“Friendly, close to metro”

City Lake Hotel Taipei
Ranked #215 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Friendly, close to metro”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I walked into the hotel via the main road but they told me that I have to go to the back of hotel for check in. The check in process is smooth and quick. However the first time I tried to use the keycard for my room, it doesn't work, and there is no phone anywhere in the common area for me to call the frontdesk so I do not have to go all the way down to the frontdesk to fix the keycard. in the end, I went to the frontdesk again and they fixed it in no time.

I got a room facing the back of the hotel, where all the high rise residential building is blocking any possibly good view. And even on the 7th floor, I still can hear the noise generated from the traffic below. The room is quite big and spacious. The bed is a bit on the hard side, and pillow is a bit too soft. Only 2 pillows is given, or maybe I am used to have 4 pillows, especially in suite room.

The location of the hotel is in Neihu area, it is only good if you are visiting offices around this area. Around the hotel there are fastfood chain like MOS Burgers, Swensens, and couple of supermarkets and convenience store across the street, on the other side, I believe there are a lot of good food as well as there are many locals queuing for food in the evening. There is no covered walkways to the metro so it is quite difficult to get the metro station if it raining outside there, especially when it is raining season right now.

The WiFi is working on my laptop and ipad but it does not work on my iphone, I called up the frontdesk and within like 10 seconds, the IT assistant knocked on my room door and offered to help to check my iphone. I just gave it to her and she fixed it in no time. Very professional.
The issue with the WiFi login pages is that, sometimes if you cannot get the login portal, just try to browse to www.citilake.com.tw, the login portal will appear.

I extended my stay for 1 more night through verbal confirmation, and I have allowed them to pre-auth my card for the deposit, however, they did not clean up the room until I got back from my work. I dont know what is blocking them from doing so. Anyway, I asked them to clean up later when I am going to get my dinner, so when I came back from my dinner, everything is good.

I dont get to explore the surroundings much as my work seems to occupy most of my time this round. However the price is just right for business trip, the company approved it without any questions asked.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank kons168

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 April 2014

City Lake was one shown in the corporate hotel list. All of my colleagues suggested me that this hotel was the best among others in the list. And I've realized that I made the right decision. 4 days and 3 nights at City Lake was very good. Room features with good facilities. The hotel location is also easy to access from the MRT station. Good choice for business and personal trip.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
LINCOLN
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Rooms are large, beds are good, and the staff pleasant and quick to help. So,, at $92US, it was a good deal especially as it included a very nice breakfast. My wife and I stayed two nights. The first night the Wi-Fi did not work in our room but that was fixed by the second night. We learned that if you have a problem, ask for Jeffery at the front desk...he was especially helpful.

The only knock on the City Lake is its location. About 40 minutes from the High Speed Train Station by taxi (about $12 US). There is rapid transit of some sort very close to the hotel but we chose not to try it. But if you have a reason to be in this part of Taipei, then the City Lake is a good choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe-Lincoln-CA
Taiwan
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Every year I stay in this hotel for a week or 2, I like everything of this hotel. The location is not in the heart of Taipei city so it's nice and quiet, but to get around you'll have to take the subway, it's about 30 minute to Taipei main station. The rooms are clean and specious, I always stay at Executive King, you have a bedroom and a separate living room, the bathroom is huge with a jacuzzi tub. The breakfast is not especially impressive but the chef tris to change the menu everyday so it's not too boring. Besides, you can always ask them to cook the eggs the way you like, that's a plus.
The staff is usually friendly, I can't say it has always been this way for the past 10 years, but now every time I stay there, the staff is very helpful.
The hotel located near the Bi Tang Lake, it's nice to take a walk by the lake in the evening, quiet safe, too. (Just don't go anywhere dark)
It's about 7~10 minutes walk to the nearest metro station, the hotel also provide a shuttle bus to the metro station, like, once a day in the morning.

Room Tip: I didn't like the room around the corners of the building because of its odd shape, but that...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Genie22
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Was pleasantly surprised with hotel and service. Definitely a highly recommended location!

The breakfast was also very good!

Very convenient to trains and local restaurants.

When I return to Taiwan, City Lake Hotel will be where I stay!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank D N
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed here for ten days while visiting family. My room was a deluxe suite. The room size was good with a reasonable, but not luxurious, amount of extra space. The bathroom was ok but the shower door would not close properly. The bed in my room was comfortable but the sheet covering the quilt was too small, so it usually resulted in "twisted sheet syndrome" each morning. Overall the room was ok-ish.

The 12th floor was quiet in general. Other lower floors of the hotel are filled with tour groups, and...uhhh...they're noisy to say the least. Really noisy. And their behavior in the breakfast area each morning could be best described as "locust-like".

The room cleaning was passable with one big exception:. They are very tight with simple amenities like bottled water and toilet paper. For example, if you have a 1/4 roll of toilet paper left, they won't change the roll or leave an extra one. If you have half a bottle of water left, they won't give you a new one. If you've worn your paper-thin slippers for a week, they still won't give you a new pair even if you place the slippers in the trash can. In my view, this penny pinching is a very foolish business strategy.

The buffet breakfast was a total disaster. The food was completely below standard in terms of quality and authenticity. Disgusting wet runny eggs were a daily sight. Undercooked bacon, soaking wet plastic "ham", and mushy boiled cabbage completed the picture. Even the Chinese noodles were a daily miss. How can they screw up Chinese noodles?! There was supposed to be a fried egg chef on duty, but he would wander in late every single day and spend twenty minutes setting up rather than serving the guests. About the only good thing they had in the breakfast area was the coffee maker.

Service was also a bit below standard. During check-in, the front desk could not easily explain why their total did not match the total that I had printed out from their website. After staying for ten days, we asked for a 30 minute late check out, but we were refused from Manager Chen; only explanation was that this was "against their policy". So we had to sit in the lobby for 30 minutes surrounded by our luggage while waiting for our hotel car to take us to the airport. You can be sure that our room was sitting empty upstairs and was not cleaned until 4:30pm that day, as it had been every day during our stay. So why make us wait in the lobby???

There were three washing machines on the top floor, which would have been convenient, but the water to these machines was cut off when we tried to use them. Calls to the front desk about this were fruitless.

In summary, ok-ish hardware, very bad software, i.e. bad management.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank thomasw98
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed 2 nights with a tour group. 2 mins to MRT station with shops nearby.
Comfortable and clean. No complain on the room.
But if you are in Taipei for a shopping trip, this is not the ideal hotel as it is far from Ximenting and major shopping areas.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicky75_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taipei
La Maison Hotel
Neihu District
Elegance Hotel
Elegance Hotel
#495 of 571 in Taipei

Been to City Lake Hotel Taipei? Share your experiences!