses here but was just looking for a nice and relaxing place to stay while in Lakeside. And that I found here, I truly think this is the most peacefull stay around with very friendly staff and good enough accomondations. I could also freely practice meditation in the meditation hall which was an extra plus for me!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Jelle J
Reviewed 18 October 2015

My partner and I attended the weekend course which we enjoyed very much. Drolkar lead us through the intro to Buddhism and facilitated some good discussion amongst the group. Each day basically included 2x yoga, 2x lessons & 2x meditation sessions. The staff we very welcoming and made some delicious food!
We decided to stick around at the centre once the course was over. Considering the beautiful surrounds, quiet setting, and comfortable facilities - the room was very affordable.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CherylLee88
Reviewed 13 September 2015 via mobile

Me and my friend visited to ask about courses and accommodation. The people were really helpful and friendly and the place is beautiful. But be aware of the crazy dog that attacks people! My friend got 3 puncture wounds in her arm. A guy that tried to help her also got bitten. Apparently she wasn't the first one..

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends