“4 1/2 Stars”

San Want Residences
Ranked #21 of 582 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Borderline between 4 or 5 stars. Would have no problem staying there again. Room is spacious, fancy, comfortable with really comfortable bed. Bathroom is well designed with a shower, bath, and mini hot tub inside. Maybe not 5 stars since isn't the best value for money in town--there are comparable hotels for slightly cheaper--but room itself is great and stay pleasant. Really nice lobby. Breakfast not bad, nothing life changing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackson830
Public_Relati0ns, 公關經理 at San Want Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Mr./Ms. Jackson830

Warm Greeting from San Want Residences Taipei! Thank you very much for staying with us and taking your precious time to share a review of your recent staying experience at San Want Residences. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your room and the overall customer service. Your comments are highly appreciated and have been shared with all the relevant departments. Thank you once again for your positive feedbacks and support, we look forward to welcoming you back at San Want Residences Taipei very soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

The hotel service team is polite and very attentive but it does get to me that they have to greet you verbally each time, all 7 of them if they are all there, it is awkward. I would rather a gentle smile of acknowledgement, but maybe it is catered for the Japanese who may like this sort of treatment, as they were many Japanese at the hotel. (my assumptions)

The hotel is across a park. With your train multi-value "Easy" card and local mobile number for pre-registration, you can rent bikes at the park, the first 30 mins is free. Bikes are great at less congested areas and to get you to nearby places quickly. It may actually save you much more time than taking the subway. However, bikes are not allowed entry into Museum grounds and some major tourist attractions. So do find out the nearest U-bike “port” to return your bike. This info is available at each subway station.

Strangely money changers are not easily found in Taipei. Change currencies at Bank of Taiwan or Mega bank for better rates than hotel or department stores.

Room Tip: Go for park view unless you like to look at buildings.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank windingpaths26
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at the San Want Residences on Nanjing East Rd. The hotel was several blocks away from an MRT subway stop, which made it a convenient location. However, it took longer to get the the MRT stop than it should have as lights to cross some of the streets are long (some cross streets did have underground paths which made it a little faster).

The rooms were comfortable, although on the small side. The bathroom, however, was quite large. It had a “full-service” toilet, whose lid opened and closed where one walked in front of it. I had fun walking in and saying “seat up” and the seat rose. Boy, am I powerful. And, of course, it had all of the “washing” features that one can find in some Asian hotels. It had a large nice rain shower and a step down Japanese-style soaking tub. The staff was very helpful and gave us good restaurant recommendations and directions.

Although many reviews of this place talked about how well the staff spoke English, we felt that they didn’t understand as much as one thought. Often they answered what they thought was the question versus what the question was. I don’t mean to single out this hotel for this issue and it was very common during our entire trip. But what is important is that they tried very hard. Usually when we asked a question, the person would call over 1-3 others, they would talk together in Taiwanese, and then the person would provide an answer.

The hotel had a little lounge area that had coffee and tea and little snacks available continually. When we originally arrived, they gave us a buy one get one drink coupon. To our surprise, they honored the coupon both nights (we didn’t ask the second night, they volunteered it). When we arrived back at the hotel after the bar closed at 9 PM, they were more than willing to bring some wine to us in the lounge area. Our room came with a buffet breakfast that offered an assortment of items for various nationalities.

Wifi was free throughout the hotel (and in the room) and was very good.

This is a very comfortable place, that was reasonably priced for what you got, and with a wonderful staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank activeboomertravel
Reviewed 4 January 2014

San Want Residences ( not to be confused with the hotel of the same name) are small luxury units centrally located in sprawling Taipei. The bedroom is comfortable, though not large, with all of the expected amenities, though the bar fridge was only sparsely stocked. The bathroom is impressive with a step down Japanese style bath and huge rainfall shower head in a separate shower.
The staff very pleasant and helpful
The hotel is easy walking to the huge Japanese Department Group (Mitsokoshi) as well as the fast, cheap and efficient MRT ( Metro). There are plenty of eateries and a night market also nearby.
Great for a stay or stop-over in Taipei

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham B

Dear Mr./Ms. Graham B,

Thank you for choosing San Want Residences Taipei and taking your precious time to share your comments with us. We are pleased to know you have enjoyed your stay and especially appreciate your kind comments regarding our service. Your positive feedbacks are the best rewards for us and have been shared with all the associates. Thank you once again for your compliments, we look forward to welcoming you back at San Want Residences Taipei very soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed - 14/12/2013

To all the lovely staff here at San Want....THANK YOU for a wonderful experince. I don't normally stay at establishments like this due to my budget. But I was stuck having to find a room for 1 night at the last minute and found this place. How lucky was I!

People have mentioned the big Japanese bath and other features of this wonderful hotel. So I wont go over that. For me, the best aspect of the hotel was the staff. From the moment I walked in, dripping wet with sweat from lugging my huge suitcase from Zhongshan mrt and from the rain, I was made to feel welcome and at home. I was swiftly checked in and shown to my room. Once there, I was shown all the features of the room and was even asked if they could make arrangements for me to get to the airport the following day. The great service and help didn't stop there. Any request or question was happly answered, from booking a massage, to local information on the best place for siu mei and dumplings, bars to try...the list goes on.

If I manage to get back to Taipei, I will certianly make sure my budget allows another stay here.

To all the staff, I hope you enjoyed the Australian chocolate I left with you as much as I enjoyed the reaction on your face....XiéXié

Frank

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I took my mother on a weekend trip to Taipei. We stayed at the San Want Residences based on the reviews. I was not familiar with the area when I booked but I figured that I couldn't go wrong with a business hotel (my mom is not the rustic type).

I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed a few others were staying on holiday (as opposed to business travel). Even though we saw a full restaurant during breakfast, we felt we were the only ones in the hotel. It was VERY quiet.

The front desk was helpful with making recommendations on things to do. They also pointed us in the right direction as we preferred to walk or use the trains. They even helped us book an afternoon at the spa at a neighboring hotel.

Breakfast was hearty - offering both Asian and Western options.

Staff was comfortable speaking in English and even corrected my Chinese :)

Rooms were clean and cozy. The bathroom was VERY interesting. The toilet had a motion sensor (and seat warmer); making each trip to the bathroom entertaining (the lid kept opening and closing). They had a Japanese style bath in addition to a standard shower (good water pressure so I was very happy). Since this is a business hotel, they also offered a mobile phone. I thought this was a nice touch as not many other hotels offer the same.

The night markets are a short taxi ride away, a cozy neighborhood walk is a few blocks down the street and the train line is within a few minutes away (access to pretty much anywhere in Taipei.

Room Tip: ask for a city view room
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you want to see how a 5 stars hotel should look than you must book this place. This hotel is very well located in Taipei. You will be surrounded with luxury like you’ve never seen before and feel yourself treated like a royalty. Everything is spotless clean, rooms are huge and very tastefully decorated, and with the most amazing bath I’ve ever seen. And you will have a superb restaurant with excellent food. All staff speaks in a very good English and they will provide excellent support. Also I loved the reading room, in which you will be provided with free biscuits and ice tea and my room with an overview to the park was fabulous. This place is flawless and there is no fault to be found. I deeply recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple