“Not clean, made us sick”

Hotel Tulsi Pokhara Pvt Ltd
Ranked #68 of 109 Hotels in Pokhara
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon after reading some of the great reviews on trip advisor. However, we had a pretty bad. Our room was very, very, very dusty - so much that my dust mite allergy went into overdrive, making me quite ill, something that had not happened for nearly 10 years. The bed also felt dirty - after a nice shower, it felt like you were back on the street after a night in the beds. The beds were also hard, even the pillows were hard. We asked for soft pillows, which we got, which helped. The brochure advertised 24hr hot water, but we had 1 hot shower in 3 days. To top it off, we ordered drinks at the restaurant and received off juice (which we didn't drink) and the milk tea gave me gastro - I know it was the tea as I felt strange in my belly almost as soon as I had finished drinking. It completely ruined our first night in Pokhara, sadly. A disclaimer, we can usually rough it with the best of them - and have stayed in budget hotels in Kathmandu and Chitwan. However, the fact that the drinks were either off, or making us sick meant we avoided the free breakfast - being worried we would get sick again. It turned out to be a wise choice as we had no other gastro problems when we ate every where else. On a smaller note, the TV didn't work - and when we turned it on, it made a bad noise then died. We unplugged it, worried it was faulty.

There are positives though. The rooftop restaurant has amazing views, and the location is perfect. It is in the middle of everything which makes it great for sightseeing. The staff were also very polite and friendly.

However, we decided to check out early and change hotels - and it was the best decision. We both felt better and my allergy went away. For what we paid, for such an unclean hotel with dubious food and drink - it was very poor. Judging by lonely planet and trip advisor, there are much better options for this budget. We're not picky people and were happy to do it on a budget, but to get sick from food and to have an allergy flare up because of dust, its really not worth it.

Hopefully they can get things together quickly because in all other aspects it is a fantastic hotel. It just needs the upper management to inject a bit of money (easier said than done, I'm sure) and bring it back up to scratch.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Hallam D

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Four nights stay at Hotel Tulsi has been pleasant, and of course homely. The rooms were cleaner than expected, the staff were friendly and very hospitable. The stay couldn't have been comfortable without the quality service from the staff. My husband found the place to be too homely, he would love to be there more often everytime he visits Pokhara. Besides, Mr. Arjun Shrestha from the Reception in Hotel Tulsi has been very humble and helpful.

The new year couldn't have been more special, thanks to Hotel Tulsi's comfy rooms!

Room Tip: Room 406 has a great review.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bhoomikaa
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

We were here for 2 days and found the experience quite pleasant. The hotel staff were very helpful and courteous. The only negative point is that the lighting in the hotel is quite dim. Apart from that I had no issues with the hotel. Additionally the hotel is right next to lake and in a commercial place so you will never get bored.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank shishirdnath
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Great location just up the road from city centre, rooms are tidy, breakfast upstairs was good value.
The view from the roof is stunning, worth going up on the water tank area for a photo or two.
Power comes in and out but that's common place in Nepal
Would stay there again

Room Tip: Dont get ground floor as they are in the foyer and you hear all the people coming and going
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank saudidoug
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This hotel is tucked nicely inside a side road away just 5 minutes away from the main traffic which is sufficient to give you an excellent sense of serenity.

Food is one of the best that I tasted when I was in Pokhara for 3 weeks.

It is one of the best base hotel to start with if you are going for the Annapurna range. There are good and cheap mountaineering equipment that are sufficient for tackling ABC but I doubt anything beyond that. So if you are going anywhere below that, just bring sufficient money. A dry fit long t-shirt is only SGD5.

Food is very cheap as well (which will get more expensive as you climb higher), though I am a bit worried about my delicate stomach. So I make sure I eat something that is thoroughly cooked. Similarly for drinks, I did not go for cold drinks but instead go for hot tea. I missed the hot tea, they helped me through the cold climb and at times the unpleasantness of acclimatisation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kiansoon
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Hotel is conveniently located off the busy main street of Lakeside and offers excellent views of Phewa Lake and the mountain range from the balcony outside the rooftop restaurant. Room was spacious, satisfactorily clean and bed was comfortable enough for me. However, a few downsides were the frequent power disruptions, A/C unit unable to switch on during certain hours of the day, able to connect to hotel's WiFi but with no internet connectivity and drinking water not replenished often enough to meet the guests' needs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors seemed to be newer and also better maintained.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank oktray
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We had a great time staying at the Tulsi Hotel. The hotel is perfectly situated near lakeside and the view from the courtyard overlooking the lake was magical. The rooms are very clean and the hospitality of the staff made us feel very comfortable. Highly recommended if staying in Pokhara.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends