“A great experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chitwan National Park
Chitwan Jungle Lodge
Richterswil, Switzerland
“A great experience”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We were attracted to CJL as it was within the national park and lots of the other hotels are outside and only have limited access. Clearly this comes at a cost, but we were short on time and felt that it was worth it.

Comfy accommodation and hearty food was most welcome after elephant safaris and nature walks. A fabulous three day break even if we missed the rhino and the even more illusive tigers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike J

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Massachussetts
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed at the jungle lodge for 3 nights, and we loved every minute there. My 11 year old daughter keeps asking when we can go back.

The cabins are old and rustic, and yes the electricity is limited. How wonderful to be off the grid!

We were able to keep our camera batteries charged, and really it was great to not have our phones nor computers distracting us from the animals and sounds!

We loved the elephant treks and bathing. We had a long walk through plains after a canoe ride. We saw wild Rhinos from the back of an elephant. Monkeys, birds and crocodiles galore.

It took about 4 1/2 hours from Kathmandu. The ride, although long, was interesting. We had a private car pick us up and bring us back. The car was old but fine. We were comfortable. We enjoyed catching glimpses of towns and villages, farmers and school kids walking home.

This spot, and the people at the lodge will stay with us for a very long time. Thank you Santosh, thank you all!

Room Tip: If you don't like where they put you they are quite flexible about moving you around until you a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank AlwaysTime2Travel
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We knew we'd have no power, though recharging was available a couple of times a day. The lodges were comfortable, good beds and excellent showers. Good range of activities, jeep safari, elephant safari, bird-watching and nature walks, bathing with elephants. Guides were personable, attentive, and knowledgable (20+ years experience for many) and were able to take us to good sights....troops of langurs, rhino and baby, male rhino, as well as spotted and barking deer, wild boar and lots of birds. Food was god, though some lighter options for lunch would be good. It was just wonderful to sleep in a park with all the natural sounds throughout the night. Lovely atmosphere of isolation. Excellent staff, restaurant, bar and elsewhere. Recommend spending three days or more so there's some time to just relax in the lovely surrounds.The activities were early and mid morning, then late afternoon., so the hottest part of the day could be resting. Bathing with elephants was truly memorable. Recommended.
It's a real pity the Nepal Government has decided all the in-park lodges, leaving the park to the militaru underfunded park rangers and the poachers.

1 Thank Fran K
Nottingham
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This place was an oasis of calm after Kathmandu. It is really well organised, enough time for activities and relaxing. Rooms are simple but well done and the elephant bathing is a real highlight. Tips are to take a torch as there is no electricity at certain times and if you like bird watching your own binoculars. If you are wondering whether to spend the extra money to be in the park it is worth it. Allow 5-6 hours to get there by road from Kathmandu.

2 Thank Teal7
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at Chitwan Jungle Lodge for two nights as part of a two week tour of Nepal. The problem for me was that the accommodation was not correctly described by the tour company that we booked through, hence the "What a Shock" title to my review.

Having stayed at "Lodges" whilst on safari in Kenya, I was expecting something similar and this was the complete opposite. I am a lady who enjoys her comforts and amenities which were certainly lacking at the Chitwan Jungle Lodge. I should have questioned the tour operator more thoroughly after I read some of the negative reviews but was assured that I should take the negative reviews with a pinch of salt. Needless to say I will be informing the tour operator of my findings.

My first shock was being told that there was only electricity between 6 and 8 in the morning, a couple of hours in the afternoon (which is useless as you are kept busy during the day so can't take advantage at this time) and between 6 and 8 in the evening. I understand being environmentally friendly but sometimes this is taken to extremes and, in this situation, certainly doesn't do anything for the ecology "cause" in my book.

The rooms were awful - the bathroom was a disgrace. The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything from the next room. The bed was one of the hardest I have ever had the misfortune to sleep on (or try to sleep on - I was constantly awake with back ache, in fact every conceivable ache in my body). The mosquitos are swarming in the room (even though I was told that they spray the rooms to get rid of them, which I don't believe). I was eaten alive, even though I had doused myself in insect repellent and had insect repellent wrist bands.

This is not the type of place to stay unless you are prepared to rough it.

Having said these negative things about the accommodation, I would say that the staff were helpful and friendly and the organisation of the activities was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the elephant safaris although we only had one animal sighting - a mother rhinocerus with her baby but that's the luck of the draw as they say.

Having been told by the tour company representative in Kathmandu not to go on a walking safari due to the danger of being attacked by the animals, I was a little concerned about the "Nature Walk" which I thought was going to be a leisurely amble around the surrounding area of the lodge. By experience, I found out (too late) that "Nature Walk" meant "Walking Safari" for over two hours. Some of the terrain was quite treachurous - probably fine if you are young and fit but not when you are mid-fifties and not so fit!!

All in all, I will remember this stay as an "experience" in my world travels but I wouldn't want to go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bronwen123
buffalo
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We picked this lodge out based on other recommendations. We didn't know what to expect but went away very happy. The director of the lodge spoke perfect english and was very courteous. Activities were well planned and kept things moving along to keep us busy. We saw many different animals and enjoyed the scenery. The rooms were simple and clean. The bathrooms were clean and had been obviously washed thoroughly before we arrived. Showers were hot. Electricity was available (with a charging station for electronics) several hours per day. The food was simple but hearty. The water was clean (boiled). The bar had cold drinks at very good prices.

The trip to the lodge was great, and you get to see quite a bit of the country side and the local people going about their lives.

5 Thank jeff m
Copenhagen
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed there 2 nights and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere set by the skilled and top service minded staff. Went for elephant safari, elefant bathing, birdwatching, jeep safari etc. The rinos and crocodiles lives right outside your window. The nature is fantastic and the staff does everything to make you feel so well. The rooms are a little old .... but you only sleep there.

2 Thank Lars C